What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'We should have won four comps' - Willie

strider

Post Whore
funny stuff :lol: :lol: ..... its fun when bulldogs (even recent ex-bulldogs) fight

Iafeta

Referee
lol said it before, say it again, glad my club didn't have a wad of cash and a few latte joints around the training field... the bloke is a short term winner, long term loser for any club psyche. He'll come in, have some great games, but then his mouth, his ego, and his lack of adult type control will start to infiltrate through the club's culture, and you'll start coming up with divides... either player to player divides, or player versus staff divides.

He's exactly the type of bloke you do not want at your club, irrespective of his prowess as an on field athlete. I would back the Roosters to make the finals next year, he will be passionate, he will play hard, and he will be a good on the field contributor, but beyond that, I'm not so sure as his own personal agendas and lack of man management and attitude control start to cause culture problems. For mine, the Roosters were rebuilding nicely, and I think would have achieved more long term success without Mason.

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Yes.
Folkes fired the first shot with small jabs at mason's character since his departure, weather Folkes is right or wrong is irrelevant. Mason rightly pointed out until this point he had not criticised Folkes or the club, Folkes could have been a bigger man and just got on with things, but he had a crack, and now mason has returned serve in a big way.

Fair game i say, and awfully entertaining!

:lol: Such as?

ozjet1

fantastic stuff!

couldnt let the AFL and Ben Cousins hog all the off-season headlines!!!

I for one wouldnt be able to put up with a character like Willie on a daily basis......the Willie that we see in the media that is......i have no idea what he's like in person because ive never met the guy. he a talker, a bit like Terrell Owens in the NFL who gets a really bad wrap over in the US.......EGOMANIA ........and they seems to be divisive in the change rooms......but TO seems to be laid-back with a big mouth..........Willie seems to be an in your face kind of guy.......but again, i dont know cos ive never met him. People live and die by their perception in the media.

although i dont agree with the public slanging that's taking place, its obvious that all was not well down at belmore all season.........the dogs had lost their bite on the field, they werent feared going into the semi's.....and frankly, their playing roster management has been extremely poor! sure, the salary cap is a factor, but apart from this, the team persisted with the same personnel of previous years........roster managment has been re-active rather than pro-active. Admittedly, other NRL clubs are guilty of this.......Saints anyone??? If you're not winning premierships with a particular bunch of players or coach then changes need to be made. Noad was brought in to tidy the books, but he's approach appears to have a lot of people offside........and surely the preferential treatment SBW receives financially, and discipline-wise with his indiscretions would piss other people off. the guy spends more time in the stands than on the park! Im sure Willie noticed this and he became too comfortable with the joint.

Dogaholic

First Grade
If folkes was that bad, willie would never have re-signed with the dogs in the first place.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
:lol: Such as?

im not going to trawl through the countless mason articles to find them but the suggestion was mason wasn't fulfilling his commitments, there was suggestions he was a bad influence on other players and also it was suggested Mason concocted this entire thing so he could play for the Roosters... sounds like a crack at his character imo, now im not saying that what Folkes said is wrong, but as i said originally, first shot was fired by Folkes, fair game

ibeme

First Grade
There's a lot I like about Willie. He can be refreshingly honest at times. He can be funny. He does a lot for charity, much of which doesn't get mentioned. But the same spontaneous character that brings the refreshing honestly also results in plenty of foot in mouth moments. It's all a product of not thinking things through before opening his mouth.

It's all relatively harmless to a point, but Willie has started to believe his own hype, and now thinks that he's bigger than the club. His manager has a lot to answer for also. Clearly Willie doesn't consider the ramifications of his actions to well, so his manager should be more responsible in pulling his strings. Wearing his clothes from his personal sponsor to a rival sponsors function is placing himself above the club. Not turning up to club functions and expecting to get away with it is placing himself above all of the other players who do the right thing.

Such an attitude will create division (which has already seemed to happen), and such issues will create a distraction for the players, but not a unifying distraction as has been the case in the past. This distraction is coming from within. The club had no choice other than to release him.

Folkes has the support of the board for now. Hopefully he can reunite the players that are there, and come up with a decent rebuilding plan for the future. He might not be the most exciting or innovative coach. He may not be Mr personality, but he's managed to keep the club focussed when a lot of other clubs would have fallen apart due to off field matters. That's what makes Willie's comments that their success was due to the players, and not the coach laughable. The amount of times Folkes bunkered down and went into bat with the players, and kept them focussed and unified isn't just luck. Willie obviously doesn't appreciate just what influence a coach has. The players would be running around like headless chooks if they didn't have a game plan. The Dragons have been loaded with high class players for years, but haven't had the coach to get them across the line.

Spitty

Juniors
:lol: That's the funniest article ever.

It's great to see two guys saying what they feel. It's very childish but it's already adding spark to next season.

This is the best off season.

bluey

Bench
I am so glad that the sharks dis not get him.
He has the ability to severly destablize a club.

Smartman

Juniors
I heard when Willie came out the tunnel after halftime in the 06 prelim, he was yelling at the broncos players proclaiming that 'we're in the Grand Final'.

Fekking dill.

bluey

Bench
Smartman said:
I heard when Willie came out the tunnel after halftime in the 06 prelim, he was yelling at the broncos players proclaiming that 'we're in the Grand Final'.

Fekking dill.

And they should have been, except some big names went awol

Smartman

Juniors
bluey said:
And they should have been, except some big names went awol

Thats not the point, players should brag to the opposition when the game is safely in the bag. 14 up at halftime is not safe espescially in this day and age. His remarks lifted the broncos big time.

Im glad hes out of the bulldogs forever.

In time Mason will divide the Roosters just like he has divided Canterbury.Sure as sh*t it will happen again.Just a matter of time.

Ridders

Coach
loved the quote where he says "How dare he slam me", sounds like a little kid.

Love the article tho, definitely got me more pumped up for next season.

badav

Bench
Raider_69 said:
Yes.
Folkes fired the first shot with small jabs at mason's character since his departure, weather Folkes is right or wrong is irrelevant. Mason rightly pointed out until this point he had not criticised Folkes or the club, Folkes could have been a bigger man and just got on with things, but he had a crack, and now mason has returned serve in a big way.

Fair game i say, and awfully entertaining!

fair game, your jokiing yourself. Mason deserved to (and should have) copped a supreme serve over the way he's dogged his club, and then to come out afterwards and say things like i got over it in 5 seconds and , i was always close to joining the roosters.

all he got in return for that was a couple of small remarks from steve folkes. there was more good than bad in the interview folkes gave.

willie mason is just a dick. and thats his problem.

Iafeta

Referee
I think now most people will accept, and bow down to, David Kidwell's hit in that test match being one of the best hits of all time. For the reason it came about, and the fact it was big mouth Mason. I hope Sonny Bill can stay on the track for their next match, lines him up and sends him up into the smegma fans burrow.

innsaneink

Referee
Raider_69 said:
im not going to trawl through the countless mason articles to find them but the suggestion was mason wasn't fulfilling his commitments, there was suggestions he was a bad influence on other players and also it was suggested Mason concocted this entire thing so he could play for the Roosters... sounds like a crack at his character imo, now im not saying that what Folkes said is wrong, but as i said originally, first shot was fired by Folkes, fair game

f**k all in other words.

I understand petty thing infuriate petty people, thats why willies gone off the deep end and you think its a fair call.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
f**k all in other words.

I understand petty thing infuriate petty people, thats why willies gone off the deep end and you think its a fair call.

it was petty, and folkes having known mason for so long would have known it would incite a reaction. Folkes could have been a bigger man and go on with things, he didnt, so mason's fired up... personally i dont really care other then the fact its making the off season unusually entertaining. But yes, i think Folkes is fair game.

Latest posts