What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need backs!

playdaball

Bench
Hopefully both Price and Wiki become Warriors in 05, if not we may be in trouble but ...

we will still be very thin with regard to backs, especially outside backs.

Who will replace Henry and Murphy?

Hopefully we can secure a Carlaw, Martin type of signing e.g - experienced, able to cover at least two positions and relatively cheap. We are definitely one speciality winger short (e.g - not Ropati)

Any ideas?

JJ

Immortal
They're wings... it doesn't matter too much who replaces them - it's the 11 others that give them the ball at the right time to make them look ok...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Give Vatuvei and a few of the other young blokes some coaching on defensive positioning and we'll be fine. I think wing is really about the least important position in league, I'd even consider taking the attitude of getting a couple of big blokes (Meli and Vatuvei) sorted for the job, and then utilise them as much as extra forwards to take the first couple of hit-ups while the pack gets back on side and the defensive lines are still re-setting as well as their usual role as finishers. Sailor did this well at Brisbane.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
We have enough stand offs right now with Hohaia - played for kiwis, leuluai - played for kiwis and ropati - will play for kiwis later in his career no doubt.

I do though feel the same way about Wingers, yet i think Vatuvei has a big career ahead of him.

Has Murphy actually signed for a club yet? I sure hope the warriors keep him and play him and Meli as the wingers.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I heard that Manly's winger Scott Donald comes off contract, maybe Mick Watson could consider him. Hes a flyer!

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
Shaun said:
We have enough stand offs right now with Hohaia - played for kiwis, leuluai - played for kiwis and ropati - will play for kiwis later in his career no doubt.

so shaun you are saying that just because they have played for the kiwis or will play for the kiwis..that their style of play suits the warriors??

thats just stupid.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Are you saying the Hohaia or Ropatis style doing "suit" the warriors? Coz i think they do especially Ropati.

Skinner

Coach
Gotta go with the Hoe here. Frankly I would not have signed young Lancey
if he was the last number 6 in the entire world. Thomas is....well Thomas, but
he's only a short half head in front of young Lancey in the number 6 stakes.
Jerome is all class and should become THE stand-off but he's not quite there
at NRL level yet. Even when is, back up is still required.

Skinner

Skinner

Coach
Shaun said:
Whats wrong with Hohaia?

Positional kicking is crap, ball distribution is extremely dodgy at times,
defence is suss (but include most of them for this) and has a questionable
attitude. Not the bloke I'd want there under any pressure.

Skinner

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Skinner said:
Shaun said:
Whats wrong with Hohaia?

Positional kicking is crap, ball distribution is extremely dodgy at times,
defence is suss (but include most of them for this) and has a questionable
attitude. Not the bloke I'd want there under any pressure.

Skinner
Positives:

He's got good acceleration and a step, and is pretty strong for a small bloke.
Useful short kicking game.
Thats about it :?

Ray

Juniors
I was very impressed with Lance Hohaia last year when Jones was injured, and his short kicking game really stood out. But his long kicking game has been largely disappointing this year. He only manages to get a max 30m on it, and it usually ends down the fullback/wing's throat.

Ropati is the long term option for me, good defense (hit on a Eel last week), good strong runner of the pill, and has genuine speed. Has Hohaia played much at hooker? Because with PJ Marsh in much doubt, and Betham best at lock, Hohaia at dummy-half seems logical. He certianly has all the skills to fulfill it.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I wish Ropati would get more time at 6. Hohaia & Leulauai have had decent stints there & neither has really stamped his mark with any consistency, neither has enough finesse to his game. We've been weak at standoff for the clubs entire history. Maybe Ropati isnt the answer, but I'd at least like to find out.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Another winger i believe coming off contract, is El Masri, but then again i suppose he'd need more money than we can give him after we've got Wiki and price or beatie.

Ray

Juniors
But Nathan Fien is a bloody ordinary player anyway. I have absolutely no idea why we recruited him. :?

Corbin

Juniors
im a roosters fan but my 2nd fav club is warriors...

THE WARRIORS NEED A GOAL KICKING FREAK like jonny wilkinson/el masri

and they should be going forstand off that can organise them

(im not say Lance Hohaia and leulay( spelling?) are bad but i think Lance will go ESL and leuly as a impact player like sully from sharks. i think that the ideal player to get for a 5/8 would b that guy from barta cup who plays hooker and does goal kicking um wats his name here wig or something #-o :?
so yer

Latest posts