What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were is the AMNRL going?

screeny

Bench
roopy said:
screeny said:
Roopy, how would you view it if NRL players and officials slagged each other off on forums? It would be highly damaging to the code's public image and make the code a laughing stock. The same goes for the US lads. They may not have the administration of the NRL but I'm willing to bet that they sure as hell try to conduct themselves as professionally as their Australian counterparts in the best interests of American RL. They wouldn't have got the kind of positive int'l image they currently have if they didn't.
Do you read the Sydney press? If you do you will know that slagging off at other players, coaches, administrators etc is not only common, but is almost the only way some guys have of communicating.

Over the past year or so we have seen that Rebecca Wilson woman start up what amounts to a RL 'gossip column' which is nothing more than a million unsubstantiated rumours strung together, and all are supplied by 'insiders' according to her (although I think many come from 'inside' her head).

Your point that many of the guys talking here have official positions is mute, because i think you will find that the guys in that boat are the ones defending what goes on in America, rather than the guys criticising.

Anyway, comparing the AMNRL with the NRL is like comparing a mouse with an elephant - the two don't and can't operate in the same way.

You have missed my point about the NRL and the AMNRL. I don't know the guys who run the AMNRL but I'm willing to bet that they try and conduct themselves and their league as professionally as the NRL. It's got nowt to do with money or size but everything to do with demeanour and public image.

roopy

Referee
screeny said:
roopy said:
screeny said:
Roopy, how would you view it if NRL players and officials slagged each other off on forums? It would be highly damaging to the code's public image and make the code a laughing stock. The same goes for the US lads. They may not have the administration of the NRL but I'm willing to bet that they sure as hell try to conduct themselves as professionally as their Australian counterparts in the best interests of American RL. They wouldn't have got the kind of positive int'l image they currently have if they didn't.
Do you read the Sydney press? If you do you will know that slagging off at other players, coaches, administrators etc is not only common, but is almost the only way some guys have of communicating.

Over the past year or so we have seen that Rebecca Wilson woman start up what amounts to a RL 'gossip column' which is nothing more than a million unsubstantiated rumours strung together, and all are supplied by 'insiders' according to her (although I think many come from 'inside' her head).

Your point that many of the guys talking here have official positions is mute, because i think you will find that the guys in that boat are the ones defending what goes on in America, rather than the guys criticising.

Anyway, comparing the AMNRL with the NRL is like comparing a mouse with an elephant - the two don't and can't operate in the same way.

You have missed my point about the NRL and the AMNRL. I don't know the guys who run the AMNRL but I'm willing to bet that they try and conduct themselves and their league as professionally as the NRL. It's got nowt to do with money or size but everything to do with demeanour and public image.
I didn't miss the point. I dismissed it as glib and unimportant.

screeny

Bench
roopy said:
screeny said:
roopy said:
screeny said:

I didn't miss the point. I dismissed it as glib and unimportant.
That was a very unpleasant and pointless comment to make.

joshreading

Staff member
Who is this C.D. Ferrainollia? The cup is named after him isn't it but I have no idea why or who he is?

roopy

Referee
joshreading said:
Who is this C.D. Ferrainollia? The cup is named after him isn't it but I have no idea why or who he is?
I believe he is the guy in charge of the Glen Mills school, which makes him the employer who lets his staff play and train for RL and also lets many of the go on Tomahawk tours.
It would be hard to run the show without him on side.

joshreading

Staff member
Oh well ... next step is allowing the students to play Rugby League. Surely there are enough that would give it a go even once to make two teams in such a large school.

Any idea of what is blocking the development of Junior Rugby League? To my knowledge the US is the only area that has recently developed a fair bit that has no juniors

Tomahawk

Staff member
C.D. Ferrainolia is the executive director of the Glen Mills Schools, and his Dave Nui’s boss. The only reason that the AMNRL is as successful as it is because of C.D. Ferrainolia. I will try to get a hold of an article about him and to tell you a little about him.

I think it was about 5-8 years Dave came to C.D. asking him if he could start up a rugby team of staff members at Glen Mills. C.D. loved the idea, and the AMNRL was started. Glen Mills and C.D. also host almost all of the foreign teams that play in the states, and most of the matches are played at Jack Pearson Stadium, that is the Bulls football/rugby stadium. Also the best facilities in the AMNRL are at Glen Mills, and C.D. lets those teams use those facilities.

So if C.D. would not let Dave do what he does, would not let Dave use the Glen Mills Schools, or all the other things C.D. does behind the scenes the AMNRL will be nowhere to were it is now. C.D. is the silent man behind the AMNRL. Without him I do not know if there would be a league.

Tomahawk

deluded pom?

Coach
joshreading said:
Oh well ... next step is allowing the students to play Rugby League. Surely there are enough that would give it a go even once to make two teams in such a large school.

Any idea of what is blocking the development of Junior Rugby League? To my knowledge the US is the only area that has recently developed a fair bit that has no juniors

I don`t know if you remember a guy called Shez who posted on here asking for people to help him get RL up and running in Florida in 2004 . Well I was talking to him yesterday and he told me while he was playing for Media he formulated a plan to take RL into the local schools . However David Niu wasn`t keen on it for some reason and declined to offer him any help . Seems Niu is a one man band and doesn`t like the thought of anyone stepping on his toes . Shez is now going to try and kickstart RL in Florida under his own steam .

joshreading

Staff member
I have heard that but I am not convinced it is any more than talk, just getting into the US permanently is an issue at times, let alone getting a heap of players, starting a fully fledged comp.

Jeffles

Bench
Good point deluded pom. I'm surprised that after being based in a school for nearly a decade we have not seen a school team emerge. The student go to the games. I heard once it was mandatory. And a bunch of teachers make up the team. Does that not scream "opportunity".

hot dog

Juniors
Go Roopy!! Great link...at the bottom is a picture of Vassy with the kids of the Academy. At first, it was hard to tell if he was a student of the Academy......

I'm with Joshreading; we've heard alot about this guy going to Florida to start a comp; like it's so easy....Just rock up and start a comp......

Just the opposite, it's alot of work, and the reception is less than warm most of the time!!

As to the juniors developement, I can tell you that several times a week I personally speak with the boys from Glenn Mills, whether its Niuy or Coach Hansbury, etc... they are always at one juniors clinic or another; seems like several nights a week!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

deluded pom?

Coach
hot dog said:
I'm with Joshreading; we've heard alot about this guy going to Florida to start a comp; like it's so easy....Just rock up and start a comp......

Just the opposite, it's alot of work, and the reception is less than warm most of the time!!

Even harder if you`re left to do the groundwork on your own . Surely it wouldn`t hurt Niu to at least give this guy some contacts and some moral support . No one said it`s easy . At least this guy is trying to do something practical with little or no help from the AMNRL but I`m sure they`ll be there to accept the accolades if this thing is in any way successful .

hot dog

Juniors
I would just suggest that I reached out to Shez on other boards and he did not strike me as be able to make it happen. I don't remember him playing here, nor does anyone else.

Its really a matter of having the resources to help everyone all the time. The AMNRL have developed somewhat of a following and a bit of recognition, but its a long, hard path up from hell and into the light.

If Shez was here and had an opportunity to contribute to footy here, then he would have made his mark and would be part of the team. He is gone and is trying to come back into another part of the country and do his own thing....

Speaks for itself......

roopy

Referee
I wish Shez the best of luck in what he wants to do, and if he manages to get it off the ground it will be great for everyone, but all this negative stuff about the AMNRL is uncalled for IMO.

The AMNRL are a body of men who are putting in great efforts to expand the game, and I don't think any of them are profiting in any financial sense, just the opposite in fact, I think many have put a lot of their own money into the game.

Shez seems to be of the opinion that he has ideas which should be taken up by the AMNRL but they have rejected his ideas. All i can say to that is that many people have ideas about how the game could or should go in America, and many people put their ideas on this message board, but the guys who decide are, and must always be, the guys who are doing the work and putting up the time and money.

The AMNRL have the runs on the board as far as I am concerned. They have done the work and are running an ever improving comp. When someone else can say that I think they will be worth listening to.

Jeffles

Bench
hot dog said:
As to the juniors developement, I can tell you that several times a week I personally speak with the boys from Glenn Mills, whether its Niuy or Coach Hansbury, etc... they are always at one juniors clinic or another; seems like several nights a week!!

Talk about hiding your light under a bushel. If this is true, then why isn't this publicised more? We all need proof.

hot dog

Juniors
You're spot on Roopy...just ask our wives about putting our own money into the game!!

Everybody's got some kind of master plan, but not everyone has the wherewithal to get up and go after it.

Truth is mate, if we were all clearing a cool million a year after taxes; this project would be a piece of cake!!

As to the proof of working with the juniors; Steve Williams handles the website and frankly has been less than spectacular at keeping the world up to date on the state of footy in America. Hopefully, we will see quite a bit more publicity in 2004. #-o

screeny

Bench
Hot Dog, or any other yank,

A question to you: does the US govt offer any assistance, financial or otherwise, with your development plans?

And if they don't has the AMNRL identified any US gov't programmes which can be targetted in future as a means for raising funds?

Is the AMNRL registered with the US ministry of sport (is there such an organisation?) as an official governing body, such as the NFL, NHL etc and if not why not?

What steps does it have to take to reach that level? What benfits would it reap and would it have to have a commissioner the same as gridiron and baseball?

Does the US govt invest in the NFL etc or only at grass roots levels?

hot dog

Juniors
screeny said:
Hot Dog, or any other yank,

A question to you: does the US govt offer any assistance, financial or otherwise, with your development plans?

And if they don't has the AMNRL identified any US gov't programmes which can be targetted in future as a means for raising funds?

Is the AMNRL registered with the US ministry of sport (is there such an organisation?) as an official governing body, such as the NFL, NHL etc and if not why not?

What steps does it have to take to reach that level? What benfits would it reap and would it have to have a commissioner the same as gridiron and baseball?

Does the US govt invest in the NFL etc or only at grass roots levels?
Screeny,
Sports in AMerica have always been a product of the private sector and if you know our politics; believe me its better that way. I know when we went to Russia there was a Ministry of Sport and its the same elsewhere.....but not here.
Of course the Gov't does fund the high schools and Universities in many ways via grants, and the schools obviously have huge sports programs; but for what we are trying to accomplish, we have to look to private funding.
We do have the benefit of non-profit tax status; in that so long as we "Foster National or International Sports Competition" and meet some other citeria, we don't have to pay taxes on our operations (for the most part)
At the youth level, there are many grants and different means of funding available, but not for "sport". If you have an org for children like a "Boys Club", You can get money for the handicapped, for the disadvantaged or even for Italian, Russian Americans, etc....and that money can go in part towards building a rugby program, so long as those Italian American kids, for example, play rugby.

Hope that sheds a little light.