What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors

Saints fan

Juniors
It was stated plain and simple on the radio here this morning that (if they make it into fourth spot) the Warriors will play their game at Mt Smart on the Friday night-no questions asked. Apparently the NRL considered moving it to Saturday but it won't fit the broadcasting etc.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
It was stated plain and simple on the radio here this morning that (if they make it into fourth spot) the Warriors will play their game at Mt Smart on the Friday night-no questions asked. Apparently the NRL considered moving it to Saturday but it won't fit the broadcasting etc.

Good stuff, I had a feeling the vichyballer from the roar was talking shit seeing as the Warriors are not guaranteed a top 4 spot and as no one knows what position they'd finish in if they indeed did finish in the top 4, so how would he know what day they'd play.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good stuff, I had a feeling the vichyballer from the roar was talking shit seeing as the Warriors are not guaranteed a top 4 spot and as no one knows what position they'd finish in if they indeed did finish in the top 4, so how would he know what day they'd play.

They're pretty much no chance of finishing higher than 4th, so it's a pretty safe bet that IF the Warriors make the top 4 they'll be 4th, and playing on the Friday night as 4th vs 5th is always the first of the prelim finals to be played.

AuDragon

Juniors
Bigger question is what about the second week if Warriors do make 4th and win the first finals game, or in case first and second lose in the first week, where would a Warriors home GF qualifier be played?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
what about the 2007 QF vs Parramatta? Even though the Warriors lost that game, the whole crowd on the eastern side of the ground clothed in black was somewhat special as well. Haven't seen something like that at a game for quite sometime.

Was at that too, definitely the Roosters game was bigger. Although the Eels game was our first playoff match in 4 years, the Roosters one seemed to have more of a buzz to it. We'd just beaten Melbourne in Melbourne, and no one had even considered we'd get a home final in week two. I even almost threw away my season pass at the end of the round robin, thank goodness I didn't.

Haha, just saw Izz pretty much said exactly the same thing. Oh well.

Pretty sure 2nd week of finals would be at Mt Smart as well. Only change in the rules this year is that if someone like the Dragons or Tigers were hosting this, it would go to ANZ as opposed to Kogarah or Leichhardt.

BuffaloRules

Coach
This flogger at the Roar seems to think that Kiwis wont be interested in the Warriors...

Will Sinclair said | Today | Report comment
Given that the NRL finals will be held during the RWC, I?m not sure anyone in NZ will notice!

Did you happen to see Steve Price on the League Lounge last night?
He said that even a home semi final for the Warriors would be completely swamped by the RWC, and that the NRL would have to be very careful with their scheduling if they wanted to get any coverage in NZ.
I think the main issue is that ? should the Warriors finish 4th ? they?ll be playing a home semi at the same time the All Blacks are playing their opening game.
Price seemed to think the Warriors could be playing in front of an empty stadium!

Did Price really say that?

One Warrior

Bench
Price has got it wrong, we will easily fill Mt Smart, for me Warriors up against the All Blacks, no contest, Warriors all the way, but let's get the home semi first.

broncos2010

Juniors
Please these guys will be one of the first to drop when it comes to step up time in the finals or go home. more then half the teams are making up the numbers only real chance are the tigers , broncos and storm and perhaps dragons if they pull out of this problem they have at the moment the rest are just there for the ride.

eozsmiles

Bench
If this game clashes with the All Blacks, is it slated to be shown on a different TV station? No doubt if the games clash and they are to be shown by the same provider then the Warriors game won't be shown live in NZ whch would be a shame.

Saints fan

Juniors
If this game clashes with the All Blacks, is it slated to be shown on a different TV station? No doubt if the games clash and they are to be shown by the same provider then the Warriors game won't be shown live in NZ whch would be a shame.

We have 3 different pay TV channels over here. Sky Sports 1 is the channel that will be showing the yawnion (I think it is the All Blacks vs. Fiji), while Sky Sports 2 is the channel that covers the NRL. So the Warriors game will be shown live on Sky Sports 2.
To complicate things further, the actual clash of the games would depend when the various games start, bearing in mind that there is an Opening Ceremony that night.

Didgi

Would it be all that drastic to move it to Saturday and push the other games back so there's 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday? Really I think it'd get plenty enough coverage but it's got to be an option.

eozsmiles

Bench
We have 3 different pay TV channels over here. Sky Sports 1 is the channel that will be showing the yawnion (I think it is the All Blacks vs. Fiji), while Sky Sports 2 is the channel that covers the NRL. So the Warriors game will be shown live on Sky Sports 2.
To complicate things further, the actual clash of the games would depend when the various games start, bearing in mind that there is an Opening Ceremony that night.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that it will be shown somewhere and won't get bumped to 1030pm or something silly.

eozsmiles

Bench
Would it be all that drastic to move it to Saturday and push the other games back so there's 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday? Really I think it'd get plenty enough coverage but it's got to be an option.

They'd be reluctant to move the game from Friday. Won't want to give the Rugby and AFL a free kick for the Friday night viewers.

Red Bear

Referee
That.
What time are the finals kick off on saturday, 5:30/7:30 or 6:30/8:30? Could have one at 5/6:30 NZ time and have a triple header of games, but the earlierst game would lose viewers to sport participation, afternoon activities etc

Saints fan

Juniors
As to whether it would draw a significant crowd @ Mt Smart, I think it would. Most Kiwis start jumping on the bandwagon when the Warriors are in pretty good nick and they get all sorts of 'support' that they don't usually get usually get. Obviously if they do snag fourth spot (and beat the Dragons :( on the way there) there will be a lot of hype around and they will have no problem packing out the stadium.
It might depend on who they play as well because there will undoubtably be supporters of other clubs in Auckland.

Juju

Juniors
If the Warriors do qualify for a home playoff - this would sell out within hours, I have no doubt.

Please these guys will be one of the first to drop when it comes to step up time in the finals or go home. more then half the teams are making up the numbers only real chance are the tigers , broncos and storm and perhaps dragons if they pull out of this problem they have at the moment the rest are just there for the ride.

I imagine your opinion ov the Warriors would be vastly different if they had got up against the Broncos @ Suncorp 3 weeks ago. Funny how the smallest thing (i.e. if Johnson's field goal was a foot longer) can change a muppet's perception ov a team. If I was a Broncos fan I'd be worried, if they were real contenders you would expect them to put away an opponent at home when that opponent will be cannon fodder come finals week 1.

LeagueNut

First Grade
The thing I can't figure out is why they wouldn't consider switching the 4v5 and 3v6 matches around if the Warriors happened to qualify 4th. Having the Warriors play on a Saturday night would be much better IMO.

hutch

First Grade
even if the warriors dont finish in the top 4, they are still a chance of hosting a semi final in week 2 if thats the way the draw falls. they could possibly host a prelim final if things go their way! mt smart wouldnt be big enough!