What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I watched the Aftermatch last week & when he was asked about the crowd-funding idea he was adamant it was NOT happening (he repeated that) & he thanked everyone who jumped on board but said it won't be happening...I think he might've got a slap on the wrist for putting it forward - imo that's what it seemed like

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I watched the Aftermatch last week & when he was asked about the crowd-funding idea he was adamant it was NOT happening (he repeated that) & he thanked everyone who jumped on board but said it won't be happening...I think he might've got a slap on the wrist for putting it forward - imo that's what it seemed like

Strange from him, considering yesterday on his Facebook page he announced it could be a goer so must have changed his mind again

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Strange from him, considering yesterday on his Facebook page he announced it could be a goer so must have changed his mind again

Yeah, just looked and he's still pushing it...heard what I heard & have been trying to find the footage but no luck yet. if I do I'll post it. Besides that, don't doubt the passion but do doubt the leadership nous and the willingness of fans to buy into this type of thing - can't see what it will achieve but can see the issues it could cause. Doesn't solve the club's direction and could in fact be really detrimental, multiple 'owners' means multiple opinions and multiple ideas about how the club progresses...as if there aren't enough problems now. Can't see what he thinks this will solve? And who would EVERYONE be happy running the show?

Rich102

Staff member
Cloudsurfer. I read in an article somewhere that after Betham proposed the crowd-funding scheme Doyle came back to him and said Watson wouldn't be accepting any such proposal, so he dropped the idea. Later Watson said he would consider the idea, so Betham started it off again.
Another sign of confusion at the top? Or Watson seeing a way of getting money and still keeping his hooks in the club? Who knows? I am tempted to say who cares?

Skinner

Coach
Cloudsurfer. I read in an article somewhere that after Betham proposed the crowd-funding scheme Doyle came back to him and said Watson wouldn't be accepting any such proposal, so he dropped the idea. Later Watson said he would consider the idea, so Betham started it off again.
Another sign of confusion at the top? Or Watson seeing a way of getting money and still keeping his hooks in the club? Who knows? I am tempted to say who cares?
I will say it Rich.....who cares. Who gives an actual stuff. All the fans want is a team that goes out, wanting to win, every match day. I'm sure that I will be corrected if I am wrong.

Rich102

Staff member
The Auckland Rugby League have taken a major step in their bid to gain a controlling interest in the Warriors.

The Herald on Sunday understands that the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust, acting on behalf of the ARL, have agreed to start due diligence on the NRL club.

It's believed ARL and Warriors representatives met late last week, and the terms of agreement to begin due diligence were signed.

Due diligence, which can take weeks, is the final step before a sale can be negotiated. It's essentially a comprehensive appraisal of a firm's assets, liabilities and accounts.

This move does not mean the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust are guaranteed to buy the NRL club, or that owner Eric Watson is obliged to sell. But it is a major development which signals the strong intention of both parties.

The ARL weren't prepared to undertake due diligence until they were convinced that purchasing the club was prudent, as well as being beneficial to their clubs and the wider game in the region. That's because the due diligence process will cost up to $60,000.

However, the ARL, after numerous meetings with Warriors representatives and consultation with their stakeholders, have decided to take the next step. It's a significant move because no other potential owner, of which there are at least two, can currently take this step.

It is understood the Warriors' owners will be dealing exclusively with the ARL and Carlaw Park Heritage Trust in the next few weeks, until a sale agreement is reached or one of the parties decides against it.

There is still a gulf in the respective valuations of the club, with majority owner Watson holding out for a figure significantly higher than most of the potential buyers are prepared to pay.

But Watson is also believed to have softened his stance, and he and executive chairman Jim Doyle believe the ARL are the best fit as the club's new owners.

The ARL won't be looking for sole ownership -- they will take a 51 per cent controlling interest -- but they also have corporate partners lined up to buy the remaining share.

As first reported in the Herald on Sunday in August, if the ARL were to gain control of the Warriors, it could be a significant boost for the sport in this country.

It would lead to stronger pathways and better avenues for development, and improved alignment between the NRL operation and the region's amateur clubs.

It would also mean, in time, that the huge drain of talent to Australia could be lessened, as promising local players have options to continue their development in this city.

ARL chairman Cameron McGregor said he was unable to comment on the latest developments and that it remained a "confidential process".

When contacted by the Herald on Sunday, Doyle said that "everything related to the potential sale of the Warriors is private and confidential, out of respect to all parties involved".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11933099

Benek

Juniors
Feels like the best possible kind of buyer the club could wish for. If this happens I'm happy.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Didn't see it myself, but guy at work said he saw on the news last night that this ARL deal is getting very close, and that they've said they will clean out the board and Doyle isn't safe at all

Izz

Bench
Is the ARL a step forward or a step backward? Inclined more towards the latter, myself.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm in the step sideways camp too.

What concerns me are all the rumours of getting rid of this person and that person (admin, coach, player) before the sale is even done.

Gives the impression of making a statement and dick measuring rather than getting the sale finalised and doing a proper evaluation before making decisions.

Reactions: JJ

LeagueNut

First Grade
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...eagues-deal-to-buy-the-nz-warriors-falls-over

Auckland Rugby League's deal to buy the New Zealand Warriors falls over

The Auckland Rugby League's negotiations to buy the New Zealand Warriors have broken down.

The ARL had put in a bid for a majority share of the Warriors to businessman Eric Watson a couple of months ago and it was thought agreement on an asking price had been reached.

But ARL chairman Cameron McGregor said on Tuesday the deal was off.

"I can confirm the contract is at an end. Quite simply we couldn't agree on terms with the Warriors," McGregor told Radio Sport.

"Both parties signed a confidentiality agreement, so we can't say more than that at the moment."

The ARL wanted a 55 per cent shareholding in the club, with the rest of the ownership made up of three corporate partners with 15 per cent shareholding each.

"We're very, very disappointed. We spent a lot of time and money in our efforts and, yes we are very disappointed at this outcome. It wasn't what we were hoping for," McGregor told Radio Sport.

"We've indicated to the Warriors that we're open to negotiate with them at any stage."

McGregor said in September the reason they wanted to own the club they sold in 1999 was to rejuvenate rugby league in Auckland.

The ARL envisaged starting up a new semi-professional tournament, having the Warriors at the top of a pyramid with a newly formed Bartercard Cup type league underneath it.

Auckland businessman Paul Davys had also wanted to purchase the club, but withdrew from negotiations three months ago.

Former Warriors captain Monty Betham also launched a crowdfunded bid for a share in the NRL team.

playdaball

Bench
I'm a little surprised that Ex Salford owner, Marwan Koukash, isn't in the mix. He has stated he'd like to own a NRL club and dismissed the Titans, saying that they needto relocate to Brisbane. Akld is a different beast with genuine potential.

Perhaps he only w.ants an Aust based team?

Rich102

Staff member
Latest news suggests a NFL team may be interested.
How would this help the Warriors?
Sounds typical Watson. Sooner he is out of the picture the better.
Go team Oggie!