What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett and future coach talk

slotmachine

First Grade
Also, I don't see the point in announcing that he's leaving at the end if the year. What incentive does he and the players have to put in for the rest of the season?

I reckon sack him now and bring up stone or crawley. No point in keeping someone around when theyve already quit on us

Bennett has 1.4 million reasons to stay till the end of the year.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Being reported al over the place now

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/wayne-bennett-ends-speculation-on-future-by-quitting-as-coach-of-newcastle-knights/story-e6frf3su-1226983893870

Im pretty disappointed but I cant blame the guy really. This year would have broken plenty of lesser coaches. That coupled with being away from his family for so long meant the chances of him staying were always pretty slim.

I wonder how the boys are going to react to this. Im hoping for a united squad who wants to send Wayne out on the best possible note

Johns Magic

Referee
Boyd is contracted until the end of next year is he not? What is the go with himn now? Can he leave in the same way Bennett is?

Johns Magic

Referee
I wanted him to stay but either way this is a relief.

Will be interesting to see what happens now with the new coach and the playing roster.

Noname36

First Grade
This is a much bigger issue than Bennett leaving guys. Not only will we not sign any props, blokes will be running for the doors.

Haffa

Also, I don't see the point in announcing that he's leaving at the end if the year. What incentive does he and the players have to put in for the rest of the season?

I reckon sack him now and bring up stone or crawley. No point in keeping someone around when theyve already quit on us
This was my thoughts also. He may as well step down now. How often does it actually improve the fortunes of the club for the coach to stay on.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think we have better fullback options than David Mead in our own backyard to be honest.

I'd take Gagai or Mamo over him.

Johns Magic

Referee
This was my thoughts also. He may as well step down now. How often does it actually improve the fortunes of the club for the coach to stay on.

As alluded to above, if he resigns immediately it costs him considerable $.

We will need to sack him if he is to go now.

RHCP

Bench
I think we have better fullback options than David Mead in our own backyard to be honest.

I agree. As well as that, it opens the door to get one of our most talented juniors (Mamo and/or Sione) into the side.

Nuffy

Bench
Being reported al over the place now

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/wayne-bennett-ends-speculation-on-future-by-quitting-as-coach-of-newcastle-knights/story-e6frf3su-1226983893870

Im pretty disappointed but I cant blame the guy really. This year would have broken plenty of lesser coaches. That coupled with being away from his family for so long meant the chances of him staying were always pretty slim.

I wonder how the boys are going to react to this. Im hoping for a united squad who wants to send Wayne out on the best possible note

We'll be spoon specials, the players will feel that for all his talk, he is abandoning them when they need him most.

Last edited:

Haffa

Fair enough. I guess it depends on who is going to take over. If it's Stoney then he might as well take over now and we could pay Wayne to go on a holiday.

B-dos

Referee
it all got too hard for the supercoach

disappointing to see him jump ship when the going gets tough. not a good sign of his character

im happy to see some fresh blood though. the team hasnt been playing the type of open attacking style we usually play with.

does this mean stone is front runner?

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm just looking forward to a fresh attitude and some fresh faces.

Back to being the little guy...footy was always more fun that way anyway.

Which the NRL won't allow us to do.

I guess this is officially the end of Tinklers legacy?

What a crazy few years its been.

Good chance Boyd, Scott and Smith will leave.

Just hope he keeps his hands off the rest of our team :(

I guess aside from Stone, our entire coaching staff are gone to?

Serc

First Grade

does this mean stone is front runner?

You would think so

Back to being the little guy...footy was always more fun that way anyway.

Have to say I missed this part, I've got a couple of mates who follow the Sharks and I've been getting my fix in this department via them over the past 3 years (including the past 2 weeks! Now they are winding me up with this weekend coming!)

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
This is a much bigger issue than Bennett leaving guys. Not only will we not sign any props, blokes will be running for the doors.

More like zimmer framing for the doors.

I'd piss Bennett off now if I was in charge, but the nRL are and they're all about the $$$$.

Rick Stone straight back in as of today, offer releases to anyone who wants them (tap Gidley on the shoulder, move Mullen on) and start rebuilding your club. Newie is the BEST junior and A-Grade comp in the land, bar none. Unqualified management and cronyism have stunted your growth since day dot. Change it. There has to be one local player a year capable of becoming a regular NRL player of quality. Surely!

Bring in someone who knows how to develop and build around key players to assist Stone, as the NRL will provide capital to make sure you are competitive in every area before stepping back.

Its a new day for Newcastle. I hope the opportunity to clean out and start again, re engage the community and start moving forward again is ceased.

Its important for Rugby League. I believe you'll look back on today, as the day Newcastle finally modernised.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
I'm disappointed because I think it reflects poorly on him, first opportunity to cut and run and he does.

There have been issues beyond his control such as Packer and Alex but he also owns a big chunk of the mess such as the aging roster and lack of results.

He could have taken the hard option and stayed to rectify the situation or he could take the soft option and leave.

Seems for all his talk, he took the soft option.