What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need backs!

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I liked (read:sarcasm) the non stop changing of goal kicker during the match.

A masterstroke!

Ray

Juniors
Dirty Hoe said:
Ray said:
And Tony Martin is a proven goal-kicker anyway.

yeah when he could be arsed putting in some practice

Oh when the coach could just kick with Tony Martin instead of Sione "I-can't-kick-from-10m-infront" Faumuina.

Iafeta

Referee
Corbin said:
im a roosters fan but my 2nd fav club is warriors...

THE WARRIORS NEED A GOAL KICKING FREAK like jonny wilkinson/el masri

and they should be going forstand off that can organise them

(im not say Lance Hohaia and leulay( spelling?) are bad but i think Lance will go ESL and leuly as a impact player like sully from sharks. i think that the ideal player to get for a 5/8 would b that guy from barta cup who plays hooker and does goal kicking um wats his name here wig or something #-o :?
so yer

Herewini Rangi?

Marcus Perenara is a very talented young five eighth with a good goal kicking game. I'm surprised they haven't let Evarn Tuimavave develop his goal kicking, because he certainly can nail a goal.

I think Tony Martin needs to shoulder a lot more responsibility, because quite frankly his goal kicking this season (or lack of) has really hurt this club. Sione is a fine back up goal kicker, but considering his comment in the NZherald last week (I haven't been practising, I don't actually practise with a coach, just muck around, I haven't practised because Tony has the job), and then for Tony Kemp to throw a hissy fit and change the goal kicker after one attempt is a very, very, very sad state of affairs. Kemp needs to take a lot of stick for his loss of temper, and loss of direction and faith in Martin after the first shot. By the way, where was Sione trying to kick that goal? Into Botany Bay? It looked to me like he tried to be the glory boy and kick it to kingdom cum, all he has to do is time the ball, not belt it from right out in front. At least thats what Tony does do, time the ball pretty well instead of relying on a bash.

This (Faumuina's lack of practise etc) shows a total lack of professionalism in the club, it wouldn't surprise me by the way we had no tactics/set moves last night that we haven't at all practised any set moves for the past 2 years. But I digress, we have in Auckland Darryl Halligan and Mathew Ridge, to not use either of them on a coaching basis defies logics. Those guys were guns. Heck, they could contract Grant Fox on a consultancy basis to improve the punting of our five eighths and their general goal kicking. It seems we have players with a good base set of skills, but not a good deal of coaching to aid them.

Iafeta

Referee
Scott Donald would be a very, very smart buy. He has pace, but unlike Murphy knows how to use it. He never pays, he knows how to choose it... sorry, ZZ Top flashback.

Ray

Juniors
Again Brent Webb was unconvincing against the Sharks. There was talk from Richard Becht in the Star Times that Webb might be moved into five-eighth because he has a "strong left-footed kicking game" and said that he has a "powerful left foot". Excuse me, but is this the same Webb who continues to kick it down the opposition's throats?

Becht also suggested that Jerome Ropati was being groomed for the fullback position which is a good decision because Hohaia and Jones seems like the prefered 6 and 7 combination. Ropati is a strong player, good kicking game compared to Webb and would add a new dimension to the team that was not offered by Webb.

All the goal-kicking seems to be sorted by last year when we signed "goal-kicking ace" in Tony Martin, but sadly he has not been given enough chances. Faumuina's kicking percentage is so great is because many of his attempts are infront of the posts. And face it, he hasn't had much to convert anyway with the limited tries the Warriors have scored this season.

Corbin

Juniors
I think they should get Darryl Halligan to come and help Tony martin with his goal kicking damn sione faumyweena wateva his name is cant kick a goal even if his life depended on it!
Tony martin was brought over to NZ because of his goal kicking and need of a centre.

i think that Herewini Rangi should be used at hooker (while PJ is away) and brent webb go to 5/8

This is my line up

1.jerome ropati
2 Murphy
3 Martin
4 Toopi
5 Meli
6 Brent webb
7 Stacey Jones
8 Evarn Tuimavave
9 Herewini Rangi
10 jerry seu seu
11 Guttenbiel
12 Villasanti
13 Vinnie Anderson
14 Iafeta Palea'aesina
15 Karl Te Mata
16 Vatuevi
17leuliay (spelling?)

NO BETHAM!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ozbash

Referee
martin went very well at #6 last week v eels.
i dont think hes the right build for a center or a winger.

make a good hooker....

Ray

Juniors
Martin didn't play much at 6 last week ozbash, he played mainly at fullback alternating with Ropati.

Webb shouldn't be a five-eighth option in my mind, hooker yes, genuine playmaker at 6? No.

Ray

Juniors
Martin didn't play much at 6 last week ozbash, he played mainly at fullback alternating with Ropati.

Webb shouldn't be a five-eighth option in my mind, hooker yes, genuine playmaker at 6? No.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Nathan Blacklock is out of favour at the dragqueens, crap tackler but by god can this bloke score a try or two or five. Is he worth a look?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
the backs i'd have my eye on would be : Frawly, Reick, Donald, Creary, B McDougall, Carmont, Bowen , Kativerata, Howland, Clayton , Blacklock and Moodie. On a f/b note Peachy and O'Davis

Only to see how much their contracts and offers are worth and if we can fit one or two of em under the cap.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Also Clinton Schifcoske from Raiders is coming off contract, obviously we wont be able to afford him. But imagine him at f/b, we'd have a 2-in-1 deal. a kicker and a guy who can hold the damn ball.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I'm still not convinced that we really need to splash out on some more backs ... I reckon they will ALL look about 150% better behind a dominant forward pack.

Shaun - which Bowen is that in your list?? Is Matty Bowen off contract?