What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 3 Finals v Melbourne

Iamback

Coach
He’s out?? I heard he was going pretty well with the contact…

I meant across the last 2 games,

Turuva has looked a different player. It is why we have been able to run Garner at centre and still have points in us.

Btw his footwork for his 1st try is the sort of stuff I meant about the extra stuff that coaches look for when promoting guys to the nrl

Iamback

Coach
Does the quality of defence in the younger grades say that they are poor defenders, or that system is more important and that in the junior grades the part time nature of the squads means the systems aren’t as good?

I asked a player this,

They said to me in lower grades if there is a 20% chance you can score then they go for it. Because they need to get noticed

Also there is almost no video done on the opposition and being part time less time spent on it.

Fangs

Coach
Surely someone on here is hiding outside Luai's home this morning.

Does he look ginger?

Fangs

Coach

Star five-eighth Jarome Luai has been cleared to return from a dislocated shoulder for Penrith's preliminary final against Melbourne.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary confirmed on Thursday that Luai and centre Izack Tago would play in Friday night's match, with the pair returning to full training this week.

"This game was always the one that the medical staff planned on (Jarome) being back for," Cleary said.

"We just had to get to the game, which we have been able to do," Cleary said.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Luai will kill it, cant wait for the Storm to rush out the line whilst he loads one out to Tago and smiles as he's smacked to the ground whilst mouthing off to the dirty merkins.

Girds89

Bench
I get that you think you know what you’re on about, you post with such passion and confidence. That’s all very admirable, but you don’t really understand this particular topic. The more you post, the more it becomes apparent.

Always a good laugh reading ur posts mate.

Once again added nothing... just your "im right, you have no idea" with nothingto back it up. Its becoming a bit of a reoccurring theme on here.

Bob

Juniors

NRL finals: Ivan Cleary provides fitness update on Panthers stars Jarome Luai, Izack Tago​

All eyes are on Penrith’s injured stars Jarome Luai and Izack Tago — and coach Ivan Cleary has provided an update ahead of their clash with Melbourne. Keep up with all the latest team news

Fatima Kdouh

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has confirmed five-eighth Jarome Luai and centre Izack Tago will take the field in a huge double boost for the back-to-back premiers.

Speaking ahead of Friday night’s preliminary showdown against Melbourne, Cleary said Luai had finally received the green light from medial staff on Thursday morning.
Luai hasn’t played since dislocating his shoulder back in round 26.
Both Luai and Tago were able to get through a 90-minute full contact session, which was the final hurdle for the duo, unscathed on Wednesday evening.
Tago was passed fit to return from a pectoral strain.
Jarome Luai has been cleared to return for Penrith’s preliminary final clash with Melbourne. Picture: Jake Hunter

Halfback Nathan Cleary will also take the field after sending an injury scare through Penrith’s camp on Monday morning.
Cleary was sent to hospital after dislocating a finger but scans cleared the No.7 of any serious injury.
“We’ve seen a lot of guys at this club do some pretty amazing things,” coach Cleary said.
“From the moment we got the information the medical staff were very confident (about Luai).
“He’s just put his head down, worked very hard and ticked every box every week.
“We just had to get to the game, which we’ve been able to do. It’s all systems go.”

Girds89

Bench
If defence is about attitude, then when you are looking at 14 year old, I guess you are assessing their character not their technique.

Their willingness to engage in physical contact, not shrink when a big forward runs at them. Racing to get back in position when they make a tackle, diving on loose balls. Standing up to aggression. Character is hard to teach, the building blocks have to be there and a good culture will help develop that.

Sure, the technical aspects of defending can be taught and is not important when assessing kids. I think Luke is referring to that when he talks about defence. Without that Character, you don't have the basis for an NRL player regardless of how skilled and speedy they are.

Our players seem to have been picked because of their character. Commentators rarely complement our defensive technique.
Are the Panthers technically better than any other team when it comes to defence? I think no, but technique doesn't make Kenny dive on a loose ball, or try and smash a prop twice his size. It doesn't make Marto try and put the opposition into the front seats, or make Leota square up to rampaging props like Fonua Blake. It's all about character. Character = defensive resolve. Find the youngsters with that and you are on the way to building a good team. Find them with character + "X" and you are championship material.

You nailed the last sentence.

Plenty of young blokes get picked on skill and lack a bit of character..

Fans that dont follow flegg and the juniors as much probs dont see the guns fall through the cracks cause they lack that character..

Some guns make it on skill alone but get shown up at nrl cause cruising through on talent might get you through the juniors and cup but nrl is a different beast...

Just for us we had a few blokes that really couldve been anything.

The late masada iosefa... probs the most gifted 9 ive ever seen in the juniors.. got named in the senior kiwis team on the extended bench from memory before even debutimg in the nrl. He had it all but just lacked charecter and attitude.
But he got picked up and taken a chance on because he was a freak..

Joel romelo was another same as above who has been in the media recently.

William beale...

Vapiuana tai kilifi....

As i memtioned in another post cartwrights attitude to defence was abysmal.. jennings wasnt much better in the juniors.

Of course the majority of kids need to show resolve and charecter...

But its not the sole reason for getting picked up and plenty of kids with star quality get picked just on that..

People only watch nrl and think man we have such good kids... plenty drop out every year at matts, ball, flegg level who are very good..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Always a good laugh reading ur posts mate.

Once again added nothing... just your "im right, you have no idea" with nothingto back it up. It’s becoming a bit of a reoccurring theme on here.

I’ve said my piece on this subject. The first question on every recruiters lips is
“Can they defend”.
I know this, because I’ve spoken to many over the last few years, from a huge range of clubs.
That’s all I was saying. I even pointed out that it’s definitely not all they look at, but it’s definitely the most important thing, because it demonstrates a players ability to read the game in both defence and attack.

You called bullshit on that and then went on huge long winded rant which was pointless. Like you had an idea.

You get so caught up on your own crap that you forget what was even being discussed.