What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Aragorn

First Grade
his signing could be the catalyst for better things to come.

I cant remember the last super star signing that we had - superstar meaning someone at their peak and not on the decline - dennis betts?....

jaseg

Juniors
his signing could be the catalyst for better things to come.

I cant remember the last super star signing that we had - superstar meaning someone at their peak and not on the decline - dennis betts?....

Steve Price.

Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head, though.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm guessing this is going to be an absolute PR nightmare. The Warriors will play it cautious, allow him to take his time, all on the understanding he's coming, keep a stackload of cap free for him, and then at the last second he'll announce he's not coming. That's Warrior ball, yo.

Benek

Juniors
Just thinking about it today and why the hell do we want to sign Tomkins? Locke is one of our best player so why would we shell out too much money for a replacement in a position we already have well covered? Surely with the 1 MIL we're going to give Tomkins we could entice a #6 and a prop here for next year and actually fill the positions we need filling rather than buy someone untested in NRL to fill a position we don't need. Is anyone else thinking this or are we just excited to be getting anyone at this point?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
There is no decent 5/8ths off contract. They did what you are suggesting by trying to get Carney with a million $ deal.

And then you would want to spend big money on a prop I'm gathering from what you are saying. The only two props worth good money who were off contract were Scott and Tolman who have both been resigned by their clubs.

And if we had signed one of them it would be doing exactly what you are complaining about with Tomkins, spending money to bring in a player where we have 4 quality props, we don't need to be spending big money on a top quality prop. Just need another good depth prop since Packer/Rapira are injury prone.

tangalife

Juniors
We are well and truly sorted for props. A few weeks ago I was thinking props as it looked like Lillyman and Rapira were looking a bit off. But they are going good. And our reserve props are also pretty good.

Main:
Matulino
Packer
Rapira
Lillyman

2nd Tier/Injury Cover:
Matagi
Gubb

Backrowers who could slot in:
Sione Lousi
Ikahififo

Iafeta

Referee
Interesting discussion on props with size - Sione Lousi has that covered for mine. I thought he was fairly decent in his first grade appearances when he moved from the backrow to prop. Big unit, and will get better.

Interesting discussion on props with size - Sione Lousi has that covered for mine. I thought he was fairly decent in his first grade appearances when he moved from the backrow to prop. Big unit, and will get better.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like....

Iafeta

Referee
I don't know what the expectation is TBF. Goes forward, makes his tackles. In the lower grade has shown ball playing ability. What are we after? IMO there's not as many David Gillespie type props out there these days. The game itself is a lot softer. As long as he doesn't hit like a pillow then I think he's got a lot to offer us.

hitman82

Bench
I rate Sione Lousi. Not sure why some people don't see the same shit? Maybe they look at his Lauaki / Ta'ai appearance and assume he is the same kind of player. He's got good footwork, a big tackle, endurance and is disciplined. Also he can offload... really unsure why people don't seem to want to allow his development to continue here. Lousi is only 23 and 31 games into his NRL career... early days yet.

Izz

Bench
He lets himself down defensively (the amount of times he gets wrong-footed or is left standing like a block, especially late in games), but that can be improved. He has an amazingly slow play the ball. Offensively he's solid right now, though he bends the advantage line less than you'd like for a big man--but i guess up until recently Lillyman, Rapira and Packer weren't doing much bending either. He's prone to a rash offload, but that's inexperience more than anything. Performed well for the first third of last season before last year's lack-of-fitness regime did him in.

Good depth at this stage. Fully fit i'd have him in before Matagi or Gubb, though i like how quickly Matagi plays the ball and how often he has the markers in awkward positions.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I really don't get where small stops and big starts with y'all- one minute a 105kg bloke is too small, the next a 106kg or 103kg bloke is what we need....just give me good players plz kthxbai

hitman82

Bench
I really don't get where small stops and big starts with y'all- one minute a 105kg bloke is too small, the next a 106kg or 103kg bloke is what we need....just give me good players plz kthxbai

Reported player weights don't mean anything though, remember? So it's just a big bermuda triangle of jibber jabber :lol:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Reported player weights don't mean anything though, remember? So it's just a big bermuda triangle of jibber jabber :lol:

Exactly, you might think you're buying a giant and a midget turns up at the club! Sam Kasiano looks big on TV but maybe in person he's only 5'4" and plays in massive platform shoes!

I just think it's a bit kneejerk to decide that, say, Lillyman/Rapira are too small whenever they're not playing well. Lillyman is now in good form again and suddenly he's big enough. Rapira has been an effective prop for years and if anything is holding him back now it's simply the cumulative effect of injuries and/or poor form.

hitman82

Bench
I really think we would benefit from having a legit big guy in the second row and/or front row. I'm talking about someone with massive physical impact instead of say, Ikahihifo or Rapira/Lillyman.
I rate all our front rowers when they are in form - but I have always wanted a bench monster or two, just to throw at tiring teams and wear down their tacklers, making space for our fast guys.

Skinner

Coach
I really think we would benefit from having a legit big guy in the second row and/or front row. I'm talking about someone with massive physical impact instead of say, Ikahihifo or Rapira/Lillyman.
I rate all our front rowers when they are in form - but I have always wanted a bench monster or two, just to throw at tiring teams and wear down their tacklers, making space for our fast guys.

I think you are describing a young, fit Feka.

tangalife

Juniors
The only prop I would bother going for would be someone like Feka. Only plays 30mins but goes nuts just like he did. Bring him on the right time would be devasting.

Im sure we can squeeze more minutes out of the 3 other props in the lineup or even carry 4+1 props if we are still using a 80min hooker (which wont be the case next year), Mateo still plays 60-80mins alongside Taylor/Lowrie and Mannering.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
But Feka was just a 105kg bloke who was always overweight ;-)

2005 Feka was awesome, he was around 110kg, fit and played enough minutes (though that was always easy with Price in the side). Such a shame he went to the UK just as he really hit his straps as an NRL prop. He'd still only be 30 now wouldn't he? I remember his debut as an 18 year old against the Northern Eagles, pretty much became a cult favourite with his very first hitup (one of his trademark charges from a mile back)
Our front row that year was one of our best ever, Price, Wiki, Feka, Seuseu, just a shame we had a muppet coach in Kemp.