What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have signed Chris Walker

Gronk

Staff member
I'm hearing that Chris Walker, Willy Mason and whole bunch of colourful types are at the Clovelly for Brett Finch's farewell. Birds of a feather etc

strider

Post Whore
no doubt sipping lattes and OJs .... they're all reformed goody goodies now apparently

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm hearing that Chris Walker, Willy Mason and whole bunch of colourful types are at the Clovelly for Brett Finch's farewell. Birds of a feather etc

you can probably add Piggy, Freddy, Reni, Mini and Craig Wing to that...:lol:

I'd hate to be the RSA officer for that one..:lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
why recruit in positions that aren't an issue, when we appear lacking elsewhere?

Explain why the backline isn't an issue?

Reddy apparently has to have a shoulder reconstruction. Grothe has recurring injury problems as does Timana Tahu. Kris Inu and Jonothan Wright have left the club. The jury remains out on Karl Filiga. We have TK Amosa in our top 25 who while he is a decent enough kid doesn't appear to be anything more than a fringe first grader at best.

They could use a player like Ken Sio or Rory Brien but neither player has played first grade so there remains questions as to how they would handle the step up. Someone will of course mention Jakob Loko but better judges suggest we have twelve months before he wll be ready.

The signing of Walker and Jordan Atkins gives the club two cheap first grade experienced options should we either lose a player to injury which appears likely on precedent.

The signing of Walker will not make one iota of difference to the club recruiting a halfback option if they in fact do....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Reddy apparently has to have a shoulder reconstruction. Grothe has recurring injury problems as does Timana Tahu. Kris Inu and Jonothan Wright have left the club. The jury remains out on Karl Filiga. We have TK Amosa in our top 25 who while he is a decent enough kid doesn't appear to be anything more than a fringe first grader at best.

They could use a player like Ken Sio or Rory Brien but neither player has played first grade so there remains questions as to how they would handle the step up. Someone will of course mention Jakob Loko but better judges suggest we have twelve months before he wll be ready.

The signing of Walker and Jordan Atkins gives the club two cheap first grade experienced options should we either lose a player to injury which appears likely on precedent.

The signing of Walker will not make one iota of difference to the club recruiting a halfback option if they in fact do....

Are you serious TK Amosa is in our top 25 ? I didn't think he would be with us next year as he may be to old for Toyota, I thought Loco was more of a chance to be in the top 25

The Colonel

Immortal
Loko is still eligible for the NYC and while it is likely he will train with the first grade side if he plays first grade this year then we have some serious issues in regard to injury. He has been described to me by a rather decent judge as a similar player to Tony Williams who was probably too good for the kids he played against in the lower grades but couldn't handle the initial step up to first grade. He needs time.

As for Amosa, yes he is in our top 25.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Loko is still eligible for the NYC and while it is likely he will train with the first grade side if he plays first grade this year then we have some serious issues in regard to injury. He has been described to me by a rather decent judge as a similar player to Tony Williams who was probably too good for the kids he played against in the lower grades but couldn't handle the initial step up to first grade. He needs time.

As for Amosa, yes he is in our top 25.

I am shocked didn't think he was that good

bartman

Immortal
It's far from a pressing recruitment issue in my mind anyway.

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Reddy
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
...is exactly how we started 2010. The difference between 2009 and 2010 wasn't so much needing replacements or extra depth in these positions, it was the change in how they seemed to be receiving the ball in attack.

Reddy apparently has to have a shoulder reconstruction. Grothe has recurring injury problems as does Timana Tahu. Kris Inu and Jonothan Wright have left the club.
Wasn't aware of the Reddy situation.

Beyond the first choice 5 we could never keep a spare back with the quality/history of Inu under the cap for more than the one special year with back-ending etc. It was a shame to lose Wright, but we still have Humble probably as first choice to fill a gap, and Atkins as a recruit, juniors in various stages of preparedness as mentioned.

I guess that's kind of my point. This recruitment won't make one iota of difference. Hoping that the club gets on with doing something to assist the halves improve from 2010. Even if that means some improvements in the pack, to help the platform... but imo you don't achieve that with a winger of Walker's type.

Ollie Webb

Juniors
Amosa is not in top 25, he may be training with the top squad.
1.Burt,2.hayne,3. Tahu,4.motimer,5.robson,6 webb,7.shack,8.fui, 9.keating,10.poor,11.mitchell,12.lasalo,13.horo,14.smith,hiney,16.maitua,17allgood,
18.mannah,19.reddy,20.etu,21.grothe,22,walker,23.atkins,24.Murray.25 TBC (maybe 7 or 6)

Forty20

First Grade
Walker is on a second tier contract I believe, leaving an extra vacancy in your top 25.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Do players outside the top tier train with the eels or do they train with Wenty?

Actually, do all the top 25 train together?

strider

Post Whore
re: reddy .... didn't jodeci say the man himself told him he was good to go?

re: amosa in top 25 .... I don't think top 25 necessarily means you consider him one of the top 25 players at the club, i think its just a money juggling exercise

re: humble .... wtf? .... :(

boxhead

First Grade
Wow.....Humble gonski?

That's not good news, and I personally know how quite a few Eels fans will take it.....