What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Micistm

Bench
Where do the Titans get their big bank from? If they're far under the cap we must be f**king swimming in the shit.

Not fussed either way tbh. Electric attacking player, but very questionable in defense and suspect under the high ball. Would rather we focus on a backrower who can actually break a tackle, and even a hard nosed, chews nails and kicks arse prop.

Me either. Terrific attacker as you say, but even if he lights up the NRL we have other issues before FB, like error reduction, gelling as a team properly, penalties cutback and defence with those oh so often soft tries.
There's glimpses here n there...
I could see us getting this guy for $$$, then him out injured in round one:lol: IMO it is a big mistake to put so much cap in a particular player. The Roosters can do it, God knows how they do it, I'm assuming they have a second room of contracts ala Storm style

spear tackle

Juniors
If we have missed him I'm not too fussed, that sort of money could be better placed buying several players (assuming we can find any).Besides if we got him and he were to go down in a screaming heap injured in one of his first games we'd be up the creek furthur than what we are now because you'd think we would have traded or offloaded any ready replacement for him.
As for Locke I think he's generally a pretty good player and in the last few weeks seems to be getting some of his form back that he had in 2011. Who would you put there at fullback in his place from the current squad? Fish? That would be a defensive disaster instead of just losing games as we have been recently we'd be getting a right toweling like what the Eels dished out to us in round one.
It's pretty hard to play to your strengths and be the last line of defence when others think they are playing touch football.

tangalife

Juniors
how the titans can fit a 1m player in is beyond me.

we need a marquee player, we need sam tomkins. the guy is explosive as all hell.

besides 1m is probably about 750k equivilant of the old cap, which is probably about right for us to obtain tompkins. we would need to be offering 1m to any player in the top 10 in the world. if we dont get tomkins for a mil, and still look for a marquee player we will still be spending a mil.

Diesel

Referee
Most reports are saying we are the #1 choice to pick him up, this was the first article in 10 or do days to mention the Titans

LeftRightOut

Juniors
I can't say I'm too concerned talent-wise if we miss out on Tomkins - Locke is a very capable FB who has the ability to set a game alight, however if the FB isn't getting quality offloads from the likes of Mateo or inside balls from the dummy half (ala Storm) we could have a Slater/Inglis lovechild and they'd go tryless.
That said, Locke could go looking for a little more work perhaps.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Warriors rumour mill is getting lol crazy now. How many players have we got going all over the place?

Mateo -> Dragons/Panthers
Loko -> Warriors
Tomkins -> Titans/Warriors
Hurrell -> Wigan (depending on Tomkins)
Locke -> Roosters/Wigan*
Kasiano -> Warriors*
Blair -> Warriors*
Some random british forward - Warriors

Have I missed anything? Keep in mind a lot of these are fans who claim to have "sources" so are likely complete BS.

Scott

Bench
FMD - not Adam Blair??

Locke to the Roosters is a couple of years old isn't it?? They have RTS in line for Minichello's jersey.

I read somewhere that Mateo's wife has left her job at the Warriors & and is pregnant. I'd suggest we are very very unlikely to keep him beyond this year.

Rich102

Staff member
I can't say I'm too concerned talent-wise if we miss out on Tomkins - Locke is a very capable FB who has the ability to set a game alight, however if the FB isn't getting quality offloads from the likes of Mateo or inside balls from the dummy half (ala Storm) we could have a Slater/Inglis lovechild and they'd go tryless.
That said, Locke could go looking for a little more work perhaps.

I don't know if Locke is injured or just gun-shy. Certainly he could put in a bit more. On form he is a top player.
Hasn't been the same since he hit the goal post.
Welcome along.

One Warrior

Bench
I don't know if Locke is injured or just gun-shy. Certainly he could put in a bit more. On form he is a top player.
Hasn't been the same since he hit the goal post.
Welcome along.

I disagree on Locke, yes he is a top player on form and last year was obviously playing injured, however the goal post incident was in 2010 and his best year was 2011.

Iafeta

Referee
I think we'll still get Tomkins. I'm not too fussed that the Titans are interested (they've been known to be interested for some time). Given in their ranks they have Bird, Bailey, Zillman, Harrison, Myles, Sezer, Taylor, Douglas et al on their list, there's no way they'll be able to match the Warriors. And from what I've heard, Tomkins has made it fairly clear he's standing on the rooftop doing a Jerry Maguire... SHOW ME THE MONEY!

With Mateo it will come down to $. Again I think we're much better placed than St George Illawarra. Yes, its difficult to get them to Auckland, but once you're here unless you're desperate for the family being back in Sydney, its not easy to transfer back.

If I was to go through the list, we'll get Tomkins, retain Mateo, retain Locke (either him or Tomkins will play 6 and Leuluai will be interchange rake), lose Godinet, gain a centre somewhere (don't think it'll be Chambers, maybe Loko), retain Friend. We have room to burn under the cap. Thats also why I don't think the Warriors are going to trade off any regulars from the first grade team to Wigan. Bare in mind that it would seem the only club who has spoken about using a trade system is the Warriors. Titans haven't, Roosters when they were interested haven't. There's no salary cap punishment for using a transfer fee.

tangalife

Juniors
im just gonna leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHfCqiin3I

and before anyone critises it with "its the ESL" , "the defence makes him look better" its clearly evident in this video he is very explosive, quick, has a good defty pass (anyone see the benji flicks?), good fend, good turn of direction, and what I quite like is his rangy running style (looks similar to slater) which is quite hard to stop hence his explosiveness. He is clearly too good for the ESL so will be more than capable of the NRL.

At worst he will turn out to be a GOOD NRL fullback, if he fails to live up to expectations as one of the best in the world.

Aragorn

First Grade
im just gonna leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHfCqiin3I

and before anyone critises it with "its the ESL" , "the defence makes him look better" its clearly evident in this video he is very explosive, quick, has a good defty pass (anyone see the benji flicks?), good fend, good turn of direction, and what I quite like is his rangy running style (looks similar to slater) which is quite hard to stop hence his explosiveness. He is clearly too good for the ESL so will be more than capable of the NRL.

At worst he will turn out to be a GOOD NRL fullback, if he fails to live up to expectations as one of the best in the world.

i didnt see any defence or tackling in that highlight reel........... is that a concern?

vvvrulz

Coach
i didnt see any defence or tackling in that highlight reel........... is that a concern?

Never thought I'd say this but I agree with Aragorn.

He's got plenty of goods on attack but in the NRL defence is just as important as a fullback. If we do get him, I'd slot him at 6 and keep Locke out the back to start with.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most Billy Slater, Benji Marshall, Ben Barba etc 4 minute highlight videos on youtbe show don't feature 'defensive highlights' :lol:

I seem to remember Barba being doubted because he was bad under the high ball and defensively, didn't seem to stop him winning dally M within 2 years. Keep trying to pick holes.

Also people think of Locke (and a few other Warriors players) in 2011 terms. He's just a solid NRL fullback at the moment.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Never thought I'd say this but I agree with Aragorn.

He's got plenty of goods on attack but in the NRL defence is just as important as a fullback. If we do get him, I'd slot him at 6 and keep Locke out the back to start with.

The Dally M and fullback of a grand finalist team of 2012 says hello.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
His defense is shit though. There's no doubt he'll carve up on attack, but defensively he's completely lost.

Someone posted earlier in this thread (or the recruitment thread) his 3 try haul against Wakefield. Watch the video and have a look at the four Wakefield tries to see how flimsy his tackling was and how poor his positioning was. That's scary.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
His defense is shit though. There's no doubt he'll carve up on attack, but defensively he's completely lost.

Someone posted earlier in this thread (or the recruitment thread) his 3 try haul against Wakefield. Watch the video and have a look at the four Wakefield tries to see how flimsy his tackling was and how poor his positioning was. That's scary.

Might take a season to get up to NRL standard. There wouldn't have been much emphasis placed on it in his carrer so far, once again aka Ben Barba.

But I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to take a bit of a gamble on him rather than sitting miles under the salary cap and making mediocre signings, worst case scenario he turns out to be a a decent NRL half/fullback.