What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Iafeta

Referee
The only prop I would bother going for would be someone like Feka. Only plays 30mins but goes nuts just like he did. Bring him on the right time would be devasting.

Im sure we can squeeze more minutes out of the 3 other props in the lineup or even carry 4+1 props if we are still using a 80min hooker (which wont be the case next year), Mateo still plays 60-80mins alongside Taylor/Lowrie and Mannering.

Ironic I'm posting this given my login, but I think the Palaeeasina days are long gone in the NRL. Realistically he started with a hiss and a roar, then the spleen injury really slowed him down for a year or two. Unbelievable physical specimen, no doubt.

tangalife

Juniors
Sorry my post should really read 'a player AKIN/SIMILAR to Feka' not the man himself ha! He would be well past it now.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
From what I've seen he went the same way as Ali in the ESL anyway, got fat and played 20 minutes a match because that was all he needed to do.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
2005 Feka was awesome, he was around 110kg, fit and played enough minutes (though that was always easy with Price in the side). Such a shame he went to the UK just as he really hit his straps as an NRL prop. He'd still only be 30 now wouldn't he? I remember his debut as an 18 year old against the Northern Eagles, pretty much became a cult favourite with his very first hitup (one of his trademark charges from a mile back)
Our front row that year was one of our best ever, Price, Wiki, Feka, Seuseu, just a shame we had a muppet coach in Kemp.

Yep totally agree.

I seem to remember Feka impressing me most in 2004 when he took on a more senior role in a rubbish side and sometimes played some big minutes.

I still maintain signing Wiki was a massive fail (most unpopular opinion I could have, I know). I really didn't rate the Wiki who played for us and, in signing Wiki and Price, Feka basically took a backwards step in 2005 and became an impact prop again. I imagine it would've been an easy decision to move to the ESL after that.

As fun as it was to see Feka make those massive charges, I could never see any reason why he couldn't be an effective prop playing bigger minutes. Several times he did that for us and he was still an effective metre eater without the 20 metre run up.

Didn't follow him closely in the ESL but I imagine he became something of a caricature of himself. Probably got described a lot as a "cult hero" and "fan favourite". Could've been more imo.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
ftr, my preferred type of prop is actually the big, tall sort- like a Shillington, Civoniceva type of build. I think they're the most effective and physically imposing. If we're looking for "big" props I'd rather someone like that than a stocky fatty.

Blair

Coach
Ironic I'm posting this given my login, but I think the Palaeeasina days are long gone in the NRL. Realistically he started with a hiss and a roar, then the spleen injury really slowed him down for a year or two. Unbelievable physical specimen, no doubt.

He had a brief moment in the GF where he looked like he could turn the game, in that tense time before a bloodied Fittler kicked that 40-20, from there of course it was all Roosters.

My brother and I used to chuckle in those days because he reminded us of our old school mate - Teina. Although Paleaaesina would gain more metres.

Teina tended to bump off about 8 or 9 guys but only move side-to-side, gaining only a metre or two. It was pure adrenalin though when Teina had the ball.

Teina's other flaw was that he was only good 10-15 minute bursts.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He had a brief moment in the GF where he looked like he could turn the game, in that tense time before a bloodied Fittler kicked that 40-20, from there of course it was all Roosters.

Must've been a very brief moment given he didn't play that game.

Blair

Coach
Must've been a very brief moment given he didn't play that game.

Was he there during the play-offs though?

Was he dropped, injured, or just overlooked for the GF?

Definitely remember him in that 2003 semi v Canberra running amok. Actually, come to think of it, this might have been when we made our Teina analogy.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Was he there during the play-offs though?

Was he dropped, injured, or just overlooked for the GF?

Definitely remember him in that 2003 semi v Canberra running amok. Actually, come to think of it, this might have been when we made our Teina analogy.

He didn't play at all in the 2002 finals.

My memory was that he was injured that whole season, but I looked in to it and actually it seems he played sporadically throughout the year but was regularly dropped.

He burst his spleen in 2001 and I think what happen was he lost a bit of confidence/fitness and didn't fully recover until 2003.

Juju

Juniors
Russell Crowe reportedly mentioned to Tomkins not to sign with a NRL club outside of Australia.
What a total prick.

South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe has jokingly warned England fullback Sam Tomkins off joining the Warriors in the NRL.

Tomkins has been heavily linked with a move to Mount Smart from the Super League, where he was awarded the player of the season or 'Man of Steel' last year.

Sky Sports News in England set Tomkins up interviewing stars on the London red carpet of the new Superman movie, also called 'Man of Steel'.

That's where Crowe offered the advice.

He says Tomkins is a brilliant player, but he shouldn't sign with an NRL team from outside Australia.

Sam Tomkins said earlier in the week he is yet to sign with anyone.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/n...nrl-russell-crowe-warns-tomkins-off-warriors/

Last edited: