What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Colk

First Grade
With this attitude mate we might as well give up. Are we an Australian game or not? Whether you acknowledge it or not the Swans are a part of Sydney and loved. The Storm are in the same boat in Melbourne but about 5 years behind. I was at the sharks south’s final and during the half time break all eyes in the bar I was in were on the swans v somebody game final minute and they got a massive cheer when they won. As they gain traction in Sydney, and they are, we need to reciprocate. Whatever you make of the swans and no matter how much you may wish to diminish their inroads in Sydney, it’s real. I’ve travelled to the place for decades and I see the difference. You notice it more when you are a casual visitor. It’s very similar with the storm in Melbourne.
These aren’t bad things but if your response is simply to fight within your borders I can assure you history is not on your side.
As Confucius said ‘know your enemy’. You will never beat him otherwise.

Very good response.

Brian potter

Bench
It's time that the NRL, fans and certain Sydney clubs face reality and bite the bullet by demerging the west tigers.

The tigers half need to relocate to brisbane and link up with the brisbane(easts) tigers and that the wests half become the western magpies and base themselves in Campbelltown with the view of building a new stadium in Liverpool.

I think they have gained a fair bit of traction in Sydney. If we’re being honest, they are a very recognisable brand in Sydney, same as the Storm are in Melbourne.

The point is that you can’t grow if you stay in the same place. It’s self limiting
They're the largest club in NSW.

It's time that the NRL, fans and certain Sydney clubs face reality and bite the bullet by demerging the west tigers.

The tigers half need to relocate to brisbane and link up with the brisbane(easts) tigers and that the wests half become the western magpies and base themselves in Campbelltown with the view of building a new stadium in Liverpool.

I don't know if southwest Sydney can support two clubs.

Brisbane Tigers, owned 100% by Eastern Suburbs Tigers and based out of Coorparoo would be a more variable entity. It would generate more money from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. It would play all of its home games at Lang Park.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
What metric are you classing them as a success? What metric do you expect team 18 to excel in?

I believe another poster answered this question (a lot more eloquently then I probably will) but if the first question is about the Storm then obviously the first measure of their success is the fact that they have grown interest in the sport.

Now, I know that the counterpoint is well they haven’t produced anybody (although define ‘produce’ in that sense considering that they have actually scouted these players before any other club did) but the point of the competition is viewers (increasing viewership) and money (adding to the monetary value of the competition) Considering they are well supported and based in a market that nobody said would ever be able to support a team of nobody would ever support them, I would say that is a remarkable success. For me the success of the Storm and the Swans and Lions in fumbleball should encourage supporters to say that we should have a team definitely in Perth and probably even in Adelaide (although that is down the line). It helps the game generate more money and recognition.

In terms of the next side we should be aiming to find the biggest reasonable untapped market that will grow the game. That’s probably why I think Perth should be it. I am also in favour of another Kiwi side and if they choose that I am still happy but essentially it needs to be somewhere where there is no presence which has corporate potential.

Pneuma

First Grade

Maybe you could demerge to Moscow?

Canard

Immortal

This is a highly complex way to deliver the brand Tigers to Brisbane. Other then that it delivers nothing to QLDers

Balmain, in particular, were hated in Brisbane and QLD.

Like real venom for them, I've been at Lang Park were "Benny's a Wanker" just rang out constantly during their games, and some even more non-PC accusations were common.

Why not just get the existing JV to focus on Campbelltown and the west.

Pneuma

First Grade
I believe another poster answered this question (a lot more eloquently then I probably will) but if the first question is about the Storm then obviously the first measure of their success is the fact that they have grown interest in the sport.

Now, I know that the counterpoint is well they haven’t produced anybody (although define ‘produce’ in that sense considering that they have actually scouted these players before any other club did) but the point of the competition is viewers (increasing viewership) and money (adding to the monetary value of the competition) Considering they are well supported and based in a market that nobody said would ever be able to support a team of nobody would ever support them, I would say that is a remarkable success. For me the success of the Storm and the Swans and Lions in fumbleball should encourage supporters to say that we should have a team definitely in Perth and probably even in Adelaide (although that is down the line). It helps the game generate more money and recognition.

In terms of the next side we should be aiming to find the biggest reasonable untapped market that will grow the game. That’s probably why I think Perth should be it. I am also in favour of another Kiwi side and if they choose that I am still happy but essentially it needs to be somewhere where there is no presence which has corporate potential.
100%. Look to the future, respect the past but bloody get on with it!

Colk

First Grade
This is a highly complex way to deliver the brand Tigers to Brisbane. Other then that it delivers nothing to QLDers

Like real venom for them, I've been at Lang Park were "Benny's a Wanker" just rang out constantly during their games, and some even more non-PC accusations were common.

Really that is interesting. Would there be any well liked Sydney teams up there? Probably thinking Saints or Souths

Pneuma

First Grade

Because …. Potato

Brian potter

Bench

Times change and new generations look forward and not backwards.

As for queenslanders getting nothing they would get a NRL club sporting the name and colours of a historical and traditional brisbane team.

Canard

Immortal
Times change and new generations look forward and not backwards.

As for queenslanders getting nothing they would get a NRL club sporting the name and colours of a historical and traditional brisbane team.

We would rather do it our way then rely on a link to a hated Sydney rival.

Regardless, for mine the Dolphins need 7 to 10 years of clean air before you even think about another Brisbane team, and for mine I don't see another one coming along for 20 years

Iamback

Coach

I think we all agree that the next side should be a new market - Just where is the question

Say Perth is in, what % of players do you realistically think would consider a move?

Cowboys, Canberra, Knights, Warriors and GC all struggle to recruit but have the fallback of having Juniors and a player development structure to in theory get them out any holes.

Dolphins have basically had a crack at anyone on the market - even local Queenslanders.
Yet have come up short.

The have mainly discards who have history with Bennett in most cases are Queenslanders and are returning home.

The big positive for them is their great lower grades setup, It will allow the likes of Katoa and other kids the chance to develop properly.

Something Perth lacks, If they can't attract players or have a decent 2nd tier setup. Then they will struggle in those areas when stacked up against the other locations

Colk

First Grade
I think we all agree that the next side should be a new market - Just where is the question

Say Perth is in, what % of players do you realistically think would consider a move?

Cowboys, Canberra, Knights, Warriors and GC all struggle to recruit but have the fallback of having Juniors and a player development structure to in theory get them out any holes.

Dolphins have basically had a crack at anyone on the market - even local Queenslanders.
Yet have come up short.

The have mainly discards who have history with Bennett in most cases are Queenslanders and are returning home.

The big positive for them is their great lower grades setup, It will allow the likes of Katoa and other kids the chance to develop properly.

Something Perth lacks, If they can't attract players or have a decent 2nd tier setup. Then they will struggle in those areas when stacked up against the other locations

I see your point because as we have seen with the Dolphins every new team is going to struggle to attract big names (unless you change the rules), nevertheless what you are arguing has less relevance to the region as opposed to how well the prospective club is run.

You could have the biggest junior nursery in the world but if you don’t have the money or good scouting then it doesn’t matter. So recruiting is just as important as anything and whilst Perth may struggle, I don’t think they would struggle any more than a second Kiwi side would and definitely less than a PNG side would. Also, I believe any new side is going to create more opportunities and with new opportunities, there are undiscovered or rejected players who will prosper. Like for instance, you or I are judging the Dolphins and any other side only by what we know but the game always throws up new players who come out of nowhere

It’s only my opinion but in essence you go for the bigger commercial market with the biggest potential,

Wb1234

Referee
I think they have gained a fair bit of traction in Sydney. If we’re being honest, they are a very recognisable brand in Sydney, same as the Storm are in Melbourne.

The point is that you can’t grow if you stay in the same place. It’s self limiting
Crowds are a very superficial way of looking at traction

behind those great crowds there isn’t much substance

Wb1234

Referee

I’m an ex Balmain fan

I want this to happen

Wb1234

Referee
I see your point because as we have seen with the Dolphins every new team is going to struggle to attract big names (unless you change the rules), nevertheless what you are arguing has less relevance to the region as opposed to how well the prospective club is run.

You could have the biggest junior nursery in the world but if you don’t have the money or good scouting then it doesn’t matter. So recruiting is just as important as anything and whilst Perth may struggle, I don’t think they would struggle any more than a second Kiwi side would and definitely less than a PNG side would. Also, I believe any new side is going to create more opportunities and with new opportunities, there are undiscovered or rejected players who will prosper. Like for instance, you or I are judging the Dolphins and any other side only by what we know but the game always throws up new players who come out of nowhere

It’s only my opinion but in essence you go for the bigger commercial market with the biggest potential,
Biggest commercial market that rugby league can realistically capture without spending billions

problem is afl owns two of those markets and always will and has the cash to easily repulse us

Colk

First Grade
Biggest commercial market that rugby league can realistically capture without spending billions

problem is afl owns two of those markets and always will and has the cash to easily repulse us

Which is what region? Any region that isn’t our ‘region’ you are going have to spend money

Also you don’t have to capture the market because you are never going to kill another sport. All you have to do is have a presence in a market.