What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

i'd be worrying about inglis if i was a rabbitoh fan.

it would appear contracts are worth f*ckall now, especially when news limited owns your club.

I think Inglis torched that bridge... And pissed on the ashes.

I don't see any variation of a broncos admin making moves to sign Inglis after last time.

papabear

Juniors
TBH Bennetts record is impressive with the broncos but he had a killer team then.

He got a premiership with a very dour dragons side which is quite impressive to but buttf**ked rugby league in the process.

His record with the knights and then quitting is a bit weak.

In my opinion the broncos are taking a huge risk with him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
TBH Bennetts record is impressive with the broncos but he had a killer team then.

He got a premiership with a very dour dragons side which is quite impressive to but buttf**ked rugby league in the process.

His record with the knights and then quitting is a bit weak.

In my opinion the broncos are taking a huge risk with him.

Bearing in mind he was one game away from the GF with this side last year, I don't know if bringing up his record is fair. Same with buttf**king the game - didn't St Merge win that GF 32-8 or something similar?

However, apparently he's been quoted in the past as saying he wouldn't approach any job with a coach still in the seat - which is the case for Griffin (end of 2015). It smacks me as a bit weak to run away after a year of turmoil, but I don't know all the inner workings.

Alex28

Coach
I like this article...

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/07/21/wayne-bennett-roll-stone-knights/

Suggests Bennett should stand down now and let Stone take over. Personally I like it, but have Bennett take a step back and perform a football club review or something similar before he leaves so that the Knights have a plan to be in a better position, and Stone can start putting in his mark on the team.

He hasn't given a rats about the Knights for the majority of the year. Now he has another club that won't change.

In fact, he should go now given he'll no doubt try to get a few of the players to follow him...

Ghoulies

Bench
I feel for Griffin. He seems to be a genuinely principled guy who was maybe just a little bit out of his depth coaching at a club with such (some might say unreasonably) high expectations.

I don't think that any of the above applies to Bennett, who will probably bring the short term success that the club craves.

AMD

Juniors
Have to feel for Griffin a bit, Bennett left the club in a bit of rut, and given the ordinary recruiting since he left, Griffin has made a fair effort in trying to rebuild the team. Sure he's made some bad decisions, but a lot coaches in the NRL have had those moments, Bennett included.

Nuffy

Bench
Have to feel for Griffin a bit, Bennett left the club in a bit of rut, and given the ordinary recruiting since he left, Griffin has made a fair effort in trying to rebuild the team. Sure he's made some bad decisions, but a lot coaches in the NRL have had those moments, Bennett included.

Interesting point and well made.

Bennett leaves the Broncos after the golden production line has stopped.

Goes to the Dragons who have a gun roster that is underperforming, wins the comp but leaves the joint as a rabble.

Comes to us on massive coin, has free reign, recruits every old bloke he can find, does SFA and leaves the joint a rabble.

Now Griffin seems to have done the hard yards getting the Broncos back on track and is speared by Bennett who seems to have politicked to get his job back as well as the biggest pay day in the comp.

Not exactly in keeping with his approved public persona. More opportunist than messiah.

gregstar

Referee
....Goes to the Dragons who have a gun roster that is underperforming.....

what?

the "gun" roster was there 2-3 years prior.

it was no longer "gun" it was mid-table material.

the title was down to great coaching - he extracted maximum performance from good first graders & ring-ins.

in short he polished a turd.

Joker's Wild

Coach
what?

the "gun" roster was there 2-3 years prior.

it was no longer "gun" it was mid-table material.

the title was down to great coaching - he extracted maximum performance from good first graders & ring-ins.

in short he polished a turd.

Yeah I do agree with this one

The Dragons gun roster was the 04-06 period and had turned more tradesmen like by 2009. He balanced out the side with some good key players and gave them structure and belief

People suggesting Wayne walked into a "premiership side" when he took over the Goons are kidding themselves

Kiwi

First Grade
Broncos would have won more games this year had it not been for Griffin's use of the bench and team selections. I can't see one reason to leave a set of fresh legs go un used on the bench in matches, especially when it's a front rower.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm interested in Knights fans who say Bennett did SFA with them, when you went one step away from making a GF last year - having not been past the first round of the finals in donkey's.

And if he allegedly wasn't being paid this year, is it any wonder he hasn't given a rat's? If my employer wasn't paying me, I'd be on league forums all day...er never mind.

Latest posts