What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done refs!!! (after game one)

Vee

First Grade
I still don’t know how that penalty try was awarded when you read the rules on penalty try’s

BC38-BA24-F663-431-D-95-B6-DD9-FBCD2-E35-D.png
The refs should use the words of the rule when explaining decisions. "In my opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play etc"

Refs paraphrasing the rules is half the problem because it's not the rule and whatever the VR and on-field ref said about the Jennings try just sounded like they were making it up as they go along

Regardless, I don't believe a try WOULD have been scored but for the unfair play. It May have been scored, but WOULD HAVE? Not imo, not even close to that standard.

Lebbo73

Bench
this!

those shots at the legs were criminal.

Honestly matt lodge has lost a screw, every broncos game he gives away a penalty for something completely unnecessary.
Agreed, but stop trying to turn the game into that pansy game called rugby union.

Lebbo73

Bench
Not getting carried away.Noting the games I have seen had less penalties ,more flow ,more in game time. than last year.And the bunker gets it over quickly compared to 2018 so far.
I am aware things could change over the next few weeks, but I can only comment on what I've seen so far.
Tell me about ref errors/consistencies Knights v Sharks.Lee should have got time in the bin as he caused a penalty try.Then a short time later he intercepts to score.
If we get back to the 2018 debacle,I'll be the first to vent my spleen.
I don’t understand what you want? Either it’s a penalty try or no try and Lee is sin binned. It can’t be both.

TheFrog

Coach
Regardless, I don't believe a try WOULD have been scored but for the unfair play. It May have been scored, but WOULD HAVE? Not imo, not even close to that standard.
Agree with you, but also not convinced Dugan lost the ball.

I don’t understand what you want? Either it’s a penalty try or no try and Lee is sin binned. It can’t be both.

I know this is the current practice (I don't believe it is in the rules anywhere) but if a defender illegally attempts to prevent a try being scored and it is scored nonetheless, I don't see why the bin shouldn't still be used. Cricketers get suspended for 12 months for cheating, after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

taipan

Referee

Did you see my earlier response.I admitted I got it wrong.
He should have been sin binned full stop.

Lebbo73

Bench
Did you see my earlier response.I admitted I got it wrong.
He should have been sin binned full stop.
I know what you said but it can only be one or the other. Penalty try or if not a penalty try it is a sin bin. It can’t be both.

Lebbo73

Bench
Agree with you, but also not convinced Dugan lost the ball.

I know this is the current practice (I don't believe it is in the rules anywhere) but if a defender illegally attempts to prevent a try being scored and it is scored nonetheless, I don't see why the bin shouldn't still be used. Cricketers get suspended for 12 months for cheating, after all.
I agree with you. The rules don’t.

taipan

Referee
I know what you said but it can only be one or the other. Penalty try or if not a penalty try it is a sin bin. It can’t be both.

Mate I admitted I got it wrong, admitted it should be a bin job.Can't do anymore.

beave

Coach
i didn’t think it could happen, but I feel even more stupider reading the last few posts in this thread.....

taipan

Referee
It’s obvious you don’t understand the rules.
YOU CAN’T GET SINBINNED FOR A PROFESSIONAL FOUL IF A TRY IS AWARDED

Please mate shouting doesn't;t make it more imptessive.My view when I admitted I got it WRONG( and even as a Shark's supporter) and I should have spelt it out ,the try should not have been awarded, as there was no guarantee the try would have been scored.Hence the sin bin.

IOW the Knights would have played with one less for the period.and in no position then for Lee to score a later intercept.

I understand you can't have your cake and eat it FFS.He stayed on the field I understand why.

Last edited:

Lebbo73

Bench
Could you post a link to where it says that in the Laws of Rugby League.
How many times has the NRL come out and said if a professional foul doesn’t stop the other side from scoring a try on that play, the offending player won’t be sin binned?
Answer: more times than you have got your end in.

Lebbo73

Bench
Please mate shouting doesn't;t make it more imptessive.My view when I admitted I got it WRONG( and even as a Shark's supporter) and I should have spelt it out ,the try should not have been awarded, as there was no guarantee the try would have been scored.Hence the sin bin.

IOW the Knights would have played with one less for the period.and in no position then for Lee to score a later intercept.

I understand you can't have your cake and eat it FFS.He stayed on the field I understand why.
Btw, it was a penalty try.
Define irony. Complaining about a penalty try being awarded when a player commits a professional foul to stop a try being scored in the first place.

taipan

Referee
Btw, it was a penalty try.
Define irony. Complaining about a penalty try being awarded when a player commits a professional foul to stop a try being scored in the first place.

Seriously get over it Mr Badger.Take a chill pill.

TheFrog

Coach
How many times has the NRL come out and said if a professional foul doesn’t stop the other side from scoring a try on that play, the offending player won’t be sin binned?
Answer: more times than you have got your end in.
In other words, its not in the rules, it is just a rule made on the fly.

bileduct

Coach
I don't get this "must be guaranteed to score a try" business. Nobody is guaranteed to score a try at any time. Anything could happen, including tripping over one's own feet at the last moment, dropping the ball or fumbling the put down.

A player being professionally fouled at a moment where they are in a try scoring position should be the standard for penalty tries being awarded, and that is how I believe the rule is currently written.