What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

Joker's Wild

Coach
Id actually be pretty shocked if he linked up with the Broncos again, in any capacity. His relationship with the media in Brisbane and elements within the Broncos was pretty sour back then and I wouldnt expect much has changed

insert.pause

First Grade
Id actually be pretty shocked if he linked up with the Broncos again, in any capacity. His relationship with the media in Brisbane and elements within the Broncos was pretty sour back then and I wouldnt expect much has changed

A lot has changed in 6 years, the chairman, board and CEO for starters is completely different, some sections of the club does remain hostile to Bennett but its very much a minority. In saying that, I too would be surprised if he ended up back there and I personally believe it would be a stop gap measure unless the club had a firm succession plan in place for when he retires. But with Bennett you never know.

dogslife

Coach
He'll go somewhere where he doesn't have to answer to a board of directors at every turn. He was basically left to his own devices at the Dragons and Knights and I think he'll be looking for the same.

Won't get it at Brisbane.

saint.nick

Coach
That's very true dogslife, he gives the impression of being very independent. He has a very good working relationship with Doust, and he can't speak highly enough of the club. I'm pretty confident he'll end up back at Saints, all indications seem to be pointing towards that. Plus, he may appreciate that Saints seem to be the club most desperate to acquire his services. Brisbane don't even know if they want him, and by the time they decide that they do, he could already be gone.

insert.pause

First Grade
That's very true dogslife, he gives the impression of being very independent. He has a very good working relationship with Doust, and he can't speak highly enough of the club. I'm pretty confident he'll end up back at Saints, all indications seem to be pointing towards that. Plus, he may appreciate that Saints seem to be the club most desperate to acquire his services. Brisbane don't even know if they want him, and by the time they decide that they do, he could already be gone.
Paul White goes back a long way with Bennett and I don't think he would look to interfere. The lack of autonomy only became an issue after Bennett's plans to leave the club for the roosters came out and the board no longer trusted him and the relationships just soured from there. With new administration and board, including Lockyer, and with Bennett at the final stage in his coaching career, it's no longer an issue. He has even reportedly patched things up with News ltd since leaving.

Bennett reportedly met with a Broncos director and Peter Nolan in Newcastle a couple of months ago, and before he originally signed with Newcastle the Broncos chased him, so it's not as if they are cold to the idea.

I think the Broncos will or have made inquiries and whether he returns or not could be a decision based on family, it's not like when he originally moved south and had his daughter's family living close by in Sydney, they are all back in Brisbane. Committing to the dragons is another 3 years living away from home.

I think the idea of a fairy-tale homecoming and winning a title at the Broncos, something they couldn't achieve without him, would appeal to him and the clubs roster next year is probably close to the strongest it's looked for a while. If a return is to happen, as most have expected from the moment he left, it's probably close to the last opportunity he will get.

He likes to make the media look silly so I would be cautious accepting their word as gospel, afterall they had him signed, sealed and delivered to souths the last time this circus came to town.

dogslife

Coach
f**k the Broncs are going to be a juggernaut next year with Bennett, Milford, Barba, Smith and DCE!

Dave_

Juniors
I think no matter where he goes, it won't be at a club that's too hard. Master coach no more.

cleary89

Coach
Pretty spot on for me although the danger for Saints (if he goes back) is that there could be that feeling of 'we got the band back together' which in itself drives expectations, realistic or otherwise.

Just up to the players buying into it. Young and Hornby would have jumped in front of a train if WB told them they would win a premiership if they did it. They went through the 04-06 years where we were so close yet couldn't do it. We had a great squad, just always "choked".

Different kettle of fish this time if he comes, a lot of individually brilliant players but we aren't ready for instant success like we were in 09. A very young side too, someone said our second oldest forward the other week was 24. Didn't fact check though. I've seen him speak a few times and the biggest thing I took away from it is the great man manager he is. He basically said coaching is a lot like teaching, your working with a lot of young men who don't necessary live in the 'normal' world. Get lots of money, girls and free time and it's all about trying to help them become decent men and footballers. No surprise pretty much all our players are getting degrees at wgong uni.

I hope he comes, but no way does it mean instant success. I do feel it will make us more competitive though. Won't be surprised if he has a lot of the old boys (hornby, young, fien, coops) around the club a fair bit letting the players know what happens if you buy into it.

Hopefully he leaves something for the club when he goes though, last time there were no young players coming through (guys like linnett, whare, leuilua) were let go and we basically had to start again (not to mention he took guys like scott, boyd, smith and mckinnon).

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
I actually think part of the problem is Newcastle just thought success it would inevitably happen.

Absolutely!

In regards to Bennett, he'll end up at the Titans, Broncos or retired. Surely he wants to get back to his family!

Things changed when Tinkler had his plane repossessed. That was a big part of the Bennett deal - free charter plane home when he wanted it.

insert.pause

First Grade
* JUST on Wayne Bennett, I wasn’t surprised at his decision to quit the Knights. Will he come back to Brisbane?

There seems to be interminable talk about Wayne coming home to the Broncos but the only way the club will move on from Wayne is if it becomes successful without him.

Everyone at the club, coach Anthony Griffin included, is striving for success.

Right now, Brisbane are doing OK, but ultimately clubs are judged on results and every coach accepts that.

Knowing Wayne, I can’t see him taking on a coaching director’s role. Not yet anyway.

Wayne is very much a hands-on mentor and I think he still has a desire to be a head coach.

Wherever Wayne goes, he will take a great work ethic and be inclined to be the main man in the trenches doing his thing. I don’t know if that will ever change.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-finals-hots-up/story-fni3fbgz-1226985941509

Might be reading too much into it, but according to Lockyer, a current Broncos director, it doesn't sound like Brisbane will be an option.

Vaisey

Juniors
I think he will retire, he's getting on a bit. Sure he hasn't achieved the great standards he set himself over the years at Newcastle but I doubt any other coach could have got much more out of that team. He has nothing to prove and will be regarded as one of the greats in most people's books. (unless your dillusional)

God-King Dean

Immortal

No coincidence since leaving Brisbane he's opened himself to the media.

Said more in the past 6 years than in his entire time at Broncos.

Daddycool

Juniors
I always thought the reason he left the Dragons, was he didn't want to be associated with Doust anymore. I mean….. he was on a good thing. He'd just won a Premiership and had the squad to potentially win more. I'm sure Doust wanted him to extend the deal but he said no and left.

Anyway…. who knows. Perhaps a couple of seasons back at the Broncos with Lockyer as an assistant, before handing over to him.

Latest posts