What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wentworthville Magpies NSW State cup champions 08 official thread.

Stagger eel

Staff member
1.Sat 15 March 3.30pm v Manly At Brookvale Oval

2.Sun 23 March 2.30pm v Auckland At Ringrose Oval

3.Sat 29 March 2.00pm v Bulldogs At Crest Stadium

4.Sat 5 April 4.30pm v Cronulla At Toyota Park

5.Sun 13 April 3.00pm v Bears At Ringrose Park

6.Sat 19 April 6.00pm v Windsor At Windsor Sports Complex

7.Sat 26 April 3.00pm v CC Storm At Ringrose Park (Split Round)

8.Sun 11May 3.00pm v Balmain At Ringrose Park

9.Sat 24 May 3.00pm v Wests Campbelltown Stadium (Split Round)

10. Sun 1 June 3.00pm v Jets At Ringrose Park

MID SEASON WEEK OFF

11.Sat 14 June 12.45pm v Auckland At Mount Smart (No.2)

12.Sun 22 June 3.00pm v Manly At Ringrose park

13. 27-30 June v Newcastle
4-7 July Split Round

14. Sun 13 July 3.00pm v Windsor At Ringrose Park

15. Sun 20 July 3.00pm v Wests At Ringrose Park

16. 25-27 July v Bears TBA

17.1-4 Aug v CC Storm TBA

18. Sun 10 Aug 3.00pm v Newcastle At Ringrose Park

19. Sat 16 Aug 3.00pm v Jets At Henson Park

20. Sun 24 Aug 3.00pm v Cronulla At Ringrose Park

21.29 Aug- 1 Sept v Balmain TBA

22. Sun 7 Sept 3.00pm v Bulldogs At Ringrose

fish eel

Immortal
so how is the standard of footy being played in this guys? How does it stack up against Premier League and NYC?

Just trying to draw a line to see how Tim Smith is positioned, and how much you can read into a good performance from him for wenty....is it the type of comp you'd expect a competent first grade half to shine in?

fish eel said:
so how is the standard of footy being played in this guys? How does it stack up against Premier League and NYC?

We can only assume right now that it is the same standard as the Premier League was last year - it is, after all, the same competition - albeit with the Toyota Cup taking some of the cream off the top (?).

When we all get to see a couple of games of the State Cup we'll know if it's better or worse than last year.

Just trying to draw a line to see how Tim Smith is positioned, and how much you can read into a good performance from him for wenty....is it the type of comp you'd expect a competent first grade half to shine in?

You'd expect a play-maker like Tim Smith to be utterly outstanding - it is a comp with a lot of guys who regularly play first grade so it's a good test. According to the Sun Herald he directed the game in the first half and Wenty got run down when he went off.

Nikki

Coach
I dont know if this is gunna make any sense but I think the standard it a lil bit more grittier than we are used to. Just going by trials where we played teams like Windsor and Chester Hill which dont come from professional clubs like Parra it was like watching real park footy. The standard hasnt actually dropped as such, just a lil rougher around the edges.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nikki said:
I dont know if this is gunna make any sense but I think the standard it a lil bit more grittier than we are used to. Just going by trials where we played teams like Windsor and Chester Hill which dont come from professional clubs like Parra it was like watching real park footy. The standard hasnt actually dropped as such, just a lil rougher around the edges.

just to correct you Nix, Winsor is effectiviely the Penrith reserve grade side and when the boys played Chester Hill didn't they play the Jets while the JB cup side played Chester Hill???

George 07

Juniors
Went out to the game on the weekend and thought we did pretty well. For 60 mins we were all over them. Think some of the boys are struggling with the reduced interchange, especially forwards like lattimore. Hopefully we can keep smith in the side for the week - should pick up another one or two this week as well, with hayne, weller and junior back in top grade.

eelaholic

First Grade
here's a few pics from the wenty vs vulcans game

Wenty016.jpg

Wenty017.jpg

Wenty033.jpg

eelaholic

First Grade
NYC is more skillful and fast

Whereas NSW Cup is still more like park footy in that its a little tougher/harder and not as interupted by the refs call in terms of high hits (infringements etc)

Kinda hard to describe

Nikki

Coach
Its not as "showy" if that makes sense. No TV camera's to play up to. lol.

Brod had a gun game. I keep saying how he looks and acts like one of the senior players out there. He seems to have up'd his fitness too playing 80 minutes for both games so far. Can already see him cleaning up at the end of year awards again this year. He nearly scored another 2 tries after that one, but both were deemed forward passes from Timmy.

Nikki

Coach
I think we worked out it was Lahood Brothers Fruit and Veg. But I am pretty sure they are also sponsored by Chippies Food Distributors.

Latest posts