What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett agrees to coach Knights for four years

jonno_knights

Juniors
Yeah and you'd know all about it ...what were you 11 years old in 1997 ? :lol: Tell us more of your memories and wisdom of that era pal !

And I was 6. WTF!! does age have to do with anything?

I can tell you STG were a powerhouse in the 1950s/60s too. Parra and the Dogs were the top teams of the 80s. The Raiders of the early 90s. The Sea-Eagles of the Mid-90s.

The results speak for themselves. They were constantly a threat for the premiership between 97 and 2002. To perform like they did for over half a decade means its no fluke.

This thread doesn't have enough BM bashing. Seriously, what a f**king deadsh*t.

It's literally been a 5-6 month fail of epic proportions. Amazing

jonno_knights

Juniors
Haha and Parramatta can claim alot of credit for Newcastle's premiership in 2001 cause they played sh*t in the grand final after being the best side all year by a country mile.

A country Mile? please explain?

The knights played 2 months of the season minus a certain halfback. They still managed to match Parra pound for pound in attack (best ever attacking side). Defence was the only big gap between the sides that season. And when your averaging around 30 points a game who needs defence?

With Johns in the side, we were all the bit as good as Parra. And that showed on GF day.

Oh and Newcastle were the only side to put the Eels to the sword during the regular season. Beat them something like 30-12. No other side came close to beating them by that much from memory. Although they did get us back at the end of the year winning 40-0 (but we proved it was a hickup beating the broncs 44-0 the following week).

And we should up on GF Day. thats the only thing that counts. The previous 29 weeks prior to that a meaningless when its do or die. And we blew them off the park. And I think we would win that game 9/10 looking at how superior our side was on paper to theirs.

O'Davis - Hodgson
Tahu - Burt
Gidley - Lyon
Hughes - Vaealiki
Maddog - Moodie
Rudder - Buettner
Johns - Taylor
Perry - Cayless
Buderus - Drew
Parsons - Vella
Simpson - Hindmarsh
Kennedy - Hindmarsh
Peden - Wagon

Abraham - Marsh
Marquet - Ryan
Grief - Chan
O'Brien - Solomona

Only place they were superior in is their bench IMO.

And we did all this with a nuffie as coach :lol:.

Last edited:

ironhorse

Juniors
And I was 6. WTF!! does age have to do with anything?

I can tell you STG were a powerhouse in the 1950s/60s too. Parra and the Dogs were the top teams of the 80s. The Raiders of the early 90s. The Sea-Eagles of the Mid-90s.

The results speak for themselves. They were constantly a threat for the premiership between 97 and 2002. To perform like they did for over half a decade means its no fluke.

No because sometimes history books will only tell half a story . The history books show 2 premierships in 4 years as you know , but in reality both years hardly anyone gave them a chance at the time .They were battlers and underdogs , not a powerhouse outfit some here would have you believe . They were a good club who did have success over a few years but were mostly based around one player . If you were around at the time you would know this , you would also know not many rated the Knights at all if joey was injured/playing rep/suspended...it was common knowledge no joey =no knights .They were not a powerhouse but they were successful while gifted with a very special player for a short time.

Congratz Knights good to see a likeable team get Bennett. Hopefully we can beat you in the final for the next 5 or so years

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
This thread doesn't have enough BM bashing. Seriously, what a f**king deadsh*t.

It's literally been a 5-6 month fail of epic proportions. Amazing

Where is he? I hope he hasn't done himself a mischief.

Come on BM. Whose the certainty to replace Sutton? Is it Matt Mundine?

And what about fullback and Talanoa? Nighty & Darbs won't get close to Redfern unless Saints train there again in the finals.

The Coach??? What about him?

Pride of The League indeed. They will be grubby and niggling all night on Monday. They'll be angry. And they'll get flogged.

Bunnies for the spoon.

jonno_knights

Juniors
No because sometimes history books will only tell half a story . The history books show 2 premierships in 4 years as you know , but in reality both years hardly anyone gave them a chance at the time .They were battlers and underdogs , not a powerhouse outfit some here would have you believe . They were a good club who did have success over a few years but were mostly based around one player . If you were around at the time you would know this , you would also know not many rated the Knights at all if joey was injured/playing rep/suspended...it was common knowledge no joey =no knights .They were not a powerhouse but they were successful while gifted with a very special player for a short time.

But they were a powerhouse with Johns? Thats all that counts.

Take the best player out of a lot of post SL sides and they are no longer a powerhouse.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

As long as Joey played, they could win.

The fact he was only one man - easily the best player I've ever seen - shouldn't detract from the team being seen as a contender. They won a lot of games. Regardless of how, they won a lot of games, but they were never, as you said, a great team by any stretch of the imagination.

Very proud club though. Those premierships were full of local lads.

Pigskin

Juniors
Congrats to Newcastle fans. I have little doubt you'll probly get a premiership, certainly within the 4 years and maybe within 2.

One thing that is of some interest to me, is i wonder if Wayne contemplated what Tinkler did with his racing interests. I mean, he was hiring and firing people for the first few years like an immature prat. He was a laughing stock, behind closed doors secretly, while everybody was his friend outside simply due to his immense wealth. Most presumed he would just go broke. He is still going, still spending, although has cut down a little. He put a lot of the bigger names of the racing industry off-side within no time at all. And this remains today.

He was quoted as saying he wanted to build an empire like the Ingham's had, and then sell it all off to one of the sheiks (whose cash makes Tinkler look like a pauper). But he wanted to do it within a few years, not like the Ingham's who did it over 25 years or so.

I trust the Newcastle board have secured the club contract wise should he be similarly irrational and spontaneous as he did for some time with his horse empire. I am not suggesting in any way, that the club could be harmed.

But what if one day he wakes up and starts throwing his weight around. Tinkler and Bennett colliding would be something to behold. I would trust Bennett has himself protected legally also. And at worst he gets a massive payout and walks into any other job he wants.

Just wondering if anybody has any thoughts along these lines.

Cheers
Oink !

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
of course people didn't rate us without Johns, we played like dicks without him. when we had him, though, we were powerful. absolutely, 100%. to say it any other way is just rubbish. he is Hunter Valley born and bred success from the grass roots up, and we have every right to claim the dominance he provided us with, even if it was him alone. hell, especially if it was him alone.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Where is he? I hope he hasn't done himself a mischief.

Come on BM. Whose the certainty to replace Sutton? Is it Matt Mundine?
BunniesMan's wrists are intact. BunniesMan gets too much sex to contemplate suicide.

As for Sutton, he should go to lock and Inglis should go to 6.
And what about fullback and Talanoa? Nighty & Darbs won't get close to Redfern unless Saints train there again in the finals.
James Roberts (the kid is the next big thing, as much a sure thing as you'll ever see. I could see him as the next Billy Slater. He is a freak, 20 tries in 13 games in Toyota cup...as a 17 year old!

If I had my way he'd be fullback now. Sure he's only 18 now but would do more than Wesser is.

Roberts is the long term answer at fb and will wear our #1 for 10 years.

Talanoa? Not happy with his performance either. I'd like to see Josh Mansour replace him (junior kangaroo last year).

The Coach??? What about him?
Maguire, the next best thing to getting Bennett.

Pride of The League indeed. They will be grubby and niggling all night on Monday. They'll be angry. And they'll get flogged.

Bunnies for the spoon.
I guarantee we'll be nowhere near the spoon.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good decision and it is smart. Lets be honest here, Newcastle are FAR closer to a premiership than Souths are. You win premierships in your 1, 6,7, 9. Newcastle already have 3 of those with Boyd to come in...what does Souths have? A hooker...with no halves and a 30 year old fullback who is a waste of space. Souths are 5 years away from being a premiership threat, Newcastle are 2 years away. Smart business decision!

applesauce

Bench
Can't wait to see what he will do with Mullen. Soward was sh*t before Bennett at least Mullen is a solid play without being spectacular, a lot of potential there.

Has anyone else noticed Bennets affinity with dungeons and dragons? Broncos, Dragons, Knights...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Can't wait to see what he will do with Mullen. Soward was sh*t before Bennett at least Mullen is a solid play without being spectacular, a lot of potential there.

Has anyone else noticed Bennets affinity with dungeons and dragons? Broncos, Dragons, Knights...

Agreed, would not be surprised if Soward follows Bennett and Boyd to Newcastle though.

Latest posts