What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett agrees to coach Knights for four years

Big Pete

Referee
Big congratulations to Newcastle, from reports I heard it was the length of his contract that won Wayne over.

Hopefully the signing transforms Newcastle into the powerhouse they once were and we can have those epic matches we used to in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Well done guys.

Noname36

First Grade
Where did you pull that one from?

You didn't read the little gem of an article BunniesMan found where the players were basically begging Bennett to go there to install an attitude that Lang hasn't been able to?

Fair enough if you think that, but you don't put your coach down like that in the media.

ironhorse

Juniors
Big congratulations to Newcastle, from reports I heard it was the length of his contract that won Wayne over.

Hopefully the signing transforms Newcastle into the powerhouse they once were and we can have those epic matches we used to in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Well done guys.

Newcastle have never been a powerhouse ,ever. Thats what bennett is there for i believe .

Jono1987

Juniors
A big congratulations to the Newcastle Knights and their fans. Easily the best signing they could have made. Bennett being there won't guarantee a Premiership but he'll put you into the position to win one, will be up to the players to bring it home.

Snowden will either have to accept less money or go back running to Cronulla though.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Smart move Wayne.......

A challenge is one thing, career suicide is another.
Haven't rated Mullen at all......ever.

It'll be interesting to see what Bennett does with him

Gidley's days are numbered. IMO

Raider_69

Post Whore
It will be very interesting to see what bennett does
the good thing for the knights is Costigan becomes a good signing now. Ive never seen him play consistant under anyone but him.
With him and Snowden is a virtual lock, their pack has gone from the worst in the game to at least middle ground

they still need some more help in the front row (gee im glad Tilsey signed on for an extension today) and they need some depth in the back row... The outside backs are ok, will improve once Boyd gets involved, but i still think they are lacking a quailty centre, Sau is ok but not worth the $$ ive heard parra are throwing at him, and he's a tad hit and miss, and then there is Adam MacDougall who should retire soon.

I see they got that young warriors talent but he's still an untried talent. Lots of work for Bennett to do to get them to be contesting premierships.
On the plus side he's got a superstar freak of a winger and a pretty good young halves and some good pieces in the forwards to build around like Houston, Costigan (now), Taia and Snowden (soon)

Hooch

Juniors
"I sat down with Nathan (Tinkler) and was struck by his passion and knowledge of rugby league," Bennett said.
"This guy wants to take Newcastle to another level ... that is the type of challenge that appeals to me."

Yes Wayne. Of course Wayne. $$$$$!

I spose this season will be a bit of a write off, with the coach undermined. But I guarantee you the side will step up against St George.

As for next year and beyond... interesting times. Will Bennet and Tinkerbell clash heads? How will Tinks rort the cap to pay overs to Snowden?

Most importantly, who will look after Benny Ikin?

doggone

Juniors
I am sure Wayne will be very happy with his decision. The Grannies are going to love you. Also I am sure the team will be in good sharpe by the end of season, as Rick Stone is doing a great job.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Newcastle have never been a powerhouse ,ever. Thats what bennett is there for i believe .

Or you kidding yourself?

Two premierships 4 years apart. With almost completely different sides. Only players to play in both Grand finals were Johns, Peden, Robbie O', MacDougall and Hughes. To win premierships that close together with just ONE player from your forward pack remaining shows the great machine the Knights were with junior development.

Should have made the GF in 2000, Almost a minor premiership in 2002 and were odds on to win it until Johns broke his back. 7 Straight final series from 1997 to 2003.

Internationals during that 6 year period were Harrogan, A.Johns, M.Johns, O'Davis, M.Gidley, Simpson, Kennedy, Buderus, Tahu, MacDougall. And a heap of NSW and Country origin players.

Bennett is the man Tinkler wanted at all costs in his bid to return Newcastle to the pinnical of the sport for decades to come. Its a sad fact that we have had only 1 local product debut in the Red&Blue since 2007.

I just hope our junior development can return to the powerhouse it was in the 1990s. When we won premierships in 97, 2001, and it can claim a lot of credit for delivering Melbourne its crown in 1999 as their side was full of guys who couldnt crack the Newcastle team (Kimmorley, Ross, Hill, Howe, Marquet etc.).

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I am sure Wayne will be very happy with his decision. The Grannies are going to love you. Also I am sure the team will be in good sharpe by the end of season, as Rick Stone is doing a great job.

I bet they're happy they finally decided to vote pro-Tinkler.

johns_reds

First Grade
Or you kidding yourself?

Two premierships 4 years apart. With almost completely different sides. Only players to play in both Grand finals were Johns, Peden, Robbie O', MacDougall and Hughes. To win premierships that close together with just ONE player from your forward pack remaining shows the great machine the Knights were with junior development.

Should have made the GF in 2000, Almost a minor premiership in 2002 and were odds on to win it until Johns broke his back. 7 Straight final series from 1997 to 2003.

Internationals during that 6 year period were Harrogan, A.Johns, M.Johns, O'Davis, M.Gidley, Simpson, Kennedy, Buderus, Tahu, MacDougall. And a heap of NSW and Country origin players.

Bennett is the man Tinkler wanted at all costs in his bid to return Newcastle to the pinnical of the sport for decades to come. Its a sad fact that we have had only 1 local product debut in the Red&Blue since 2007.

I just hope our junior development can return to the powerhouse it was in the 1990s. When we won premierships in 97, 2001, and it can claim a lot of credit for delivering Melbourne its crown in 1999 as their side was full of guys who couldnt crack the Newcastle team (Kimmorley, Ross, Hill, Howe, Marquet etc.).

Are you serious? just because bennett is at knights doesn't mean they will produce a crap load of quality juniors in the next 4 years, if you wanted good junior development you should have invested wisely in your juniors 5 years ago, not today.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Are you serious? just because bennett is at knights doesn't mean they will produce a crap load of quality juniors in the next 4 years, if you wanted good junior development you should have invested wisely in your juniors 5 years ago, not today.

They are investing $2.5mill a season in junior development and the real NRL under Tinkler (this is a substantial increase on what the knights currently contribute $1-2mill)

Im not totally concerned about the result of juniors now, or in the next 2-3 as we have the nucleus of a side to be successful. This is a long term project that will be Bennetts greatest benifit to the club. Using his help the knights can try and rejuvinate a junior system that bar the 2004 SG Ball/06 JF team (Mullen, Patto, Uate, McManus, Walsh, Snowden etc) was almost non-existent last decade.

What Bennett could potentially provide in the short term is talent spotting. He will be able to identify the Idris', Snowdens, Tupous, Birds etc. and make sure Tinkler makes these guys a priority. He also has an entire local comp to spot talent from, and try and find more guys like Mark Taufua, who are capable of stepping up to the big time when called upon.

Bennetts best contribution to this club will be the systems he sets in place. Tinkler will no doubt give him a blank check book to give Newcaslte the best of everything they need.

Look at the success Smith had building up a playoff calibre team in just his 2nd year with squad (07 was a write off with the majority of the squad not being able to win without Johns). And Smith had to almost beg for money at times. Bennett is 10x the coach Smith is, and has the biggest budget in the NRL to work with.

ironhorse

Juniors
Uhm , All 2 of newcastles premierships they were neither the favorite nor the best team of that year ,distinct underdogs ,always been a battler club Hardly what you would consider a powerhouse .

Probably the reverse - Wayne Bennett blooded how many juniors into st george under his watch ? I can only think of trent merrin and thats it ?? Yet he brought into the club a zillion players with him as well as a myriad of behind the scenes staff to win the comp ,thats his style . He is not reallly concerned with developing juniors he wins competitions ,if the cattle's there fine if not he acquires it or brings it with him .

BM1979

Juniors
Or you kidding yourself?

Haha and Parramatta can claim alot of credit for Newcastle's premiership in 2001 cause they played sh*t in the grand final after being the best side all year by a country mile.

ironhorse

Juniors
Yeah and you'd know all about it ...what were you 11 years old in 1997 ? :lol: Please tell us more of your memories and wisdom of that era pal !

perverse

Referee
i'm betting ironhorse is like 15 years old, and cannot remember our glory years, because he was in nappies.

we were a powerhouse mate, pretty much whenever A. Johns laced on a boot. believe it. it happened, and i'm thinking you weren't there at the time... and you will be pushing a dumptruck of sh*t uphill to convince anyone bar probably skeepe otherwise.