What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Just read the press release.

Wow, Bennett really may as well have said "this team is going nowhere and I want one more premiership before I retire so see ya".

Slackboy72

Coach
https://twitter.com/RLW_Mole/status/487104898438135808

Guess who just got back today?
Them wild-eyed boys that had been away
Haven't changed, haven't much to say
But man, I still think them cats are crazy

They were asking if you were around
How you was, where you could be found
Told them you were living downtown
Driving all the old men crazy

The boys are back in town
I said

jamesgould

Juniors
The Knights fans can scapegoat Bennett all they like, but anyone who watches the Knights play knows that the squad is full of peahearts who will put the cue in the rack as soon as it looks like they're collapsing. Darius included, which is certainly Bennett's issue. The spoon this year, if they win it is entirely the fault of the playing group.

Bennett assembled 90% of this squad ...

RUG13Y

Juniors
Bennett surely wont want to be at gct, why after dealing with one dodgy grub in Tinkler would he want to deal with another in Searle? Think people think.

Noname36

First Grade
The Knights fans can scapegoat Bennett all they like, but anyone who watches the Knights play knows that the squad is full of peahearts who will put the cue in the rack as soon as it looks like they're collapsing. Darius included, which is certainly Bennett's issue. The spoon this year, if they win it is entirely the fault of the playing group.

I like Bennett, and I'm sad he's leaving, but you pretty much just described his actions today in that one sentence.

He pretty much just threw in the towel and told his team of "peahearts" (that he's been in charge of for 3 years and mostly put together) that they're a lost cause so he's jumping ship so someone else can deal with them.

insert.pause

First Grade
Didn't the dragons seek financial assistance from the NRL only last year? Can they afford the million dollar salary for Bennett?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I like Bennett, and I'm sad he's leaving, but you pretty much just described his actions today in that one sentence.

He pretty much just threw in the towel and told his team of "peahearts" (that he's been in charge of for 3 years and mostly put together) that they're a lost cause so he's jumping ship so someone else can deal with them.

You got within one game of the grand final and only lost because you lost Buderus to injury during the game then completely collapsed the very next year after he retired. That seems to suggest there isn't much deficiency in talent across the team, they just don't have the right attitude.

meercat

Juniors
On the plus side, Knights are now an ex-Bennett team, so we shouldn't lose to the Dragons should they sign him next year...

Swarzey

Bench
Sort of shows Bennett can't build a team for shit. Was gifted an entire state to pick from at Brisbane, already had a first class team assembled that should have already won a premiership at the Dragons. If he thinks he's going to have an easier time at the Dragons in 2015 then oh boy, isn't he in for a treat :lol:

Nightward

Juniors
I think it's worth noting that he was bought in to fix long-term problems with the Queensland Origin set-up that were costing the Maroons games and series.

The Maroons didn't go all that well under him, but the structures he put in place led to Mal and eight years of dominance when he'd done all he could.

Bennett does understand his limitations. He may well have guided the Knights as far as he can.

Noname36

First Grade
You got within one game of the grand final and only lost because you lost Buderus to injury during the game then completely collapsed the very next year after he retired. That seems to suggest there isn't much deficiency in talent across the team, they just don't have the right attitude.

Attitude was never our problem this year. They (apart from maybe Boyd) showed up for every single game. The heads went down when things went wrong because they were down on confidence due to not winning a game in two freaking months. The general lack of confidence was obvious in both attack and defence.

Everything that could have gone wrong this year did, and yet they kept hanging in there and showing up to win every game until a couple of wins came. How is that not the right attitude?

It was Bennett that decided not to keep hanging in there. That's totally his choice but I don't think he'll win any admirers by publicly insinuating his players are a lost cause and he can't fix them...especially after what they've all been through this year.

Last edited:

coolsteve

Juniors
Bennett is a rich man .Why not coach Cronulla for zilch, steer them right , install a `culture` blah blah. It`s not as if he needs the dough. Try and help the game, instead of raping the game.(btw,I do respect Bennett as a coach)

insert.pause

First Grade
Bennett is a rich man .Why not coach Cronulla for zilch, steer them right , install a `culture` blah blah. It`s not as if he needs the dough. Try and help the game, instead of raping the game.(btw,I do respect Bennett as a coach)

He has two children who will need to be cared for for the rest of their lives and long after he is gone, that's why he needs the money.

Apey

Staff member

Lol! Any other coach and you'd be blaming them instead.

Noname36

First Grade
I think it's worth noting that he was bought in to fix long-term problems with the Queensland Origin set-up that were costing the Maroons games and series.

The Maroons didn't go all that well under him, but the structures he put in place led to Mal and eight years of dominance when he'd done all he could.

Bennett does understand his limitations. He may well have guided the Knights as far as he can.

This is a really good point. Although he didn't get a premiership at the Knights so most will see his time there as a failure, he's certainly brought a lot to the club in terms of setting it up for long term success with revamping the junior system and exposing the club to a professional football set up that it had always lacked.