What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Missed out...AGAIN

Misanthrope

Staff member
Seriously, burn the club to the ground. Fold it, fire the administration, and start afresh. We're a deadset dinosaur of the game. A poorly managed, near broke organisation run more like an RSL than a professional sports team.

It's not just this latest failure to secure a rumored player (remember when it was Carl Webb?) - it's the entire mess. The rent debacle last year, the off field dramas, the chook raffle poll we ran about Mason, the old woman outcries over the 'mistreatment' of underperforming locals, and everything in between.

Deadset. Supporting the Knights is a joy sometimes, but at other times it's second only to supporting Cronulla. It's just hard to watch.

aqua_duck

Coach
He's joining the cowboys because he believes they have a chance of winning the comp, personally I think they're a better chance of winning the spoon particularly with Bowen out for half the season

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
I feel a little silly posting this again in this thread now that I have read the whole Knights forum...but here is the post from another forum I'm on from a guy who I know works for one of the TV stations in Townsville (TEN I think):

i just texted our local sports journo and yes he get a phone call at 645pm saying he signed with the cowboys. he rang the cowboys media manager who hadnt heard anything about the signing yet.

This was posted at 10pm NSW time this evening, though having seen all the articles posted online I'm not so sure that this little tidbit of info has as much weight to it any more...

Yosh

Coach

Well I'm gutted to say the least... Probably the most exciting thing to happen in a preseaon for a long time.... Very gutted... VERY VERY GUTTED...

Anything to look forward to guys till March?

Frederick

Staff member
We offered him more money and a longer contract, but apparently have less chance of winning the premiership than a club that hasn't made the finals in god knows how many years, even with the supposed best player in the game on their books. Meanwhile we're a team full of nuffys and have been on the constant improve. Oh well, good luck to him.

His mother needs to clip him across the ear

Masomn can say what he likes... he joined the Cowboys bacuase they will let him get away with whatever sh*t he wantrs to, and we won't. This bloke isn't serious about getting his attitude or application to the game right, never has been.

When I heard the news, my first reaction was relief. Missing out on Mason is like missing out on cancer.

Wobbygong

First Grade
He didn't want to live in Islington or Mayfield can you blame him, even Merewether Heights is a sh*te hole compared to the eastern suburbs of Sydney or on the Marina up in Townsville. You blokes go better with a team of nuffies anyway, you might make 10th this year.

macavity

Referee
Masomn can say what he likes... he joined the Cowboys bacuase they will let him get away with whatever sh*t he wantrs to, and we won't. This bloke isn't serious about getting his attitude or application to the game right, never has been.

When I heard the news, my first reaction was relief. Missing out on Mason is like missing out on cancer.

I was all for him coming here - but you are spot on about this development.

If he was serious about turning his life around, he would have signed here. He would have appreciated having family close by, he wouldn't have been scared of any supposed media spotlight, and our strict code of conduct wouldn't have phased him at all.

Instead he opts for the asylum run by the lunatics, a club widely acknowledged to be party central, to go play with his mates who are trouble on a stick. He went to where he thinks he can get away with murder.

this was a real angel on one shoulder and devil on the other decision - and without a doubt the devil has his ear.

He had the chance to turn his life around, become part of a community, and set himself up for life after football.

He chose a frat house instead.

lol@ better chance of a premiership. Cows won't make the 8.

B-dos

Referee
gee to hear the change of attitudes here is quite something

yesterday we were desperate to pick him up and now all i see is people convincing themselves we got lucky by missing out

the fact of the matter is our club is an absolute joke. its an embarrassment

to think weve had wicks of our books for months and have only just given willie a thought after club after club turned him away is diabolical. it is a disgrace

we have a coach who no one has ever heard of. has coached a handful of games. he was signed up becuase it was the easy option and it kept the boys happy. and why on earth would a top player wanting to reignite his career take a punt on that?

face facts guys, this it yet another example of our club missing out on a quality signing because we are seen as a poorly run rabble and as a club without direction. we're destined to miss out on many more of these signings in the years ahead unless we see huge changes.

transporter

Juniors
i agree with B-dos, our club is a mess,
some of our staff dont like the part,
seriously Newcastle if we really serious about Willie we should of done something from day 1.

no surprise we missed out again.

Doctor

Bench
He's joining the cowboys because he believes they have a chance of winning the comp, personally I think they're a better chance of winning the spoon particularly with Bowen out for half the season

That's the line Willie is running with, but you can take it as fact that premiership-chances have nothing to do with it. My mail is it's because the conditions the Knights wanted to put in place on Willie's contract were too stringent. It seems the Knights have actually stuck to their policy of recent seasons by insisting they won't have their reputation dragged through mud by ill-disciplined players. And Willie couldn't cope with it, so he's gone north.

This won't be one that will come back and bite us in the bum, though perhaps the same cannot be said for the Cowboys.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors

Mig2006

Juniors
Listening to the Knights fans in this thread is amusing to say the least. One minute you are desperate for the Big Willie to join your club and once you miss out, you are looking for someone to blame.

Taking a subsequent shot at the Cowboys' culture and lifestyle up in Townsville also wreaks of desperation and despair. After all, the Knights are far from a model club - some of you have very short memories....

With debacles like the Wicks disgrace as well as another unknown player being linked to the affair, as well as the greatest ever player playing most of his life drugged up, it all adds up to a place where one would like to steer clear of in the next few seasons, despite their potential winning capability!

Before you bag the Cowboys and Willie's decision to 'join his drinking mates' up north where he can 'run amok', I suggest you look at your own backyard.

roopy

Referee
He would have been good this year - but i have to say a washed up 30 year old on big money for the next few seasons is not what we need.
I think we have a chance to be top four this season and still have a lot of money to spend next season as we lose several older guys on big money (Cross, Simmo) plus the Wicks money.
We need to spend that money on some quality 25 year olds - not a has been 30 year old.

macavity

Referee
Before you bag the Cowboys and Willie's decision to 'join his drinking mates' up north where he can 'run amok', I suggest you look at your own backyard.

Thanks for your concern. Our backyard is fine thanks, and we put in place the policies to keep it that way..... and that is why he didn't want to be here.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Listening to the Knights fans in this thread is amusing to say the least. One minute you are desperate for the Big Willie to join your club and once you miss out, you are looking for someone to blame.

Taking a subsequent shot at the Cowboys' culture and lifestyle up in Townsville also wreaks of desperation and despair. After all, the Knights are far from a model club - some of you have very short memories....

With debacles like the Wicks disgrace as well as another unknown player being linked to the affair, as well as the greatest ever player playing most of his life drugged up, it all adds up to a place where one would like to steer clear of in the next few seasons, despite their potential winning capability!

umm firstly ddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Some here are in-fact blaming their own club for poor management (which is very true.) I also pointed out however that after the wicks saga the knights obviously put a strong zero tolerance in his contract, he did not like that so has chosen the cowboys which shows his intensions.

Look at mason and your own culture not what one player out of a whole team has done and been punished for.

B-dos

Referee
He would have been good this year - but i have to say a washed up 30 year old on big money for the next few seasons is not what we need.
I think we have a chance to be top four this season and still have a lot of money to spend next season as we lose several older guys on big money (Cross, Simmo) plus the Wicks money.
We need to spend that money on some quality 25 year olds - not a has been 30 year old.

30yr old forwards are not washed up

money in thew bank means nothing when players have no desire to join your club

this forum has been carrying on for years about "we have this money and that money we can get so and so"

it never happens. we need to ask ourselves why

the wishful thinking is bordering on the ridiculous

B-dos

Referee
Thanks for your concern. Our backyard is fine thanks, and we put in place the policies to keep it that way..... and that is why he didn't want to be here.

are you aware of what restrictions were placed on mason mac?