What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Barba should be moved to qld cup let alone the halves for the broncos

No, he shouldn't. He has a role to play in the squad. It's not a coincidence that the first game we go into with Barba in the 6 instead of Hoffman, we win. He is just a better playmaker and knows when to pick his moment in the attacking 20.

Pedge1971

First Grade
LOL 3/4's of his roster was brought in buy him, and 3 years in he still couldn't get us going.

Only reason we won was because Bedsy played out of his skin, take him out of there and we were heartless rabble.

If you want to blame someone for where we (Newcastle) are, it isn't Bennett. It is Nathan Tinkler.

Bennett's contract was with Tinkler. His directive from the owner was to bring local talent home. He did with Alex, Snowden and Willie as well as another few unsuccessful signings. His mandate was to bring on new talent. Where are the NSW Cup teams and 21's and juniors placed? Pretty well compared to the dark years.

We now have better facilities in Newie than most clubs. We made the top 8 under Stone with a team no one in the town identified with. I am not living in Newie anymore but I identify with this team far more than the Smith years.

Bennett has been good for us and given the Tinkler thin and his personal situation I wish him nothing but the best. He has been great for the town.

t-ba

Post Whore
Sometimes repeats just don't work out.

I can see this being the case here. Surely the Broncos would be better served using Bennett as a coaching director or some such...

BunniesMan

Immortal
These "coaching director" ideas keep coming up and they're rubbish. Wayne has no interest in a position like that. He wants to be head coach. End of story.

Having said that I don't think the Broncos will be a constant top 4 side like they used to be.

And I think St George will be better off long term with Mcgregor just like Souths were when we got dropped by Wayne and went with Maguire as a plan B.

insert.pause

First Grade
Sometimes repeats just don't work out.

I can see this being the case here. Surely the Broncos would be better served using Bennett as a coaching director or some such...

It's the sequel, not a repeat, hopefully The Godfather Part II.

Pedge1971

First Grade
These "coaching director" ideas keep coming up and they're rubbish. Wayne has no interest in a position like that. He wants to be head coach. End of story.

Having said that I don't think the Broncos will be a constant top 4 side like they used to be.

And I think St George will be better off long term with Mcgregor just like Souths were when we got dropped by Wayne and went with Maguire as a plan B.

I still think when you look beyond first grade the Knights are in much better space than they were when he started. They are playing terribly now but they are a few good kids and 10% improvement from top 8. It's a very close competition......

Dazzat

First Grade
How many SOO games are played a year?

I remember the times when Lockyer was out long term.

Broncs were stuffed when that happened.

eg 2007 Lockyer ruptured his ACL subsequent results were

19 Parramatta Eels Loss 16 20 23 Jul Suncorp Stadium 25,702 5/16
20 Cronulla Sharks Win 30 16 29 Jul Suncorp Stadium 24,563 5/16
21 Manly Sea Eagles Loss 8 21 5 Aug Suncorp Stadium 35,784 6/16
22 Melbourne Storm Loss 6 14 12 Aug Olympic Park 7/16
23 Canterbury Bulldogs Loss 24 25 17 Aug Suncorp Stadium 35,199 9/16
24 Canberra Raiders Win 30 19 26 Aug Suncorp Stadium 31,614 8/16
25 Parramatta Eels Loss 22 68 2 Sep Parramatta Stadium 17,112 8/16
QF Melbourne Storm Loss 0 40 9 Sep Olympic Park 15,552

What's your point. Is Brisbane the only team that struggles when their captain and/or chief playmaker is out? Seriously. Parramatta without Hayne. Warriors without Johnson. Tigers without Farah. Storm without Cronk. North Qld without Thurston.

Let's just disregard the finals record and premierships and concentrate on some gumby statistic that's common throughout football.

Kiwi

First Grade
How many SOO games are played a year?

I remember the times when Lockyer was out long term.

Broncs were stuffed when that happened.

eg 2007 Lockyer ruptured his ACL subsequent results were

19 Parramatta Eels Loss 16 20 23 Jul Suncorp Stadium 25,702 5/16
20 Cronulla Sharks Win 30 16 29 Jul Suncorp Stadium 24,563 5/16
21 Manly Sea Eagles Loss 8 21 5 Aug Suncorp Stadium 35,784 6/16
22 Melbourne Storm Loss 6 14 12 Aug Olympic Park 7/16
23 Canterbury Bulldogs Loss 24 25 17 Aug Suncorp Stadium 35,199 9/16
24 Canberra Raiders Win 30 19 26 Aug Suncorp Stadium 31,614 8/16
25 Parramatta Eels Loss 22 68 2 Sep Parramatta Stadium 17,112 8/16
QF Melbourne Storm Loss 0 40 9 Sep Olympic Park 15,552
I think you u will find for half of those games they a lot more than Lockyer out, the last few games there were a barely alot of the starting 13 in the side we were severely crippled by injuries. The forward pack looked alright, apart from Lacey in the 9, the back line had Hodges and Boyd, the rest were unifies.

Last edited:

Spud

Juniors
I think you u will find for half of those games they a lot more than Lockyer out, the last few games there were a barely alot of the starting 13 in the side we were severely crippled by injuries. The forward pack looked alright, apart from Lacey in the 9, the back line had Hodges and Boyd, the rest were unifies.

That's true. If I remember correctly we also had Berrigan, Carroll, Tate, Thaiday, Hunt and Carlaw as well as Lockyer sidelined all at the same time

Noname36

First Grade
I still think when you look beyond first grade the Knights are in much better space than they were when he started. They are playing terribly now but they are a few good kids and 10% improvement from top 8. It's a very close competition......

Absolutely. Despite all the doom and gloom calls I reckon whoever walks into the Knights coaching job next has got a good thing on their hands.

I've lost a fair bit of respect for Bennett due to the way he's gone about this (first his comments about the players and then going under Hook's nose and making that call the day of the Knights game for rise for Alex round) but I'm still thankful for what he's done for the club. While I'm not sure Bennett was the right fit for the FG side, he's done great things for the club as a whole and for the first time in a long time I'm genuinely excited about the future and not nervous about what's coming next.

Kiwi

First Grade
That's true. If I remember correctly we also had Berrigan, Carroll, Tate, Thaiday, Hunt and Carlaw as well as Lockyer sidelined all at the same time
Carroll, thaiday and carlaw played.

Perry and eastwood were our halves, we had guys like emmett in the outside backs.

Spud

Juniors
Carroll, thaiday and carlaw played.

Perry and eastwood were our halves, we had guys like emmett in the outside backs.

Maybe those three were missing in the weeks preceding? I remember a long injury list. Possible I'm mixing up seasons...?

big hit!

Bench
He should have stepped down yesterday.

The Knights won't sack him after the events of the last week and the goodwill that has to be displayed for Mckinnon and rugby league's sake.

It's bad enough players are mercenaries and pledge their future allegiance to other clubs a season or two in advance. Coaches have a fair deal of a club's football strategic direction in their control and having a bloke in a senior position announce he's up and off to another club with the season yet to conclude, and yet remain at his incumbent organisation, just reinforces the joke of the way some things work in rugby league.

More a joke on the Broncos though. For a leading sports organisation, they're looking backwards to move into the future. Why not freeze the bloke now so they can have his input in a century's time, because the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Football Club are telling the world that they don't have any ideas other than relying on a coach who was around when they won all the premierships they have. For one of the biggest football clubs in the country, this decision is weak.

Last edited: