What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Diesel

Referee
Doubt the Friday 6pm game will last more than a few weeks, it will be a disaster and ditched quickly. Replace it with a 7or 8pm Sunday live game, perfect for a west coast home game
Hearing that sackson is making a big announcement this morning, not sure what, maybe a nsw cup team next year?

Any word on that announcement?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing exciting, just a deal NRLWA has done for playing key games at a local small stadium.

**2016 Major Games**
NRL WA is pleased to announce key games throughout the season will be staged at Dorrien Gardens with the ultimate aim of providing a greater game day experience for Players, Supporters and our Corporate Partners.

Below is a Summary of our Key Calendar Events
April 2nd
• NRL WA – Smarter than Smoking Premiership Round 1 At The Gardens
• 3 x NRL WA First Grade games
• 1 x NRL WA Women’s RL game
• 1 x NSW RL, SG Ball National u18 competition West Coast Pirates v Canterbury Bulldogs
• Main Game Kick off under lights at 6.30pm
April 23rd
• NRL WA – Anzac games
September 11th
• NRL WA – Smarter than Smoking Junior Grand Final Day
September 17th
• NRL WA – 2016 Smarter than Smoking Premiership Grand Finals
#NRLWAontheway

j5o6hn

Juniors
Interested as to why,what does the Italian club get out of it,TBH South Perth wont be impressed they seem to cop all the League largess in Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably a good commercial agreement and from what I have been told the facilities are a lot better than any of the perth rl grounds, especially for sponsors.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Thanks Perth Red I was Just wondering,I know the area parking could be a problem thought the Pub is across the road and has a good sized parking area

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lots of time and energy on Jnr RL development paying dividends in the West

By Martin Gabor
Fri, Mar 18, 2016 - 10:00AM

While rugby league has been the sport of choice for people on Australia's east coast, there is no denying the push to promote the game across the Nullarbor in Western Australia.

The NRL is already littered with several stars from WA, with Curtis Rona, Waqa Blake and Bryson Goodwin all emerging from the westernmost state's junior system.

With an impressive pathways program in place, it comes as no surprise that six Western Australian players have already made their Holden Cup debuts in 2016. Here's a look at how some of WA's brightest prospects have started their careers in the NYC.

Kurt DeLuis has been the standout Western Australian product in the opening fortnight of the Holden Cup. The 20-year-old prop forward led from the front in Parramatta's Round 1 win over the Broncos, charging for 183 metres. He also made 114 metres in just 36 minutes in the Round 2 loss to the Cowboys, and is expected to feature in the Intrust Super Premiership in 2016. The South Perth Lions junior has been named on the bench for this week's grudge match with the Bulldogs.

Josh Rogers has started life in the NYC well, featuring in both of Gold Coast's Holden Cup matches to start 2016. The young five-eighth had an impressive career in Western Australia, winning the 2014 Life Members' Rising Star Award in his first year for the North Beach Sea Eagles in the Smarter than Smoking Premiership.

Harry Leddy made his NYC debut for the Rabbitohs in their Round 2 loss to the Knights, coming off the bench as the side's utility player. He has again been named on the interchange for this week's clash with the Dragons. The talented playmaker is a product of Aranmore College in WA, having come through the system at the North Beach Sea Eagles.

St George-Illawarra's Keelyn Tuuta-Edwards is a versatile 19-year-old capable of playing in the centres or the back-row, and featured in coach Matthew Head's side for the Round 1 loss to the Storm. The impressive youngster joined the Dragons after coming through the ranks at the Rockingham Sharks, before representing the West Coast Pirates in the SG Ball competition. Tuuta-Edwards has incredible footwork for a player of his size, and has the added bonus of being able to kick goals.

Sam DeFiddes grew up playing for the Joondalup Giants, where he was their Player of the Year in 2011, 2012 and 2013. The boom rookie played two seasons for the West Coast Pirates in SG Ball, and was a member of the Western Australian state side in 2013 and 2014. A robust centre capable of playing in the back-row, the 19-year-old has looked at home for the Wests Tigers in the first two rounds of the Holden Cup.

Kainoa Gudgeon has an impressive start to his career in the Holden Cup, scoring a double on debut in the Round 1 win over the Titans. The winger had a solid stint with the West Coast Pirates in the SG Ball competition, and has taken his talents to Newcastle in a bid to further his career. The South Perth Lions junior has formed a deadly combination with centre Cory Denniss, who could be in line to make his NRL debut this weekend.
http://m.nrl.com/western-australias-growing-nrl-impact/tabid/10874/newsid/93924/default.aspx

j5o6hn

Juniors
I believe there a few WA boys playing in the QLD cup comp as well not sure how many nice to see WA boys getting on with it

Perth Red

Post Whore
New NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has made it clear there are no immediate plans to place a team in Perth.

Greenberg has completed a meteoric rise from Canterbury Bulldogs CEO to Head of Football at the NRL to the top job all in a couple of years.

Speaking on 882 6PR's Sports Today, the first question Greenberg was about a team in Western Australia.

"Why did I know that would the first question I got when I came on the program?" he said.

"Our expansion plans have been pretty clear over the last 12-24 months.

"Our focus is very much on our 16 current clubs trying to get them sustainable ... that's our immediate priority."

Greenberg pointed towards the two Premiership season games in Western Australia this year and the first-ever International game in Perth as the game's "footprint" in the state.

One positive for West Australian NRL fans was Greenberg's positive response to a potential 2018 State of Origin game at the new Burswood stadium.

"We've taken great interest in the new stadium, clearly it's going to be one of the country's most fantastic stadium experiences for fans," Greenberg said.

"Discussions with WA tourism and Government have already been had and will continue to be had and if there's opportunity for a (State of Origin) we'll certianly look at that."

http://www.6pr.com.au/news/greenbergperth-no-priority-20160331-gnvd9f.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos doing some work in the West

broncos-night.jpg

broncos-perth-holiday-clinic.jpg

aarondoyle

Juniors
Is it just me or is they're always something going on in Perth. The WARL do a great job. The Storm need to start working closer with the VRL, get numbers up, get the under 20s based in Melbourne, and generally promote the grass roots of the game in Victoria.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes one of tne great disappointment of the introduction of the storm has been the lack of development for the vrl as part of the strategy. At amateur level they still haven't caught up with WA and have fallen behind NT. There has been some increase in player registrations but nothing like you would hope given the exposure the game has had in Melbourne in the last decade.

The warl do a great job with very little funding and John sackson is a great CEO.

taipan

Referee
Yes one of tne great disappointment of the introduction of the storm has been the lack of development for the vrl as part of the strategy. At amateur level they still haven't caught up with WA and have fallen behind NT. There has been some increase in player registrations but nothing like you would hope given the exposure the game has had in Melbourne in the last decade.

The warl do a great job with very little funding and John sackson is a great CEO.

The exposure of rugby league in Melbourne is minimal.SOO and Grand finals excepting.The Melbourne media including Herald Sun, pays scant attention to the code,as does the TV.
Let's hope when the 2018 money kicks in,the NRL uses some of that money to promote in that Vic Kicky state.

RoosTah

Juniors

I just had a look at the NRL WA website, and you're not kidding. It's obviously a much better set up than the Victorian equivalent, which is just a fox webpage that appears totally unorganised and has little information on their local competition up front.

Do the state league premiers of comps like WA and Victoria's ever have play offs? It'd be interesting to see what an interstate club battle would look like to gauge development

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Out of interest, if travel was not an issue could the WARL out together a team to be competitive at ron massey cup level? With some imports perhaps even NSW cup, whats your thoughts?

Greenburgs latest comments on expansion made me want to vomit. No vision and it seems no motivation to even look at expanding the footprint of the nrl despite several bids desperate to have a go. Perth, brisbane and new zealand are all ripe for more NRL!

Perth Red

Post Whore
We did have a team in the old Jim Beam/Bundaberg cup league for a couple of seasons that was competitive if not spectacular. I'd say the game in WA has strengthend since then. Problem is any kid with talent understandably heads East to try and break through into NRL so the talent pool is eroded each year making it difficult to develop a strong team at that level. I do think a link up with PNG could be a very successful way of exposing more PNG jnrs to the next level and help substitute the lack of depth in playing numbers in WA. If only we had an NRL CEO with some vision lol.

RoosTah no there isn't interstate club comp beyond the Nines comps around the country. there is a State comp each season that picks the best club players from the local comps. WA has won it something like 8/10 in the mens, Vic are doing well in the U18's and NT have improved significantly in last 3 years.

As in most places a significant lack of grass roots investment hampers the growth of the game in WA and the fact we have had 3 new jnr clubs in the last 3 years start up is a testament to the hard work with little money that is happening.

WireMan

Bench
6 WA jnrs made their debut in the under 20's this weekend for various clubs. Best of luck to them and hopefully one day they will get chance to play first grade for their home city.

So how many wa juniors are running around the various comps now?
Must be a fair few now.

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL needs a team in Perth.
I'd prefer to see a Sydney team relocated to Perth rather than a brand new team. The reason is there are too many teams in Sydney so we could lose a few and also I think the quality of players is not there to support more than 16 teams (I think we should be reducing teams actually).
I'd even nominate my team the Eels for Perth, though I think maybe the Bulldogs or Tigers would be better.
It could be done over 5 or more years with the club initially building a relationship with the Perth fan base moving first two then three then four home games a year.
Again it would require the NRL's support (this is where the idea falls down as the NRL is useless) with incentives such as an extra $mill grant, salary cap concessions and maybe guarantee games (if Parra at Parra Stadium).
The biggest stumbling block is the NRL is run by Clubs which are run by idiots - guys who should be concreters.

The NRL needs a team in Perth.
I'd prefer to see a Sydney team relocated to Perth rather than a brand new team. The reason is there are too many teams in Sydney so we could lose a few and also I think the quality of players is not there to support more than 16 teams (I think we should be reducing teams actually).
I'd even nominate my team the Eels for Perth, though I think maybe the Bulldogs or Tigers would be better.
It could be done over 5 or more years with the club initially building a relationship with the Perth fan base moving first two then three then four home games a year.
Again it would require the NRL's support (this is where the idea falls down as the NRL is useless) with incentives such as an extra $mill grant, salary cap concessions and maybe guarantee games (if Parra at Parra Stadium).
The biggest stumbling block is the NRL is run by Clubs which are run by idiots - guys who should be concreters.

You are right we do not have the player talent for a 17th team.

To be honest you look at the bottom Clubs rosters in the NRL and it looks like we only have the talent pool for 14 teams.

No Club has shown even the slightest bit of interest in relocating.

So until a Sydney Club dies I can't see expansion for a very long time.