What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

Snappy

Coach
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/07/21/broncos_coaching_statement.html

THE Brisbane Broncos today confirm that Anthony Griffin will finish his tenure as head coach of the club at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

Wayne Bennett will return as head coach of the Broncos in 2015.

Griffin today said he had accepted the decision made by the board, and would focus all his energies on winning the 2014 NRL premiership for the club.

“I have been at the Broncos for seven years, with four of those as head coach, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time,” said Griffin.

“I am confident that the team and club are set up to have sustained success in the years to come.

“I would like to thank all the members and fans for the support they have shown me.

“And I especially want to thank all the players and staff that I have worked with, and confirm my commitment to the team for the rest of the 2014 season.”

Chief executive Paul White today thanked Griffin for his years of work for the club, and said there was much to be excited about for the conclusion to this season.

“By the end of the season Anthony will have had four years in the head coaching role and his legacy will be a strong and proud one,” said White.

“As our members and supporters are aware, Anthony has been largely responsible for the development of the nucleus of our current squad.

“He has always shown the mark of his character and integrity in his ability to make difficult decisions in the face of adversity and for the betterment of the club as a whole.

“He has got the team into a strong position this year, who now have everything to play for in the remaining weeks of the season.”

The Broncos will hold a press conference at 2.30pm this afternoon to answer questions from the media..

Kiwi

First Grade
People calling the Broncos crap and Bennett past it will be crying foul telling us how we have to be over the cap this time next year, can't wait.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hope Wayne enjoys some success before he retires. Disappointed hes not coming back to saints, but going to Broncs is a completely understandable decision after being away from home so long

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
he is well past it.

I must sound like a broken record...but less than 12 months ago his side - hardly the Harlem Globetrotters - beat the Dogs and Melbourne (in Melbourne) in the finals series.

So I spose in those months following, where he's not been paid/his players have not been paid, the club has changed hands and the emotional turmoil in regards to Alex, you've deemed him 'well past it'?

Not so sure myself.

Nuffy

Bench
I'm interested in Knights fans who say Bennett did SFA with them, when you went one step away from making a GF last year - having not been past the first round of the finals in donkey's.

And if he allegedly wasn't being paid this year, is it any wonder he hasn't given a rat's? If my employer wasn't paying me, I'd be on league forums all day...er never mind.

Mate, we were ordinary for most of the year and were in a dogfight for 7 and 8 for most of the last third of the season. We were not consistent nor did we ever look like one of the top teams.

We had a miracle two weeks at the end of the season, but it doesn't hide the fact that we were utter rubbish for much of the year.

I would argue that Buderus's pending retirement had more to do with our finals run that Bennett's input.

Tom Shines

First Grade
BtCr7tSCYAEjK7L.jpg

Usain Bolt

Bench
Griffin should be sacked for continuing to play Hoffman at 6 all season. If Ben Hunt wasn't having such a stand out season they'd be competing for the spoon.

Haffa

Same could be said for the Super coach persisting with a gimp at number 9 for 17 rounds.

Kiwi

First Grade
Hope Wayne enjoys some success before he retires. Disappointed hes not coming back to saints, but going to Broncs is a completely understandable decision after being away from home so long
Where do you think the Dragons should head? McGregor seems to be doing a good job, or Neil Henry?

AMD

Juniors
Seems I'm one of the few broncos fans who are less optimistic at the return of Bennett. At present, I'm not convinced he's going to improve the teams performance at all, time will tell I guess. Griffin deserved to at least be given until the end of the season before a decision was made on his future. The board at the club seems to be so focused on trying to achieve rapid short term success that they fail to see the bigger picture.

Kiwi

First Grade
With regards to Bennett and the Knights, with what they have gone through this year I am not surprised they can't win many games. Look at the bottom of the ladder, sharks, raiders and knights, enough said really. Who here feels they would perform in their job not getting paid ect?

Swarzey

Bench
A better question would be what is in store for your mob. Surely another cleanout and rebuilding phase is on the cards :lol:

Perhaps, i'd welcome it.

Still, watching you lot piss yourself in excitement is funny. To even think Brisbane will be the team they once were is simple laughable.

broncos2010

Juniors
Biggest club in the NRL and biggest marketing brand needs the best coach in the NRL as well.

No point of him coaching small time clubs like Newcastle who struggled to pay the bills to keep the lights on let alone challenge for a title.

Welcome home wayne.

Latest posts