What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
even if the warriors dont finish in the top 4, they are still a chance of hosting a semi final in week 2 if thats the way the draw falls. they could possibly host a prelim final if things go their way! mt smart wouldnt be big enough!

If that happened, would there be any way they could use Eden Park?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If that happened, would there be any way they could use Eden Park?

Nope. Too hard logistically and sponsors wouldn't want it because Eden Park is a clean stadium during the World Cup. And I wouldn't want to go there anyway, negates home advantage to a fair degree.

I have no doubt we'd sell Mt Smart out in mere minutes. Don't know why the hell Price said there'd be issues. For a start, it's only Tonga the All Blacks are playing. Secondly, union and league crowds are very much different over here. I'd go to a pre-season NRL match over a World Cup match if they clashed.

Only issue I see is transport. It's going to be horrendously stretched as it is with just the All Blacks game. A Warriors one too would make traffic an absolute chaotic mess, and I imagine a lot of people would be unable to make it. I can forsee horror stories..

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Nope. Too hard logistically and sponsors wouldn't want it because Eden Park is a clean stadium during the World Cup. And I wouldn't want to go there anyway, negates home advantage to a fair degree.

I have no doubt we'd sell Mt Smart out in mere minutes. Don't know why the hell Price said there'd be issues. For a start, it's only Tonga the All Blacks are playing. Secondly, union and league crowds are very much different over here. I'd go to a pre-season NRL match over a World Cup match if they clashed.

Only issue I see is transport. It's going to be horrendously stretched as it is with just the All Blacks game. A Warriors one too would make traffic an absolute chaotic mess, and I imagine a lot of people would be unable to make it. I can forsee horror stories..

Cheers mate, I suppose they could always put in some temp seating up the end where the hill is.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Definitely, they always do that for Mt Smart playoff games. Think it holds 27K at capacity from memory?

It's such a great atmosphere with a full house. Had the pleasure of being at a few (Eels/Roosters in 07/08, Manly in 07 I think, and maybe the Broncos early season game in 09) and it is as intense as anywhere I've been. Players say exactly the same.

_addict

Juniors

I think that Eden Park and other world cup stadia are exclusive to RWC while it's here.

Apart from that and above all the reasons listed above, the IRB would be mortified that League might possibly rain on the parade:)

Regarding traffic, I don't think that it would be too big a problem for most of the the league supporting parts of Auckland. Certainly South and East wouldn't be too badly affected. It could be a problem for the likes of me, coming from the North Shore. West maybe a bit.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think that Eden Park and other world cup stadia are exclusive to RWC while it's here.

Apart from that and above all the reasons listed above, the IRB would be mortified that League might possibly rain on the parade:)

Yeah Eden Park is definitely off the cards due to the RWC. Even if it was available, I'd only see it getting used in week 3 of the finals.

Regarding traffic, I don't think that it would be too big a problem for most of the the league supporting parts of Auckland. Certainly South and East wouldn't be too badly affected. It could be a problem for the likes of me, coming from the North Shore. West maybe a bit.

TBH even for the west it wouldn't be a biggie, you'd just head through Blockhouse Bay and Hillsborough Rd, which wouldn't get much Eden Park Traffic. And coming from the Shore you'd be fine once you got through spaghetti junction as all the Eden Park traffic goes to the Northwestern.

The biggest issue really isn;t going to be for the live crowds, it's the competition for TV viewers- the pubs are going to have a massive shitfight over what games to show and the TV audience is going to be split down the middle when otherwise most viewers would watch both.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Price is a Clucking Boron if he thinks that there will be an "empty stadium" for any potential Week 1 Warriors home final. Aucklander's love for Union is vastly overhyped, and in any case there is more than enough population to sustain 2 full houses. It's a city of one and a half million FFS.

Does he really think Warriors fans, who have to wait years between being able to attend finals games in their own city, are going to be glued to their TV sets watching the All Blacks beat up on Tonga instead of cheering on their favourite team in a crucial clash?

It will sell out within hours.

One Warrior

Bench
Price is a Clucking Boron if he thinks that there will be an "empty stadium" for any potential Week 1 Warriors home final. Aucklander's love for Union is vastly overhyped, and in any case there is more than enough population to sustain 2 full houses. It's a city of one and a half million FFS.

Does he really think Warriors fans, who have to wait years between being able to attend finals games in their own city, are going to be glued to their TV sets watching the All Blacks beat up on Tonga instead of cheering on their favourite team in a crucial clash?

It will sell out within hours.

Absolutely agree, I like Price and he was great for us, but we will sellout Mt Smart in a couple of hours if we get a home semi.

POPEYE

Coach
One thing for certain is no team in this comp is going to want to play the Warriors at home in a knockout game. I doubt the Qld SOO team would fancy their chances.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Absolutely agree, I like Price and he was great for us, but we will sellout Mt Smart in a couple of hours if we get a home semi.

I watched a replay of League Lounge last night, and Price said no such thing as originally quoted from that Union flogger on The Roar...

Typical lying Union scumbag...

shiznit

Coach
I watched a replay of League Lounge last night, and Price said no such thing as originally quoted from that Union flogger on The Roar...

Typical lying Union scumbag...
yeah i saw it too... if anything it was those other idiots that were the problem.

excuse the pun... but the look on his face when that one guy suggested that the Warriors play as the curtain-raiser to the All Blacks game was priceless.

he suggested it as a joke and pricey had a stunned look on his face and said something along the lines of... "are you serious?? thats a terrible idea... we've done a lot of work trying to move out of RU's shadow in NZ so why would we want to do that??"

the dude was trying to be a smart arse and pricey shot him down...

age.s

First Grade
The thing I can't figure out is why they wouldn't consider switching the 4v5 and 3v6 matches around if the Warriors happened to qualify 4th. Having the Warriors play on a Saturday night would be much better IMO.

It can't be done because of the way the McIntyre system works. The reason it's structured the way it is is to ensure that there is a huge amount riding on every game. If the result of 3v6 is known when 4v5 kicks off there is either more or less riding on the result. For example if 3 defeated 6 then there is much less riding on the game as both 7&8 would have to get up for the winner to get a week off and the loser to be eliminated. The opposite is true if 6 defeats 3 which might make things interesting to be fair. Still there would be a large variance in the level of interest and I can see why the NRL would want to keep the structure of the finals comp pure.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Soooo here it is, the UWC has kicked off and the warriors are playing in Brisbane, for the kiwi Leaguies, how's the noise for them going on?

If they win (which I think they will) how will the NZ public take it during the UWC?, will they be supported, will the international fans coming in for the Union WC get behind you, what's the buzz like?

POPEYE

Coach
Don't care who they play . . . would make my year if the Warriors won the 'record book' best team of the year

Latest posts