What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watto storms out of India

HevyDevy

Coach
You know what? I have no problem with the players being dumped. They were given a very simple task and couldn't be bothered. With that sort of application no wonder we're playing such rubbish cricket.

Now Watto is having a sook. Diddums.

Canard

Immortal
Quote from Clarke:

"We were asked to do one thing from the head coach and I am not going to go deep into it but it was giving information back to the head coach about not only improving your game, what you've learnt from the first two Test matches, but also how can you help this team turn things around and have success.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...in-attitude-20130312-2fwvh.html#ixzz2NHJwHDok

Explain what Notch and Uzi were to present they "learned" from the first two tests??

"Your selections are shit, and you should pick me?"

MSIH

Bench
Seriously mate, there has to be something in life that Manly fans can analyse without having to bring a Brett Stewart analogy into it. There are families who lost people to terrorism that have gotten over it quicker than Manly fans have gotten over a couple of weeks of bad press.

I thought it was apt to bring up one of the biggest injustices of our time in a thread about an even bigger injustice, Shane Watson's treatment by the Australian Cricket hierarchy. They don't let him open, they don't let him bowl, and now they don't let him refuse to follow a pretty simple request to jot a few notes down.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well you'd think that if they were that desperate to get back into the side they would do everything asked of them. Instead their excuse is "Oops, we forgot."

aqua_duck

Coach
I support any concept, no matter how f**kheaded it is, that rids the test side of Watson & Johnson. Self obsessed wankers can get f**ked.

Lol Johnson wasn't going to be picked anyway, so in other words you're happy to sacrifice our best bowler and put up with Hughes just to get rid if Watson

JJ

Immortal
AB or Tuggah would have told Arthur that the players had better things to do than write an essay.

Yeah, Border's response would have been hilarious...

In saying that, I would love to see Hughes' presentation, the mind boggles... an interpretive dance, a poem? Or simply saying he could score a run off Ashwin without getting out?

and surely Pattinson deserved an aegrotat pass or concession of some nature...

Good on Watson for going home, he's about to become a father... clearly there's a lot to it, and as people have said earlier, I am not sure a self-absorbed f**kwit as captain and a self absorbed f**kwit as vice-captain, combined with an apparently self-absorbed f**kwit as coach, and a f**kwit as selector is a great mix...

Slackboy72

Coach
Well you'd think that if they were that desperate to get back into the side they would do everything asked of them. Instead their excuse is "Oops, we forgot."

FMD, Have you ever played cricket? Have you ever played any form of sport?
Please write me an essay giving three things that you bring to this forum.

Red Bear

Referee
The original source of the clarke/hussey/warner email was a pretty reasonable one.

I thought this was quite a good article on the whole incident in India
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/story/624584.html

If you cant get something like this done in a week it shows a pathetic attitude, you're part of a professional sporting environment and such laziness shouldnt be tolerated - although maybe there is something more to the problems than this.

Oh and Shane Watson. Maybe in your time "contemplating your future" You could have a look at your performances in the baggy green. 40 tests now. Batting average of 36 with two centuries (highest 126) and 19 50's in 73 innings. Bowling average of 30 (62 wickets). Maybe look at your purple patch of June 2009-Dec 2010 (18 tests averaging 50) and notice you still only managed two tons despite 14 other 50's. Maybe observe that that it's been over two years since you were in form with the bat (since January 2011 4 50's in 26 test innings and an average of 26.5). Maybe also notice that you've taken 20 wickets @28 in that time, that your bowling is actually useful for the side.
Then maybe pull your f**king head out of your arse and think about doing what is best for the team, not for brand Watson. Stop talking about replacing players at the top of the order whilst in the test team with them, showing none of the leadership of a vice captain. Stop playing absolutely horrible shots to get out, as you did in both innings of the recent test. Maybe work on some concentration issues if you think you can make it as a batsmen, because you have not shown anything in that regard. Be less of a slefish merkin with the DRS whereby reviewing a ball that hits you halfway up infront of middle stump seems a good option. Oh, and as we've seenby your performances over the past two years, if you're not bowling you're not worth shit to this cricket team. Oh yeah, and refusing to bowl in the test team but bowling in the IPL is a great reflection on you has vice captain of this countries test team. You selfish git.
But in Watto world none of this will be considered, it is all about what is best for Shane Watson

Edit - Have no problem with him going home to be with his pregnant wife. If he is seriously contemplating his future though im happy for him to just not be picked again, because he's hardly helping the cricket team at present.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
This short term pain for long term gain seems a simplistic thing to say.

In League terms this isn't Round 1 its Rnd 26 and the Grand Final is coming soon.

What is Arthur planning for? The 2015 Ashes? He wont even be around by then.

Red Bear

Referee
Haddin should have been in the team the whole time anyway.
No he shouldnt have.

Were people blind, or did they not notice his rubbish keeping and poor batting over an extended period. I like Haddin, and thought it was unfortunate for sch a good player to have his peak years coincide with one of the greats in his position in Gilchrist. But by the time last year came around his batting had gone to pieces and his keeping, never outstanding, was really poor. That Wade has proven to be an inadequete replacement does not suddenly meen that Haddin was hard done by.

Get Chris Hartley in the team, best pure keeper in the country and with an average of 31 with the bat more than handy at number seven.

JJ

Immortal
The original source of the clarke/hussey/warner email was a pretty reasonable one.

I thought this was quite a good article on the whole incident in India
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/story/624584.html

If you cant get something like this done in a week it shows a pathetic attitude, you're part of a professional sporting environment and such laziness shouldnt be tolerated - although maybe there is something more to the problems than this.

Oh and Shane Watson. Maybe in your time "contemplating your future" You could have a look at your performances in the baggy green. 40 tests now. Batting average of 36 with two centuries (highest 126) and 19 50's in 73 innings. Bowling average of 30 (62 wickets). Maybe look at your purple patch of June 2009-Dec 2010 (18 tests averaging 50) and notice you still only managed two tons despite 14 other 50's. Maybe observe that that it's been over two years since you were in form with the bat (since January 2011 4 50's in 26 test innings and an average of 26.5). Maybe also notice that you've taken 20 wickets @28 in that time, that your bowling is actually useful for the side.
Then maybe pull your f**king head out of your arse and think about doing what is best for the team, not for brand Watson. Stop talking about replacing players at the top of the order whilst in the test team with them, showing none of the leadership of a vice captain. Stop playing absolutely horrible shots to get out, as you did in both innings of the recent test. Maybe work on some concentration issues if you think you can make it as a batsmen, because you have not shown anything in that regard. Be less of a slefish merkin with the DRS whereby reviewing a ball that hits you halfway up infront of middle stump seems a good option. Oh, and as we've seenby your performances over the past two years, if you're not bowling you're not worth shit to this cricket team. Oh yeah, and refusing to bowl in the test team but bowling in the IPL is a great reflection on you has vice captain of this countries test team. You selfish git.
But in Watto world none of this will be considered, it is all about what is best for Shane Watson

Edit - Have no problem with him going home to be with his pregnant wife. If he is seriously contemplating his future though im happy for him to just not be picked again, because he's hardly helping the cricket team at present.

Drop him for not playing well, not for ignoring a stupid request... surely...

As I said elswehere, Hughes plays and Pattinson et al don't :crazy:

Canard

Immortal
Agree that Haddin's "form" has been vastly overstated and most on here (including myself) were calling for his axing last summer.

Red Bear

Referee
Drop him for not playing well, not for ignoring a stupid request... surely...

As I said elswehere, Hughes plays and Pattinson et al don't :crazy:
The request might be stupid (although I think it only helps to get the team discussing what it needs to improve - but would be better in a group discussion scenario rather than a bullet point essay) but dont you think it reflects poorly on these four players when they cant even be bothered, after a humiliating defeat, to do a minor task the coach sets them?

I know a few ex-cricketers have had a laugh at such things but how many good Australian sides have put up with a poor attitude, as is reflected here? Half the reason we rose up and then became dominant was we fixed the attitude at an early point (Simpson/Border era). It set the standard of what was to be expected and that environment (combined with a couple of outstanding bowlers) bred success that followed.

This sends a message that poor attitude will not be tolerated. If Watson wants to throw his toys out of the cot then so be it, as I pointed out his performances and attitude have been crap for some time. Hopefully the others see this as a wake up call.

I also laughed at this
A tweet from comedian Wil Anderson: "Qantas give (Watson) row four of business class. Complains that he is more suited to one or two..."

Hooch

Juniors
Clarke is an arse licker.What else can you expect from someone who was anointed as the golden child.A good cricketer but being the Australian Captain requires balls and chest hair. Pity Katich wasn't a bit younger.

It's the right decision by the coach/selectors. People make it sound like a 500 page novel was expected of the players. Surely if you can't analyze your own game, think about how you could better adapt to the conditions etc, then you shouldn't be a professional sportsman.
The coach's request was perfectly reasonable and the punishment fair.

Saying that, I'm not a big fan of Arthur or Clarke as leaders/communicators, but that's a different issue.

Latest posts