What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

Colk

First Grade
I’m obviously talking ten years plus down the track when the nrl has money for such vanity projects

Hopefully they are ready at that time. Outside of the banal aspects of sport, I just hope that their society and economy goes through a massive growth that other developing countries have gone through in recent history

Iamback

Coach
I see your point because as we have seen with the Dolphins every new team is going to struggle to attract big names (unless you change the rules), nevertheless what you are arguing has less relevance to the region as opposed to how well the prospective club is run.

You could have the biggest junior nursery in the world but if you don’t have the money or good scouting then it doesn’t matter. So recruiting is just as important as anything and whilst Perth may struggle, I don’t think they would struggle any more than a second Kiwi side would and definitely less than a PNG side would. Also, I believe any new side is going to create more opportunities and with new opportunities, there are undiscovered or rejected players who will prosper. Like for instance, you or I are judging the Dolphins and any other side only by what we know but the game always throws up new players who come out of nowhere

It’s only my opinion but in essence you go for the bigger commercial market with the biggest potential,

GWS is proof that going to Big commerical market without a viable plan or success doesn't work.

As for the Dolphins success this season or not, Even if they are good this year they are still very old and the coach is gone in 2 years.

Though on the flip side. They have their next coach ready to go

They made the QCup final and the final of the U20's. Had added a few Penrith players from the same age group and another NSW u19's winger.

So they are built towards sustained success which should expand corporate support in the 2nd biggest RL market in the world

Iamback

Coach
Perth will need probably 3 years advance notice of their entry and that will give them enough time

this year the dolphins have 2 million of cap space and pretty much the whole comp has spent their cap except the dogs

Say x player signs to play in Perth in 2026 because it sounds good.

He could meet someone and get married and she doesn't want to move over there

Family could get sick and again doesn't want to move across.

So not sure a longer period solves the issue either and is why a new market with a pipeline to new players is top of my list

Wb1234

Referee
Say x player signs to play in Perth in 2026 because it sounds good.

He could meet someone and get married and she doesn't want to move over there

Family could get sick and again doesn't want to move across.

So not sure a longer period solves the issue either and is why a new market with a pipeline to new players is top of my list
It wasn’t an issue in 95

indeed they had a great roster including your former thug mr geyer

I was born and raised in Easts Tigers' territory. The part of Logan I live in has been Tigers" territory for decades. That means I've lived in Easts Tigers' territory for my entire life. If the Easts Tigers got an NRL licence and played as the Brisbane Tigers -- without any link to Balmain -- then I would adopt them as my second team and attend their matches.

Nope

broncos started super league war to kill of the second brisbane side when they came in

when peace was made it was a condition the crushers were killed off

the broncos then put in a clause that no new side could be started in Brisbane for 17 years

when vlandys wanted to add a team he went and got Murdoch approval first

they still own a majority of the broncos shares
Do you have any evidence to support these claims?

When the Broncos were accepted into the NSWRL they were made to pay $500k, and in exchange they gained the right to be the sole NSWRL club in south-east Queensland. A week later the NSWRL double-crossed them by bringing in the Gold Coast Tweed Giants, based in NSW. The club eventually relocated to the Gold Coast in 1996 after rebranding as the Gold Coast Chargers.

South Queensland Crushers were accepted by the NSWRL in 1993 and played their first season in 1995.

Gold Coast Titans were introduced in 2007.

The Brisbane Bombers bid was around in 2011 and was run by ex-Broncos businessmen.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I see your point because as we have seen with the Dolphins every new team is going to struggle to attract big names (unless you change the rules), nevertheless what you are arguing has less relevance to the region as opposed to how well the prospective club is run.

You could have the biggest junior nursery in the world but if you don’t have the money or good scouting then it doesn’t matter. So recruiting is just as important as anything and whilst Perth may struggle, I don’t think they would struggle any more than a second Kiwi side would and definitely less than a PNG side would. Also, I believe any new side is going to create more opportunities and with new opportunities, there are undiscovered or rejected players who will prosper. Like for instance, you or I are judging the Dolphins and any other side only by what we know but the game always throws up new players who come out of nowhere

It’s only my opinion but in essence you go for the bigger commercial market with the biggest potential,

Yep, None of this is a reason not to expand.

These are all things that regional teams have had to deal with as well as the Storm.

Iamback

Coach
Yep, None of this is a reason not to expand.

These are all things that regional teams have had to deal with as well as the Storm.

Who has said not to expand? The discussion is where is best

How do the regional teams get around it?
Very hard to bring in locals if there are none. This is why I want a National 2nd tier to open up QLD and NSW Cups to new areas

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
You have to sell the club to the player.

Not every player thinks living in an apartment next to Bondi is the ultimate life goal.

Melbourne, in particular, has had good traction in getting players who want to live out of the limelight.

Perth can offer this also.

Melbourne benefitted from Hunter, Perth and Crusher folding initially - So were able to hit the ground running.
Behind that their location helped then use QLD system more that lost Crushers.

Players are able to fly home to see family on days off, Partners again are the same it is harder and more costly from Perth.

These are the reason that GC aside the other regional sides have a higher percentage of locals. Very few sports allows a kid living in Townsville, Wollongong etc the chance to live locally and play professional sport.

Expansion is important the sport is too reliant on NSW/QLD to produce players, So getting new blood in needs to be part of any expansion. Hence why I would be against a Storm style team that doesn't produce locals

Wb1234

Referee
You have to sell the club to the player.

Not every player thinks living in an apartment next to Bondi is the ultimate life goal.

Melbourne, in particular, has had good traction in getting players who want to live out of the limelight.

Perth can offer this also.
Any ideas for Canberra or Newcastle

Canard

Immortal
Melbourne benefitted from Hunter, Perth and Crusher folding initially - So were able to hit the ground running.
Behind that their location helped then use QLD system more that lost Crushers.

Players are able to fly home to see family on days off, Partners again are the same it is harder and more costly from Perth.

These are the reason that GC aside the other regional sides have a higher percentage of locals. Very few sports allows a kid living in Townsville, Wollongong etc the chance to live locally and play professional sport.

Expansion is important the sport is too reliant on NSW/QLD to produce players, So getting new blood in needs to be part of any expansion. Hence why I would be against a Storm style team that doesn't produce locals

That's professional sports though.

The concept of local juniors is an antiquated notion that seems to have stuck around in RL, particularly in Sydney, but is really something from the past.

Ideally the NRL would run and fund juniors and the pool would be available to all.

Wb1234

Referee
That's professional sports though.

The concept of local juniors is an antiquated notion that seems to have stuck around in RL, particularly in Sydney, but is really something from the past.

Ideally the NRL would run and fund juniors and the pool would be available to all.
No that’s afl