What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was this the most boring Grand final ever?

Misanthrope

Staff member
As I've already said, I'm sure the Sydney clubs are trembling with fear. This time next year, nobody in Sydney will give a rat's ass about AFL. Everybody loves a winner - just look at the Roosters' crowd figures while they were still performing.

Misty Bee

First Grade
anjado said:
2003 grand final was the fastest game of football ever played up until that point
i cant believe people found it boring
there were hardly any mistakes and great individual performances by players in both teams
its easily in the top 5 grand finals ever

:lol::lol::lol:

Only if ever started in 2000.

This one I enjoyed, because both teams were not so hung up on the darn thing to stop throwing the ball around. The last 5 (bar 01) were basically slugfests with a few special moments thrown in.

Richards try ranks with Blacklocks of 99. Stacey's try, and Bowens tonight are the only ones that come withing cooeee. Priddis passing to Rooney does not constitute a glittering spectacle to the rest of the world.

Tonights game wasn't a classic. However, both teams played the same as they had played all year.

I reckon the final 8 system goes a long way from removing the premiership heavyweights from the competition, and helps the smokies. Probably nothnig wrong with that - nothing worse than knowing the premiers before the finals (although we dind last year, and in 2000)

Having said all of that, from now on Wests and NQ are heavyweights. In time, we might get to hate them. But not just yet.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The two grand finals were chalk and cheese.

Yeah, and the AFL GF offered nothing compared to the Richards and Bowen tries.

Closeness doesn't always equal greatness. One of the best I ever saw was 1975.

Balmain_Boy

f**king Tigher yeH!

Mate who cares what you think, your team won ONE premiership since 1975, now you think you're the be all and end all of rugby league. f**k you f**ktard.

TIGERS!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Dutch Oven said:
People are already comparing the two grand finals on an entertainment basis, a match basis and what transpired afterwards (the language).

The AFL GF put me to sleep actually, what was so special about it?

anjado

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
:lol::lol::lol:

Only if ever started in 2000.

This one I enjoyed, because both teams were not so hung up on the darn thing to stop throwing the ball around. The last 5 (bar 01) were basically slugfests with a few special moments thrown in.

Richards try ranks with Blacklocks of 99. Stacey's try, and Bowens tonight are the only ones that come withing cooeee. Priddis passing to Rooney does not constitute a glittering spectacle to the rest of the world.

Tonights game wasn't a classic. However, both teams played the same as they had played all year.

I reckon the final 8 system goes a long way from removing the premiership heavyweights from the competition, and helps the smokies. Probably nothnig wrong with that - nothing worse than knowing the premiers before the finals (although we dind last year, and in 2000)

Having said all of that, from now on Wests and NQ are heavyweights. In time, we might get to hate them. But not just yet.

well if you consider the fastest game of rugby league ever played boring
then you dont know what your talking about
and its easily a top 5 grand final
its had less mistakes then most others despite appaling weather
it had memorable moments
it was a close game for 70 minutes
it was tight there were many scoring opportunities
i would like to see what grand finals you think are better then 2003
maybe you should actually watch the game
there have been a few better grand finals but i would be suprised if you could name 5

Pantherjim.

Referee
I actually quite enjoyed the G.F. I was actually cheering for the Tigers even though I'm not a Tigers supporter. It's a pity that the Tigers weren't playing a team I dislike like the Roosters - would have made the result all that sweeter!

Congratulations to the Wests Tigers and their supporters!

A very well deserved Premiership!

I can certainly appreciate the sheer joy and ecstasy that you all must be feeling this morning. The same joy and ecstasy that I experienced ever since I was jumping up and down at Telstra Stadium two years ago to this day!

Congratulations, and welcome to the winners circle. Celebrate today but don't let the victory go to your heads and get complacent tomorrow. As Penrith and Canterbury supporters will tell you, Half the effort is winning the Premiership, the other half is defending it.

See you all next year!;-)

Pantherjim.

Blaze

Juniors
Man some people are pesimistic. Something tells me you were all expecting a little too much. I actually wonder if some of you actually enjoy watching the game or just focus on all the negatives. Well played Tigers. Benji Marshall is a genious.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Dutch Oven said:
Pete Murray was the highlight of the night, the potty mouthed Tigers were the lowlight.

Why did you bother to watch? There were some good docos last night on the abc and sbs.

Misty Bee

First Grade
anjado said:
well if you consider the fastest game of rugby league ever played boring
then you dont know what your talking about

Fastest game ever? Lol. fast, yes. Fastest ever? Origins back in the 1980's had the same speed.
anjado said:
and its easily a top 5 grand final
its had less mistakes then most others despite appaling weather
I recall Preston Campbells stats post match - he made something like 11 mistakes according to the NRL stats page. If you want a mistake free grand final, watch the '85 decider.
anjado said:
it had memorable moments
As has allgrand finals since 1908.
anjado said:
it was a close game for 70 minutes
As has 80% of grand finals since 1908
anjado said:
it was tight there were many scoring opportunities
Contradiction? I though you said it was mistake free? If there were many scoring opportunities, why was the score so low?
anjado said:
i would like to see what grand finals you think are better then 2003
maybe you should actually watch the game
there have been a few better grand finals but i would be suprised if you could name 5

I'll name 10 that I have seen.

1991 (The game most Penrith fans seem to have forgotten)

And from the history books....

Rugby League was not all boring before your birth 12 years ago.

The Business

Juniors
Firstly let me congratulate the Tigers on their victory. The club's first premiership.

As for the game itself it's one of the most lacklustre grand final I have seen. There was no intensity, big hits or aggression.

eelsta

Bench
well done tigers, the only thing boring on this thread is melon thinking anyone cares about his opinion, oh and yes i'm a parra fan and proud of it

Jackal Dog

Juniors
The first half was good but the second blowed, Mander let too much go, around the play the ball which meant neither side could really play a up tempo game and both trys in the first half should have been allowed, it would of made for a far more entertaining game.

JoeD

First Grade
Was this the most boring Grand final ever?

No. I thought it was a good game but not great. IMO the Tigers/Saints game was better and should have been the GF. Well done Tiges though. What a great comp we follow, 6 different premiers in the last 6 seasons.

Kid

Juniors
As a Tigers fan, for me it was a great game. Go you mighty Tigers!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and i have to say, geez there were some great sorts out there yesterday. A great perv

bluenwhite

Juniors
i reckon it was pretty boring. it lacked intensity. the past three grand finals have had intensity, not this one. it was better than 00 atleast.

JJ

Immortal
smells like sour grapes from melon... to me! It perhaps didn;t have the intensity of some but there's nothing dull about the way the Tigers in particular (but also the Cowboys) played

As well as 2000, the Roosters vs Warriors GF was pretty dull.. and was less intense than this year's

Bengal

Juniors
melon.... said:
Did is surpass the sleepy 2000 gF? Did it meet your expectations? Was it a mediocre GF? Was it brilliant?

I dont know what it was. Firstly Congrats to teh Maggettes. Nothing can take away the fact you are NRL Champions.

But tell me you havent seen better club games this year. Where was teh intensity...even the celebrations were brain dead, and subdued.

What about the call....abysmal. Warren should now offically retire. Gould was nowhere to be seen which was great, and the othrs offered jack sh*te.

Over all, IMO, the whole thing including the pathetic half time entertainment with some skank that should be collecting dollar bills swinging from brass poles, was drab and boring.

But then its been a boring season, probably the lowest standard of play for about 4 years.

Still though a couple of good teams played and will go down in history. Thats something special for their players and fans.

There goes Melon pushing the ole mediocrity line again…

yippy ki yah for the SALARY CAP

Latest posts