What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was it true?

Card Shark

Immortal
Cronulla, Penrith, Bulldogs and Newcastle are the worst

No surprise we are one of the worst - never seem to give local junior a fair go.

I suppose that is also a reflection of that junior league unfortunately.

Prometheus

Juniors
It's funny that a Dragons fan was the one to bring this up considering that the Dragons are almost a Raiders B team.

If you go back and read the first post in the thread you'll notice that I wasn't talking about clubs buying players from other teams. I was asking if it was really possible that the Roosters had absolutely no local juniors playing in their team on Grand Final night.

POPEYE

Coach
Only good thing about 'junior' is that it rhymes with schooner, would be great for a young bloke to tell his mates that not only had he played in a gf but he had learnt to play in the area the club was obliged by the NRL to promote the game. Not sure how many players can say they won a grand final at a club that took a chance and promoted them to the big time . . . Tupou is one that owes the Roosters for his elevation

And because of that it should cost any other club 20% more to match any future Rooster offer in cap consideration

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
Some interesting reading and it does amuse me somewhat when people start quoting "facts" especially when it revolves around Roosters juniors. Yes some clubs were poached, but some went to Souths juniors voluntarily. No one at the Roosters or Roosters junior club level has asked them to come back, yet....

On junior development, there have been some very lean years but the last few under Canavan, Noyce and now Canavan again there is great support for the junior clubs from the Roosters.
There are 2 main reasons the local kids don't progress though the ranks, obviously the number of local players, although that is growing. The other is because traditionally the Harold Matts coaches come from out of area and don't know the local kids and the focus has been on bringing in outside kids at that level. This has backfired recently with the last two years results being very poor. Would have been better off picking a lot of locals, the results would not have been worse. Because the locals have not had the HM opportunity they either leave and/or miss out on SG Ball etc.

Now that is all changing, with a very good crop of U15s coming out of the local clubs this year, the HM side should contain mostly local players and over the next few years this will propagate upwards.

Don't kid yourselves, having local kids in the NRL team is very important. it gets more kids playing and gets more people to the game.

But we all know that its not just $s that gets you a premiership its ticker, heart and soul. Souths have tried to buy one big time and although they are getting closer it hasn't worked. The reason that the Roosters won is that these players, both bought and developed love the place.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
The old "my club produces more juniors than yours" is a redundant argument, not all catchment areas are the same size,
For instance Manlys is tiny same with Easts, how about expanding their junior bases, give Manly milsons point to the central coast as well as manly to palm beach and watch the juniors start rolling in