What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done refs!!! (after game one)

skeepe

Immortal
Ffs even my bunch of mongs the Knights lay all across the ruck tonight and got away with plenty. Need to blow a few more of those or it will become farcical.

It was awful, wasn’t it? But the ref was determined not to blow a penalty, except for a couple of random ones that were no worse than many that went unpunished.

The game wasn’t a great spectacle, and the way the refs controlled (or refused to control) the ruck had a lot to do with it.

Saxon

Bench
I think they have been pretty good. Sadly, the decision to keep the game flowing and therefore penalty counts low will gift Melb and the Roosters.

Ffs even my bunch of mongs the Knights lay all across the ruck tonight and got away with plenty. Need to blow a few more of those or it will become farcical.
Too late.

Vee

First Grade
I think they have been pretty good. Sadly, the decision to keep the game flowing and therefore penalty counts low will gift Melb and the Roosters.

Didn't see the Raiders/Knights game but have thought that in other games. Generally, I think the refs have done much better so far than they have for years, hope it continues. I'm particularly enjoying the reduced time looking at BS replays in the bunker when it's obvious to everyone but them what's happened.

no name

Coach
If they are so hellbent on ‘free flowing’ why was there a penalty for a head clash on Thursday?

Just ref by the rules and no one has anything to whinge about.
They gave up on the ‘crackdown’ too early last year.

thorson1987

Coach
If they are so hellbent on ‘free flowing’ why was there a penalty for a head clash on Thursday?

Come on mate this is the NRL. People will always find something to whinge about.

gerg

Juniors

As much as the refs change there's no changing a good old #penaltybroncos when they need it.

Saxon

Bench
Two-and-a-bit games in today and the only constant with penalties is how random they are. the refs could have picked any one of ten to call and there's no logic as to which one they actually go for.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Look at the table the wrestle is back baby.

The Titans just got Greco-Roman wrestled out.

Melbourne, Roosters, Sharks and the Sold out to Russell Souths are loving it.

We will lie on you, tangle up,wrestle and make sure our defence is set.

Suck it up, the refs just watch.

Look at the table the wrestle is back baby.

The Titans just got Greco-Roman wrestled out.

Melbourne, Roosters, Sharks and the Sold out to Russell Souths are loving it.

We will lie on you, tangle up,wrestle and make sure our defence is set.

Suck it up, the refs just watch.

Cam Smith to win the WWE title from Brock Lesnar within 12 months of retiring from the NRL

Wild Wilbur

Juniors
Hi all,

I’m pretty sure we’ve all had enough of terrible decisions deciding games. When & who will stop the rot? I’m not saying one bit that games are rigged, I’m saying these officials have no idea.
None of these so called referees/officials have any common f**king sense.
We’re relying on common sense, there’s some but not much.

Saxon

Bench
Hi all,

I’m pretty sure we’ve all had enough of terrible decisions deciding games. When & who will stop the rot? I’m not saying one bit that games are rigged, I’m saying these officials have no idea.
None of these so called referees/officials have any common f**king sense.
We’re relying on common sense, there’s some but not much.
I don't think they have no idea, I think they are just doing what they are told.

At the start of last year the NRL made a serious attempt to clean up the game and enforce the rules. After 7 or 8 weeks they kowtowed to their lords and masters Channel Nein (led by Gould and Johns) who demanded a "free flowing" game and said all the penalties were spoiling it.
This year the NRL's instruction to the refs is for "free flowing" football and minimal penalties.
As a result we are seeing some of the most undisciplined football ever - with more and more-blatant holding down and ruck interference than ever before. I don't think I've seen a single play this year with a team attacking the line without at least a couple of defenders not back. And I hate the way it has become de rigueur for players flopping in late.
Refs are afraid to blow penalties and terrified of sin-binning players for any reason.

The NRL is one hundred percent to blame - they were on the way to fixing the problems last year and then capitulated under media pressure and had the gall to publicly reprimand the refs for being "over-zealous".

So to answer your question when and who will stop the rot? Never and no-one. The media - particularly Channel Nein - have got what they want. They win, and we the spectators lose.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Anybody else noticed the long 10m the referees seem to be marking?

Appears to me like they want to mark 12, so if a player is slightly in front of them they don’t have to give an offside penalty

kbw

Bench
The two rerferees from the Melb/cowboys game must be stood down. Which ever told the trainer the reason for not stopping the game should also be fined.
What they said was the rule is not the rule and nothing more than a lame excuse

Frailty

First Grade
Anybody else noticed the long 10m the referees seem to be marking?

Appears to me like they want to mark 12, so if a player is slightly in front of them they don’t have to give an offside penalty

So there is a couple of reasons for this (and it has been happening for a number of years).

To being with, the 10m is to be marked from the 'ruck' which is the space between the tackled player and the first marker. That's why it seems further from the play the ball by a metre.

In addition to this, the referees are accepting that the tackled players are stepping further forward to play the ball, and are just adjusting for this rather than halting play to put them back a metre.

Quicksilver

Bench
Did anyone notice Cronk's kick for touch after the Sharks kicked it dead off the kick off?

Managed to do a fair bit of forward creep.

Sharks deserved it for doing such dumb shit in succession though.

Vee

First Grade
Did anyone notice Cronk's kick for touch after the Sharks kicked it dead off the kick off?

Managed to do a fair bit of forward creep.

Sharks deserved it for doing such dumb shit in succession though.
Most kickers pinch at least a couple of metres. Ref should stand in line and if the non-kicking foot goes over, change of possession on the spot.

beave

Coach
The two rerferees from the Melb/cowboys game must be stood down. Which ever told the trainer the reason for not stopping the game should also be fined.
What they said was the rule is not the rule and nothing more than a lame excuse

they got dropped this arvo. Belinda Sleeman should find herself dropped as well. IMO she is out of her depth if the NRL think she is going to make it as an onfield ref. She’s had some shocking games in the QRL.

Reactions: kbw

AJB1102

First Grade
they got dropped this arvo. Belinda Sleeman should find herself dropped as well. IMO she is out of her depth if the NRL think she is going to make it as an onfield ref. She’s had some shocking games in the QRL.

I'm glad (and a little surprised) NRL haven't just kneejerk promoted a female ref for the positive PR, especially after the horror offseason.