What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

Bretto

Bench
Seems I'm one of the few broncos fans who are less optimistic at the return of Bennett. At present, I'm not convinced he's going to improve the teams performance at all, time will tell I guess. Griffin deserved to at least be given until the end of the season before a decision was made on his future. The board at the club seems to be so focused on trying to achieve rapid short term success that they fail to see the bigger picture.

This is Griffin's 4th year as head coach. The 2 seasons post Lockyer has been 8th and 12th. This year is hardly going any better, save for Ben Hunt. We could easily be 9th if our differential were a little worse.

I'm not saying that's the be all, but Brisbane were not going to win a premiership under Griffin.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I must sound like a broken record...but less than 12 months ago his side - hardly the Harlem Globetrotters - beat the Dogs and Melbourne (in Melbourne) in the finals series.

So I spose in those months following, where he's not been paid/his players have not been paid, the club has changed hands and the emotional turmoil in regards to Alex, you've deemed him 'well past it'?

Not so sure myself.

You conveniently left out getting belted by the Roosters in the Prelim. No genuine premiership contender gets done over like that.

I give the guy credit for squeezing our finals performances out of the team but when it counted, yet again, they fell completely apart. That has been the biggest critisism from Knights supporters of Waynes tenure at the Knights, the teams near complete lack of mental fortitude under adversity.

Past it might not be accurate but certainly a fair bit of gloss has been taken off his reputation

AMD

Juniors
This is Griffin's 4th year as head coach. The 2 seasons post Lockyer has been 8th and 12th. This year is hardly going any better, save for Ben Hunt. We could easily be 9th if our differential were a little worse.

I'm not saying that's the be all, but Brisbane were not going to win a premiership under Griffin.

Fair call on most of that, but Bennett's time at the Knights, with arguably an equally talented squad leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sold that we will win one under Bennett in the next 3 years. Hope I'm wrong.

Knightmare

Coach
Back to square one for the Broncos. Wayne might be able to squeeze another Premiership out of them, but he'll only be in charge for a few years before he moves on (probably retire from coaching for good) and then what? As others have said here, it seems the Broncos board are more concerned with short-term success than positioning themselves to be a strong team for the next decade…not that it bothers me too much!

Dazzat

First Grade
At Brisbane and St George Bennett enjoyed what every successful coach needs - a fairly stable club and support structure. Not sure if that existed in the disintegrating Knights.

Bennett will need to make some massive changes at Brisbane to be a success. One reason for Griffin's demise is I believe he allowed the boardroom and the club management to dictate to him too much - a mistake that Bennett has never, and will probably never make.

The fact that Griffin and CEO White are best mates may seem all cosy, but has probably led to more problems than anything. There needs to be some uncomfortable tension between the coach of a football team and the management of a club to make sure decision making is not tainted in either department.

carcharias

Immortal
If he was as good as people claim he would've got that team up yesterday.
Those blokes should have been on a mission to win that one game.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Back to square one for the Broncos. Wayne might be able to squeeze another Premiership out of them, but he'll only be in charge for a few years before he moves on (probably retire from coaching for good) and then what? As others have said here, it seems the Broncos board are more concerned with short-term success than positioning themselves to be a strong team for the next decade…not that it bothers me too much!

Succession planning will obviously be one of his top priorities/objectives handed down from the board.

gregstar

Referee
Succession planning will obviously be one of his top priorities/objectives handed down from the board.
didn't work out too well at his last 3 assignments.

his job shouldn't be building dynasties for other coaches - his job is tough enough planning for his next couple of years there without worrying about whoever is his successor is.

good luck to him. i would have been interested to have him back at saints, but the problem was always going to be what would happen when he finished again. as mentioned the track record isn't good so far.

Mr Saab

Referee
didn't work out too well at his last 3 assignments.

his job shouldn't be building dynasties for other coaches - his job is tough enough planning for his next couple of years there without worrying about whoever is his successor is.

good luck to him. i would have been interested to have him back at saints, but the problem was always going to be what would happen when he finished again. as mentioned the track record isn't good so far.

You cant win with some "fans"
They win a comp "XYZ is the best coach"
Coach XYZ leaves 2 yrs later "He wrecked our club, he didnt plan ahead blah blah"

Fans of some clubs are lunatics. The coaches job is to WIN, not give the next coach a cushy ride in 2 yrs time

Kiwi

First Grade
You know people talk about what will happen after he leaves the club again, all the stuff that he has set up doesn't just stop you know. The new coach is the one that decides to keep running with it or not. For example, the Broncos have Corvo handling the teams fitness, he is the best in the business at it, it's Wayne's choice to keep him or not, and like any other coach he will live and die by his decisions. I think the fact that the coach that comes in after him always seems to struggle shows how much he gets out of his players. He may well have a succession plan in mind and put it in place, if so great as a fan of the Broncos I would be greatful, when he left last time he didn't leave the club in bad shape at all, Henjak was the one who made the calls and dragged it down. It is the next coaches job to keep things going or lift the bar for the club, not Wayne's.

some11

Referee
Best thing for the Knights and Broncos right now.

Griffin is a shit coach no two ways about it and have wanted him gone ever since our slump in the back end of 2012, as a man manager he didn't lose the playing group like Henjak did but as far as the tactical side of Rugby League goes he isn't up to it.

Did well in QLD Cup and should probably go back to coaching there where he still has a shot at winning premierships.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm sick of scratching my head wondering why the coach of the biggest brand in Australian football persists with players and tactics that aren't working - until things turn ugly enough to finally give-in to common sense.

The string of bad decisions and non decisions under Griffin is long. One telling point - what other club in the competition has one true half on the books with any first grade experience at all? How did we ever get in this situation? Not by accident.

--Storm--

Juniors
Griffens would be pissed off he builds a bloody strong lineup for next season and now "super coach" has swooped and stolen it.

God-King Dean

Immortal
what?

the "gun" roster was there 2-3 years prior.

it was no longer "gun" it was mid-table material.

the title was down to great coaching - he extracted maximum performance from good first graders & ring-ins.

in short he polished a turd.

Yep, this always bothers me, and it's an argument only used by those who dislike Bennett.

Before '09. "Good luck Dragons, you're gonna need it. Bennett does have a superstar roster anymore.

Post '10. "He only won because Broncos & Dragons have star line ups.....

Ah, Bennett death riders. They have no idea how stupid they look.

Canard

Immortal
Yep, this always bothers me, and it's an argument only used by those who dislike Bennett.

Before '09. "Good luck Dragons, you're gonna need it. Bennett does have a superstar roster anymore.

Post '10. "He only won because Broncos & Dragons have star line ups.....

Ah, Bennett death riders. They have no idea how stupid they look.

Add to that he got the Knights to a preliminary final last year, and yet mid-year this season he was considered past it and over the hill?

WTF?

I HATE the Broncos with a passion, they are gifted every opportunity on a plate, but I reckon this is great for the game and makes them instant contenders.

Well ladies and gentleman have a look at how he strangled the Knights attack to death we were a top 8 side when he arrived and he tried to turn us into Dragons mark II.

How is that going to go down with Milford, Barba, Hoffman, Hodges and Hunt who are all off the cuff footballers, be interesting to see him destroy Milford like he did Uate who before Bennett got their was the best and exciting winger in the game and is now a train wreck!

Enjoy.

POPEYE

Coach
Can imagine the Bennett hate if there was no Storm, the bloke would be coming up to 30 years in charge of Brisbane, 10+ premierships under his belt and no-one would have a clue how he kept Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Folau to name a few under the cap

Latest posts