What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were is the AMNRL going?

USA_Falcon

Juniors
The AMNRL just got done its 5th season it 2003. In its first three seasons it saw the Glen Mills Bulls being the most dominate team, and winning three consecutive championships. In its forth year we saw a new champion in the New York Knights. When in its fifth year it saw a team, made up of mostly foreign players.

The Bulls showed this past season how old of a team they are. They had several players that were in their mid to late 30’s, most of them starters. Now there are talks that some of these players will be retiring. Will Tony Coletti and Carl Barr be able to come back from ACL tears? Will Dave Nui retire and some other retire? These are all questions that the Bulls organization has to ask.

As for the Vikings what does it say for the league that they will merge with the Mantarays? This does not look good for the AMNRL. Did the move from Wilmington to New Jersey help or hurt the Vikings. All questions that need to be asked

As for the Mantarays. They are the only team I see that are using young American players and helping developing the league. They will probably be made up of a team that is mostly under 28 years of age. I think the Mantarays are the future of the AMNRL

The Philadelphia Fight I think has been the biggest disappointment. Jeff Preaston and Joe Keller are just getting to old. When will the AMNRL management help the Fight’s development?

New York, Conn, and D.C are the three teams were RL will thrive. Each team will start to get more foreign players that will be able to teach the American players the game. Each one of these teams will get better each year.

The Sharks are getting better, but are not bring in the young talent. Expect them to be a competitive team for the next 3-5 years. However, I can see them were the Bulls are right now.

So just a few things to think about. Were is the AMNRL going?

The Falcon

roopy

Referee
The standard of play has to improve, which means the older guys have to go.
Having said that, the game can't afford to throw away all that experience, especially in a country where experience is as rare as hens teeth and as valuable as diamonds.

Once again, I have to say that the next logical step in America is the setting up of a reserve grade comp, even if maybe only four teams can find the players.

There are two main reasons why this is needed;
One - so older and more experienced players can pass on their experience to new players.

Two - because the firstgrade comp is getting to be of a standard where there is no place on the field for guys who have not played before, so there is currently no place for all the new converts to the code that will be needed for the game to grow to learn the game.

David Niu should captain the Bulls reserve grade side this year, and hopefully the side will get games against the Knights, Wildcats and Sharks at least.

chiko roll

Juniors
Falcon,
you've posted a couple of times that Media are the only team bring through the youth. What about the new young guys at the Knights?
There were 4 that picked up awards at the Knights prize giving 2 weeks ago, all americans aged between 19 and 22. There are 6 or 7 americans that are of that age , having their 1st season of footy, 4 of them hadn't even played union, as well as a couple of older americans having their 1st year of footy (of any kind) that still have some good years ahead of them.
The knights from what I've seen are right up there and on top of the recruitment , or more so the development of league in the states.
Yeah , they have some imports , but they also have alot of local talent brewing.
Lets hope the other teams follow the Knights and Mantarays example!

roopy

Referee
Guys,
I always got the impression in the past that it is the Sharks who are training up young Americans with a really well qualified coach as their main Aussie influence.
What is happening at the Sharks?

shaggy

Juniors
i was wonderin how strong the comp is over there, i am prob goin 2 the states begining of 05 2 play & coach, or maybe just goin 2 the high schools tryin 2 promote the game using a edited video of the best of the aussie game workin 4 the amnrl or doin somethin else 4 them

roopy

Referee
cheeseman_james said:
i was wonderin how strong the comp is over there, i am prob goin 2 the states begining of 05 2 play & coach, or maybe just goin 2 the high schools tryin 2 promote the game using a edited video of the best of the aussie game workin 4 the amnrl or doin somethin else 4 them
James,
Maybe some of the American fans could answer better, but I think you will find that the standard is probably just under Jim Beam cup standard, but on a fairly steep improvement curve.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
USA_Falcon said:
The AMNRL just got done its 5th season it 2003. In its first three seasons it saw the Glen Mills Bulls being the most dominate team, and winning three consecutive championships. In its forth year we saw a new champion in the New York Knights. When in its fifth year it saw a team, made up of mostly foreign players.

The Bulls showed this past season how old of a team they are. They had several players that were in their mid to late 30’s, most of them starters. Now there are talks that some of these players will be retiring. Will Tony Coletti and Carl Barr be able to come back from ACL tears? Will Dave Nui retire and some other retire? These are all questions that the Bulls organization has to ask.

As for the Vikings what does it say for the league that they will merge with the Mantarays? This does not look good for the AMNRL. Did the move from Wilmington to New Jersey help or hurt the Vikings. All questions that need to be asked

As for the Mantarays. They are the only team I see that are using young American players and helping developing the league. They will probably be made up of a team that is mostly under 28 years of age. I think the Mantarays are the future of the AMNRL

The Philadelphia Fight I think has been the biggest disappointment. Jeff Preaston and Joe Keller are just getting to old. When will the AMNRL management help the Fight’s development?

New York, Conn, and D.C are the three teams were RL will thrive. Each team will start to get more foreign players that will be able to teach the American players the game. Each one of these teams will get better each year.

The Sharks are getting better, but are not bring in the young talent. Expect them to be a competitive team for the next 3-5 years. However, I can see them were the Bulls are right now.

So just a few things to think about. Were is the AMNRL going?

The Falcon

I would be very keen to know Falcon dude, are there any grass roots RL players that are home grown or are they mostly old players that have been sent to England and then pentioned off in America.

USA_Falcon

Juniors
Twizzle;

What I meant was that the AMNRL has several players that are getting to old, and are holding up younger players. These younger players are then not getting the playing experience, are not learning the game the best they can, and are being discouraged. The average age for the AMNRL now I believe is about 33-38. The oldest player playing on the Sharks who I believe is in his mid to late 40’s. However, the age numbers are a little too old for my likening.

Yes there has been people that have came from other countries and play in the AMNRL. Most of these guys are ex-professional or semi-professional players. There are also a handful who came over to better their lives, and have played rugby league all there life.

A few of these people include:

Wildcat players - Mike Mulvihill, Danny Bull, and Lawrence Raleigh
Knights players – Adam Hamon, Christian Rahui, and Seto Kakoo
Bulls players – Dave Niu, Marcus Vassilakopoulos, and Ben Shaw

These are just some of the guys from other countries that now play in the AMNRL, and there are other on other teams. They include the countries of Australia, Scotland, England, New Zealand, and Japan. Sorry, I forget what country Rahui is from.

There are also players that could have went and played pro in Australia. One of these few players was Jeff Preston. However, Jeff opted to stay in America.

Finally, there are several players playing in the league now that have played in the league since it started. I believe it is time for these players to step aside, and let younger players step in. The older players should shift their effort to expansion, and coaching. However, saying all of this not every team can do that, and some of the older players have to keep playing for the benefit of their team.

Twizzle, I hope I answered you question. If not I will try to give you a better one.

Falcon

joshreading

Staff member
In your opinion where will the next teams for the east come from Falcon?

I think Baltimore and Boston are potentials.

hot dog

Juniors
Falcon; comment on what you know.....or at least do some research beofre you give answers that are pulled out of thin air (bullshit).

You were dead wrong about the Knights, as Chiko pointed out. They have a serious influx of new, young players and in fact are toiling with what to do with their massive numbers for 2004.

The cats are in the same positon; in fact; we submitted the numbers to the AMNRL a few months ago; which you were not privy to, obviously.

Off the top of my head; In the 2003 Grand Final, the Cats first XIII included two 19 year olds and a 23 year old (McGeachy, Will Brazier and Young Daniel Ferris). Not to mention "Schoolboy" Mike Scholz (19) who was a stud in defense for about 50 minutes. Jeremy Kosbob (21) and Brad Troup (19) also saw time. Isadoro Albino would have also played but blew out his knee in the semifinal in a massive collision with big Rocco.

Oh, sorry, McGeachy was capped for the USA @ 22.

That's 7 real players who actually start or see time @ 22 years and under for the Cats alone.

Conclusion: AMNRL is getting younger by leaps and bounds.

USA_Falcon

Juniors
Peope need to read before posting. If you read what I wrote you would have seen when I was talking about age the only teams I mentioned were the Bulls and Fight. I never once said that NY, Conn, DC, NJ (sharks or Vikings) did not have any young players on thier team. People just like to read things real quickly, and then write something back bashing the person. Read before you comment on something.

Hotdog:

Didn't we have this problem in the other forum about people bashing each other. If I am not mistaken Dave had to say things several times about all the trash and trash talking that went on. When I emailed every team this web site I thought it would be nice for the american players to be involved.

So before you write something make sure you read it more then once. Apperently people did not do that.

Falcon

hot dog

Juniors
"As for the Mantarays. They are the only team I see that are using young American players and helping developing the league. They will probably be made up of a team that is mostly under 28 years of age. I think the Mantarays are the future of the AMNRL" - T-hawk

Pulled straight from your post above T-hawk..........

Perhaps someone needs to read abit more thoroughly.....oh, wait you wrote it.........

You're fun to play with Tomahawk!!!!

USA_Falcon

Juniors
Yes I did talk about the Mantarays, but were did I mention that no other team having any younger players.

As for the Knights Bobo and Matt are doing a great job with that organization. Look they almost be the Wildcats with Christian. I did not know of all thier young guys!!!! Now I do.

As for the Wildcats. You might have those young guys on the team. However, if the Wildcats did not have Danny Bull and Mike Mulahill then they would have never made it to the championship, let alone win it all. Without those two guys they wouldn't have beaten the Knights.

My prediction for next year is for the Wildcats and Sharks to be in the finals. However, watch for the Slayers, Mantarays, and Knights to make it interesting. Should be a very competitive league next year. I do not see one dominate team!

Falcon[/b]

hot dog

Juniors
You are a juvenile delinquent and I will not dignify your baseless rantings, Other than to say that you have absolutely no concept of code or dignity and it would not surprise me if you did sink even lower and hope to gain something by opening your mouth.

Except, one would think that as a moderator on this forum, you would be above engaging in the very type of personal attack you have promised to police.

The point is this: you said the following,
"As for the Mantarays. They are the only team I see that are using young American players and helping developing the league."

You were wrong.

When you're mother reads this post to you; have her slow it down a bit.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Hot dog:

First I hope the juvenile delinquent was not in reference to me working at Glen Mills Schools. If it was I really do not think you would want to insult the director by calling his kids or staff members delinquents. If you know anything about the school or the schools philosophy of the school -that is that all the kids are good kids that just did something bad to get placed here.

As for having my mom reading me your post slow, maybe you nead to read slow. I wrote:

As for the Mantarays. They are the only team I see that are using young American players and helping developing the league.

Last time I read that it sayed I see. This is an opion of one person. Never did it say no other team in the league did not have young deleopment on thier team.

Back to the Mantarays they are a team that has only one foreign player. All of thier younger players are all american born americans. They are kids that have never played the game before joining the Mantarays.

Tomahawk

aka Falcon

hot dog

Juniors
What does you being a delinquent have anything to do with Glen Mills????
Absolutely nothing. I think its the best place in the world.

What team are you going to now?

clives_bootlace

Juniors
ahhhhhh passion!!!!!!
thats what i like to see, everyone might see it as an argument but its good to see you blokes care......keep it up!!!!! :D :D

Tomahawk

Staff member
Hot dog:

Go Hot dog. Wish he knew what other people in the league truely felt about him. Hey I remeber a conversation with the tomahawk and hot dog last season. I think it was about a certain team that was out to break hot dogs legs. Remeber hot dog that Tomahawk said noone sould be out to hurt another player. Just shows you how many players and teams in the AMNRL like hot dog.

Hot dog, you should know who you enimies are!!!!!! Maybe you need to attach them. You have alot more enimies then you do friends. That is 120% proof also. I know that for a fact - Jack. More people hate you then they like you. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Tomahawk