What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done refs!!! (after game one)

Vee

First Grade
I don't get this "must be guaranteed to score a try" business. Nobody is guaranteed to score a try at any time. Anything could happen, including tripping over one's own feet at the last moment, dropping the ball or fumbling the put down.

A player being professionally fouled at a moment where they are in a try scoring position should be the standard for penalty tries being awarded, and that is how I believe the rule is currently written.
So I'm guessing you didn't read the rule posted above .

I don't get this "must be guaranteed to score a try" business. Nobody is guaranteed to score a try at any time. Anything could happen, including tripping over one's own feet at the last moment, dropping the ball or fumbling the put down.

A player being professionally fouled at a moment where they are in a try scoring position should be the standard for penalty tries being awarded, and that is how I believe the rule is currently written.

Nowhere in the rules of the game does it say "must be guaranteed to score a try". The rule actually says -

"the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team."

It is solely the referee's opinion whether a try would have been scored but for the act of unfair play. If he/she felt it would have been scored, its a penalty try. If it isn't, it would most likely be judged a professional foul and the player would be off to the sin bin.

bileduct

Coach
Nowhere in the rules of the game does it say "must be guaranteed to score a try". The rule actually says -

"the Referee may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team."

It is solely the referee's opinion whether a try would have been scored but for the act of unfair play. If he/she felt it would have been scored, its a penalty try. If it isn't, it would most likely be judged a professional foul and the player would be off to the sin bin.
Yeah, I am fully aware of what the rule is and how it is written.

That hasn't stopped multiple television commentators and people in this forum claiming that somebody must be "guaranteed" to score a try before a penalty try can be awarded. I've seen excuses such as the ball bouncing in the other direction, and even Dugan fumbling the put down as reasons why a penalty try shouldn't have been given.

Read the second paragraph of my original comment.

TheDMC

Bench
Yeah, I am fully aware of what the rule is and how it is written.

That hasn't stopped multiple television commentators and people in this forum claiming that somebody must be "guaranteed" to score a try before a penalty try can be awarded. I've seen excuses such as the ball bouncing in the other direction, and even Dugan fumbling the put down as reasons why a penalty try shouldn't have been given.

Read the second paragraph of my original comment.

Yep, 'guaranteed' or '100% sure' - says commentators, coaches in press conferences, and many people in this forum.

kit66

Bench
Panthers getting away with murder in the ruck today.

So were the Roosters against Manly, although Manly weren't much better. It's not just the wrestle but deliberately just laying there, looking at the ref even or second grabs. It's happening in most games and will only get worse because they know they'll get away with it.
This time last year the refs were blowing a hundred penalties a game because " that's what the fans want" and this year they're just letting hold downs and forward passes go to speed up the game.
They're incapable of getting the balance right and seem only interested in keeping the media / commentators ( particularly ch9 ) happy.

Saxon

Bench
Refs are just taking the piss now.
Lying on, flopping in late and pulling players back down - all are being ignored.

some11

Referee
Unfortunately it's true, they pendulum has swung too far back the other way.

Still, coaches got the memo - if they didn't train for the wrestle then be prepared to lose games. Any coach worth their salt will hold down longer in the opening sets to make it seem as if that is the standard for the game.

Vee

First Grade
I’ve had a thousand beers but I saw a couple of great decisions in the main game. That forward pass call was as good as I’ve seen for several years.

The refs have so much more confidence than they used to. Back them up!

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think they have been pretty good. Sadly, the decision to keep the game flowing and therefore penalty counts low will gift Melb and the Roosters.

Ffs even my bunch of mongs the Knights lay all across the ruck tonight and got away with plenty. Need to blow a few more of those or it will become farcical.

Latest posts