What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 37th Match: Australia v New Zealand - London D/N 29/6/19 (Aust won by 86 runs)

Eelectrica

Referee
The Eels/Aussie weekend complete once again :sunglasses:

Pretty easy win in the end

Knew Oozie would stand up when needed. Smiths form a worry, considering Stoinplod and Maxy not doing much either
Not worried about Smith, it took a pretty damn good catch to remove him. And Maxwell for that matter.
Would like to see Smith and Maxwell have longer innings against SA though.
Also I'd swap the batting order of Carey and Maxwell. Carey in great form could come in a little earlier.

typicalfan

Coach
Pretty disappointed with that, need to be better

Straya finding a way and Starc re emerging as the best white ball bowler
You mean of all time? I think he emerged as the best currently in the last world cup.

edabomb

First Grade
It’s almost the same squad as last time, except Munro isn’t McCullum and Santner isn’t Vettori and that’s very telling including leadership.

Elliott at 5 now being Latham is a massive step down as well. We have lost tempo multiple times when Latham has come in during the tournament. He isn't an ODI 5 against quality attacks.

typicalfan

Coach
He's peaked at the two World Cups...

Lots of contenders for all time, he's in the discussion
That's certainly a good quality and his record isn't helped by how many ODIs he is rested from.

I think he has a way to go to be all time but agree he could be in the discussion.

Tipster

Bench
That's certainly a good quality and his record isn't helped by how many ODIs he is rested from.

I think he has a way to go to be all time but agree he could be in the discussion.

On track to get back to back player of the tournament in world cups. But agree with you that him barely playing in between counts against him.

sharkman73

Juniors
He is better than Wade and I think his keeping has improved as well. This could end up Healy/Gilly all over again as that was the same sort of scenario.

Yeah Wade's keeping is horrible but Paine's is top notch.

I like Carey but he makes too many mistakes with the gloves for Tests imo.

JJ

Immortal
Elliott at 5 now being Latham is a massive step down as well. We have lost tempo multiple times when Latham has come in during the tournament. He isn't an ODI 5 against quality attacks.
I disagree, so far three quality bats Guptill Taylor and Latham have done nothing. Tactics and especially selections have been reactive not proactive...

We're a top 4 side, unlikely to go past semis but with Williamson and Boult we have an outside shot. But those three have been a huge disappointment

Front-Rower

First Grade
Khawaja took his chances but dropped twice, behind the wicket both times, just standing there swinging the bat with no foot movement...

Kiwis can still be a chance but their bats really need to help Kane and the bowlers

edabomb

First Grade
I disagree, so far three quality bats Guptill Taylor and Latham have done nothing. Tactics and especially selections have been reactive not proactive...

We're a top 4 side, unlikely to go past semis but with Williamson and Boult we have an outside shot. But those three have been a huge disappointment

Taylor has managed 233 runs vs Latham's 41 over 6 innings. Latham has also been striking at 49. I just don't see him having the same goodwill Taylor and Guptill do. A career average of 32 and some average keeping doesn't compel me to retain him.

JJ

Immortal
Taylor has managed 233 runs vs Latham's 41 over 6 innings. Latham has also been striking at 49. I just don't see him having the same goodwill Taylor and Guptill do. A career average of 32 and some average keeping doesn't compel me to retain him.
Yep fair enough. But Blundell is plod... squad yet again poorly selected IMO

Iafeta

Referee
Fairly easy to see that coming. That was a great ODI wicket. But it was a 210-220 wicket and NZ completely took their foot off the throat through the middle. It was a wicket where you could hang on just full or a good length and it’d be tough but they bowled a lot of long half volleys and half trackers to Carey while Boult drank Gatorade on the boundary. I think Kane really screwed up his bowling rotations.

The Guptill and Neesham catches glossed over a very poor fielding effort. Lots of bobbles. A couple of poor boundary efforts. Three very gettable drops. If you aren’t going to get your out cricket right it will be tough.

It’s worth remembering we had a very easy start to this tournament in terms of the draw. And we had a rain out against India. I think we will be swiftly dispatched by England and go out comfortably in the semis.