What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Threes a Crowd

TWO’S great, but why not have three? That’s the motto of NRL WA chief executive John Sackson as he plans to bring three premiership games to the west in 2017.

This year nib Stadium is hosting a smorgasbord of rugby league action.
South Sydney will play a home game in Perth for the eighth straight season — against Gold Coast at nib Stadium on June 5 — and Manly Sea Eagles take on New Zealand Warriors on July 16.
Then there’s the historic Test between Australia and New Zealand on October 15, the first ever rugby league international in the west.
Sackson believes the Warriors have the potential to become the third “home” side next year.
“There’s certainly consideration of having three NRL games in Perth in 2017,” Sackson said.

“We’ve been talking to the New Zealand Warriors about the prospect of them hosting a home game here.
“I think that will be potentially very financially viable, but they’re the decisions the club has to make.

“They’ve got to be mindful about the amount of home games they play back in New Zealand to satisfy the appetite of their fanbase.”

Tourism WA is also putting in a submission to host Rugby League World Cup matches in Perth late next year when the tournament comes to Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
As for the West Coast Pirates’ hopes of entering an expanded NRL competition in the future, Sackson said it’s all about keeping the momentum going and “ticking all the boxes”.
“I think it’s been made very clear by the NRL that the subject of expansion has been put on the backburner for now,” he said.
“We aren’t focused 24/7 on expansion, because it’s really out of our hands.
“If we can keep demonstrating growth in participation ... that goes a long way to further enhancing our appeal as a likely NRL franchise destination.”

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...7/news-story/31d6781bb2b1e451e3371c91d58e13ad

TheRam

Coach
Says the supporter of the heartless, gutless club.;-)

Have you dragged Allianz stadium from Moore Park down to Belmore Park, Central yet?:cool:

Hahaha...Hell of a comeback kid. Hey have you got a team yet?

Oh, that would be a big fat NO! :lol:

Suckerrr.

Perth Red

Post Whore
6 WA jnrs made their debut in the under 20's this weekend for various clubs. Best of luck to them and hopefully one day they will get chance to play first grade for their home city.

flippikat

First Grade
6 WA jnrs made their debut in the under 20's this weekend for various clubs. Best of luck to them and hopefully one day they will get chance to play first grade for their home city.

WA expansion ticks boxes in just about every other category, and now they're producing juniors.

Not schoolboys, not little tykes running around with a steeden at kindy.. actual juniors playing in the under-20s for established NRL clubs.

Seriously, what more do they have to do to get a club of their own?

RoosTah

Juniors
Threes a Crowd

TWO?S great, but why not have three? That?s the motto of NRL WA chief executive John Sackson as he plans to bring three premiership games to the west in 2017.

This year nib Stadium is hosting a smorgasbord of rugby league action.
South Sydney will play a home game in Perth for the eighth straight season ? against Gold Coast at nib Stadium on June 5 ? and Manly Sea Eagles take on New Zealand Warriors on July 16.
Then there?s the historic Test between Australia and New Zealand on October 15, the first ever rugby league international in the west.
Sackson believes the Warriors have the potential to become the third ?home? side next year.
?There?s certainly consideration of having three NRL games in Perth in 2017,? Sackson said.

?We?ve been talking to the New Zealand Warriors about the prospect of them hosting a home game here.
?I think that will be potentially very financially viable, but they?re the decisions the club has to make.

?They?ve got to be mindful about the amount of home games they play back in New Zealand to satisfy the appetite of their fanbase.?

Tourism WA is also putting in a submission to host Rugby League World Cup matches in Perth late next year when the tournament comes to Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
As for the West Coast Pirates? hopes of entering an expanded NRL competition in the future, Sackson said it?s all about keeping the momentum going and ?ticking all the boxes?.
?I think it?s been made very clear by the NRL that the subject of expansion has been put on the backburner for now,? he said.
?We aren?t focused 24/7 on expansion, because it?s really out of our hands.
?If we can keep demonstrating growth in participation ... that goes a long way to further enhancing our appeal as a likely NRL franchise destination.?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...7/news-story/31d6781bb2b1e451e3371c91d58e13ad

Excellent news.

I'll be really interested to see how a Kangaroos test does in Perth, although I suspect playing England there might have been the better option. I'm not sure what the ratio is with Kiwi expats v Pommy ones though.

With all this extra engagement, I wonder if they're preparing the ground a little for the pirates?

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF we've been preparing the ground since 2008! We went backwards last year in regards to NRL profile but this year with two games and a test will be better. Plenty of Kiwis here, Warriors v Souths sells out largely due tot he big Kiwi fanbase. I suspect the Test will sell out well before game day. Sadly I will be in the Sth Pacific, talk about timing!

Souths v titans will be an interesting crowd. Souths are well supported but Titans are a non entity and many people here are pssd at the lack of support for expansion by the NRL so may not bother (I decided to go to a race that weekend instead, first perth NRL game Ive missed in 15 years).

Manly v Warriors should go close to selling out due to NZ fanbase. This game got 21,500 last time at Subi oval.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Red- given that TV will dictate where the game finally expands to come 2023... any suggestions how we can get more people in Perth watching the NRL games on FTA

Unfortunately getting 1-2 crowds a year of 18-20K doesn't seem to be doing the trick..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Historically the game has been totally ignored by TV here. Buried on digital, replays at midnight, no advertising etc etc. Its really only last 3-4 years that they have started to show games live, still only on GEM and still no promotion. part of our strength is also our weakness, kick off times. Friday games tend to be on when people are still at work or driving home. Our value to TV is less about how many new viewers we will get but the advantages of new kick off times into the east coast. Having said that the GF and SOO which are really the only games advertised here usually draw 100-150kk audiences so would suggest there is potential for growth from the current 10k tuning in on GEM. Be interesting to see the Fox viewing figures for WA as I suspect any self respecting RL fan has Fox given how Ch9 has dcked the game around in WA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That depends if the NRL want to grow the game or just pander to TV execs wishes. At some point, and I had thought we were getting there with Smith, the game needs to look after itself and make its own growth the #1 priority . AFL had no problem selling the Suns and GWS to tv execs and they are far far worse markets than perth is for RL so makes you wonder why the NRL cant do the same? Our Tv deal was once again smaller than the AFL's so you cant say that growth isn't worth $'s. Putting another NSW and Qland club into the NRL does nothing for growth of the game. Time to stop consolidating and get on the front foot to put the N in the NRL.

end of day the only real option for growth is perth, another NZ adds nothing to TV, another NSw and Qland club adds nothing to growth of game, no other expansion place is near ready (ie Adelaide or NT), PNG and PI are never getting in as they could not generate enough revenue to survive. The options are actually quite limited in some ways.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I used to think that having Perth would be good to open up more time slots...

But have you been watching Fox this week?

They don't need any more...

Pre game shows, post game shows, the Nine games... They would struggle to fit in another slot..

No, they will look to going to markets with ready made fans already watching the games on TV and that is SEQ and NZ..

TV won't pay anymore money for a tiny Perth audience which you have alluded already don't fit the main viewing times anyway...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well considering some nsw and qland teams are costing the NRL millions of $'s a year to keep afloat then adding more mouths to those over saturated markets hardly seems good business. I dont see Titans tv viewing figures any better than a Perth teams would be.

Tbh past caring, we'll happily make do with our premiership winning clubs in other codes, Perth doesn't actually need the NRL.

BuffaloRules

Coach
NZ and Qld..

In hindsight Titans shouldn't have been added but they were and it's too late now.

I think with the move to Friday 6pm games that Fox have demanded from next year at the expense of Monday night games will hasten the entry of NZ 2 as the Aust teams will be whinging deluxe at playing at that time.

Brisbane 2 is the closest thing to no risk the NRL has and will probably even boost crowds...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doubt the Friday 6pm game will last more than a few weeks, it will be a disaster and ditched quickly. Replace it with a 7or 8pm Sunday live game, perfect for a west coast home game
Hearing that sackson is making a big announcement this morning, not sure what, maybe a nsw cup team next year?

j5o6hn

Juniors
Keep it up Red at least you live in Perth and know what's happening unlike the Critics who dont, the last person I would put in charge of anything to do with expanding a sport is some one from NSW they are to frightened to do anything
They look at the AFL and laugh and joke about but the AFL has the guts to have a go and put clubs into 2 markets where they have less numbers and still do but the AFL is not throwing its hands in the air and running away.
But in NSW in which I lived and worked for 27 yrs the excuses flow and its all to hard,to far away ect ect,and they sacked the one bloke who was dragging them into the real world,and the Clubs frightened of Murdoch literally shit themselves and caved in,it makes you wonder

BuffaloRules

Coach
Keep it up Red at least you live in Perth and know what's happening unlike the Critics who dont, the last person I would put in charge of anything to do with expanding a sport is some one from NSW they are to frightened to do anything
They look at the AFL and laugh and joke about but the AFL has the guts to have a go and put clubs into 2 markets where they have less numbers and still do but the AFL is not throwing its hands in the air and running away.
But in NSW in which I lived and worked for 27 yrs the excuses flow and its all to hard,to far away ect ect,and they sacked the one bloke who was dragging them into the real world,and the Clubs frightened of Murdoch literally shit themselves and caved in,it makes you wonder

Been following League long?

The Commission won't wipe their ass after taking a dump unless they have checked that it's OK with the clubs first...

j5o6hn

Juniors
Then its about time it changed and thats what Smith was trying to do, yes I have been following League since I started playing in WA in the 60s

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes... I'm sure they will change the whole year pre announced draw a few weeks into the season...:sarcasm:

Sub 6k crowds will soon change their minds, if it ever actually happens. NRL is dumb at times but surely not even they are that stupid?

If they had any strategic vision they could have brought in Perth and NZ in 2018 and alternated between having a 6pm KO in NZ and a 9.30pm KO from perth every other week and sold that ninth game in those alternating Friday timeslots for squillions. sigh.

Last edited:

Latest posts