What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like I said the sooner your sht house club gets its act together the sooner we get a team in Perth.

RoosTah

Juniors
Anything would be better than the Western Force...

Hahaha yeah, I love Union as well as League, but when we I first heard that name I thought they were talking about western military intervention in the middle east.

That said, it's still not the worst team name over that way - that title definitely belongs to the "glory"... just brings some awful stuff to mind lol

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I reckon a The Pirates should use these specific shades of Red and Gold...

nike-11.jpg

fsu-jersey-2.png

Wild Wild West

Juniors
So what sort of time frame would we see the Pirates enter the NRL? Would love this to get up and going as it would great to have an NRL team here in Perth! :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't be holding your breath! Review of expansion will commence end of this season. IF they decide to expand it is unlikely we will see any new teams until 2017 or 2018 at earliest.

taipan

Referee
If there is expansion,and I believe there will be,it won't be in place till 2018 .The first year of the new TV deal.Earliest 2017.
Plus the NRL needs to top up their future fund currently around $40m by adding another similar amount this year,to underpin expansion.
Although I did read somewhere ,the football codes were talking about negotiating new deals a couple of years ahead.

Think the foray into Perth this year has shown a solid demand,and also feel the NRL want to dampen the impact(by having weekly Brisbane games) of AFL in SEQ ,by introducing another NRL team around there.

You can bet by November this year we will all know the decision.

Wild Wild West

Juniors
I wouldn't be holding your breath! Review of expansion will commence end of this season. IF they decide to expand it is unlikely we will see any new teams until 2017 or 2018 at earliest.
That's a good timeframe. I'd rather they took a little longer anyway to make sure the club is set up well to succeed in the future both on and off the field.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I live in WA I,m not enamored with the Pirates,Reds is the way it should have stayed Pirates reminds me of Pittsburgh in the US,but that,s just me

I'm not sure whether it was part of the think-tank in going with the 'Pirates' brand but it is genius in the fact that it will attract kids to the brand and this is the demographic where a newish code needs to make an impact with. It takes generational change for a code to succeed and if the kids who are fascinated with the brand stick with the code because they were attracted by the name then they will grow up with Rugby League in their hearts.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Hahaha yeah, I love Union as well as League, but when we I first heard that name I thought they were talking about western military intervention in the middle east.

That said, it's still not the worst team name over that way - that title definitely belongs to the "glory"... just brings some awful stuff to mind lol

I reckon some of the new ARU Club rugby comp team names are up there especially Melbourne Rising????

RoosTah

Juniors
I reckon some of the new ARU Club rugby comp team names are up there especially Melbourne Rising????

Hadn't heard that one - just awful though... sounds like they're taking their cues from the soccer. Next thing you know we'll see a team named the Brisbane "Growl" :?

oikee

Juniors
How much longer are the NRL going to give union free reign to develop the game in WA? No doubt our under 12's that are currently sweeping all before them in the state championships will be future union players at this rate.

http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/Article...osts-games-across-Perth-in-inaugural-NRC.aspx

Calm down knucklehead. The only true superstars are made playing rugby league.
Ask yourself who are the union superstars. ? kickers or rugby league players who have moved to union.
Example, Sonny Bill, Sam Burgess soon, Lotti, Wendal, Israel Falou, out side these rugby league superstars, who really is known in union? Not many.

You only need to llok at how Jarrad Hayne had the Darwin crowd eating out of his hand to understand league is a game that produces superstars, even more-so with nines now coming on board,.
Perth will get a team. Hopefully they get Origins and Nines as well. At that round white elephant they are building.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
It'll be too hot for Nines, can you imagine the outcry if NRL players had to play in 38 degree weather for 3 days. However I hope they bring an origin game here once the new perth stadium is built.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Calm down knucklehead. The only true superstars are made playing rugby league.
Ask yourself who are the union superstars. ? kickers or rugby league players who have moved to union.
Example, Sonny Bill, Sam Burgess soon, Lotti, Wendal, Israel Falou, out side these rugby league superstars, who really is known in union? Not many.

You only need to llok at how Jarrad Hayne had the Darwin crowd eating out of his hand to understand league is a game that produces superstars, even more-so with nines now coming on board,.
Perth will get a team. Hopefully they get Origins and Nines as well. At that round white elephant they are building.

sure thing mate. Go back to screaming about the need for three Brisbane clubs even though the one you have isnt that well supported lol.

juro

Bench
Yet again Perth came out top in the Telegraph's NRL survey question on where to expand. 37% voted for Perth, while 2nd place was the Central Coast with 22%.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not surprising, everyone can see the next two obvious paces are Brisbane and Perth with a longer term plan for Wellington.

For many years CC was seen as favourite, surprised it is still second tbh.