What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett agrees to coach Knights for four years

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20811

Wayne Bennett has today ended months of speculation, with the Tinkler Sports Group announcing he will be joining the Newcastle Knights as head coach at the end of this season.

Thought to be a two horse race after Bennett declared he would not be returning to Brisbane last week, fans of both Newcastle and South Sydney were confident of securing his signature.

In a press conference on March 30, Bennett stated he would be parting ways with the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of 2011. He refused to answer any questions regarding his decision for 2012, apart from stating that it was "not about money. It's about the challenge".

However, in typical style, Bennett dropped a number of red herrings and false tips throughout the interview, fueling speculation of which club would obtain his talents. When asked if it was hard being away from his family (in Brisbane), Bennett replied "If I have to be away for another three years, I will be away for another three years".

Then, in a continuation of the ongoing saga, Bennett turned down a coaching offer to return to Brisbane, after former head coach Ivan Henjak spoke out about the reasons for his sacking. This set up a head-to-head battle between Nathan Tinkler and Russell Crowe for the coach's services.

Bennett announced in a press conference last week that he had made his decision, but would not be making public his choice at that time.

However today, a press conference has been called for 1pm, with Bennett to formally announce his intentions to coach the Knights with a four year contract starting in 2012.

Meth

Staff member
Well done Newcastle. A premiership winning coach (and a premiership winning fullback) on the way

Meth

Staff member
Pretty scummy of the Knights to shaft a loyal local like Stone for an import like Bennett... kinda runs counter to Tinkler's promise to bring the locals back to the club.

They are a scummy club though, so nothing surprises.

You'd rather hold onto Furner than bring Bennett to Canberra?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
That's still getting shafted. Unless you think being an assistant coach is equally as prestigious as being head coach.
It's about on-field success though. And Stone is still green by coaching standards. He'll learn a lot (if he stays on as assistant) over the next three or four years which will benefit him in the long run.

dont sign snowden you old fart.

but yeah. newcastle just became a juggernaut.

i still say he should try a real challenge and coach at cronulla. he's been playing on rookie for too long. time to step up to all madden.

taxidriver

Coach
I still hold hope on Boyd staying, moreso if Snowden and Idris sign.

and I can't see Boyd going to play on the wing or centres

Also the whole Newcastle juniors playing for the Knights bizzo we had to hear so much during the takeover...................

Evenflow

Bench
But but but Wayne's brother said if he had to pick where he thought he was going it'd be to Souffs :lol:

LOL@Bunniespoof :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Idris is reported to be Titans-bound today, we'll find out more later.

Official release on Bennett:

Wayne Bennett has today announced he will coach the Newcastle Knights on a four-year deal beginning in 2012.

Bennett said his decision was based around the vision and passion of new Knights owner Nathan Tinkler combined with the lifestyle offered by Newcastle and the Hunter.

“I sat down with Nathan (Tinkler) and was struck by his passion and knowledge of Rugby League,” said Bennett, a seven-time premiership-winning coach.

“Private ownership appeals to me. I like it. This guy wants to take Newcastle to another level. He wants our game to capture the imagination of the Hunter like never before … for the Knights to be the benchmark of Rugby League in this country. That is the type of challenge that appeals to me”.

“The Knights have already won two premierships and have been a great club despite struggling with their finances. And that's where Nathan Tinkler comes in.”

Bennett said the country NSW lifestyle appealed to him after living happily in Wollongong while coaching the Dragons and previously in Queanbeyan with the Raiders in 1987.

Bennett said he hoped current Knights coach Rick Stone would remain at the club “and work there with me”.

He ended by saying his work at St George Illawarra was far from complete and now that he had made his decision on next year defending the Dragons' NRL Premiership was his focus from this day on.

LINK: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20813

AuDragon

Juniors
This might explain Rick Stone's big whinge last night...:shock:

Bennett will definitely help the Knights to step up to the next level, good on them! Their future looks bright.

With the young Mullen, Beau Henry and Gidley in there, I wonder where Boyd is going to fit...?

LOL@Souffs will go another 40 years without a premiership... :lol:

Feel a bit sorry for Rick Stone because he is a good bloke and has done a very good job with a squad he largely inherited from Smith. I hope he either stays on as an assistant or gets a head coach job somewhere else (but not somewhere sh*t like Souffs).

Meth

Staff member
Bennett wants Stone to remain at the club and 'work with him'.

To be honest, there are worse things a guy with aspirations to coach could do

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I still hold hope on Boyd staying, moreso if Snowden and Idris sign.

and I can't see Boyd going to play on the wing or centres

Also the whole Newcastle juniors playing for the Knights bizzo we had to hear so much during the takeover...................

Idris has apparently signed with the gold coast, they are also due to hold a press conference at 1pm

Firey_Dragon

Coach
This might explain Rick Stone's big whinge last night...:shock:

Bennett will definitely help the Knights to step up to the next level, good on them! Their future looks bright.

With the young Mullen, Beau Henry and Gidley in there, I wonder where Boyd is going to fit...?

LOL@Souffs will go another 40 years without a premiership... :lol:

The funny thing is there are very few quality coaches left on the market now. So Souths may very well be screwed for next year.

Latest posts