What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd be surprised to see any new teams before 2021-22. Greenberg has no vision for growth and we will see little beyond helping out the existing clubs over the next 5 years, sadly.

So far we have Nth Qld, Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra covered as regional centres/cities and Melbourne and Brisbane as major cities covered. That's 6 of of our 16 teams.

My thoughts - and I'm not picking on anyone here.

* I really would like to see St George Illawarra actually cover the South Coast more (with NRL and CRL assistance - in conjunction with the Raiders, to shore up all of Southern NSW, Highlands, Riverina, ACT) where the combined juniors can trade between the two clubs if need be. Saints would ideally play 9 of 12 games at Wollongong and 3 in Sydney [1 being the alternate hosting of the ANZAC Game].

* I'd like to see the comp expanded to 18 teams, with Perth and either Brisbane 2 or NZ 2 given the other spot. An Adelaide, PNG and Pacifica team would be something to work on for the next 30 years. Brisbane 2 or NZ 2is a no brainer. Perth gives us options with tv slots, new markets, new frontiers, etc.

* I'd like to see a Sydney team take on the Central Coast. Easts are already putting groundwork in. If it be them, so be it. If not, the NRL should encourage a Sydney based team to relocate to the Central Coast.

* I'd like to see the NRL make sure SW Sydney has a permanent team in the Campbelltown/Narellan/Camden basin. In 25-50 years that area will all be suburbia. They need a team where the people are.

* IF the NRL can't get a team in to base themselves in CC and SWS then really, each Sydney team should be playing 1 game on the CC and 1 game at Campbelltown/SWS each season to give both these areas at least 8 games a

* I don't actually have a problem with Easts, or their location at the SFS. I'm not an Easts hating Souths fan. In fact, the East needs a team and they've been there since 1908. With properly done membership and promotion with the club and NRL and hell, even by doing a multi-Swans, Roosters, Tahs, Sydney FC membership, I reckon the Roosters would benefit immensely from that. Apologies if there is already something like that in place. Eastern Sydney / Sydney City need a team and it shall remain the Roosters.

* Souths / Bulldogs play out of ANZ. Penrith remain where they are too, as do Paramatta. Depending on finances, and meeting all eligibility for remaining in the comp, that's where they stay and grow their markets, etc.

* Manly - I know I'm going to PO a lot of people but they should really look at becoming the 2nd Brisbane team. And before anyone goes ballistic, I've said the same about Souths. If the NRL made it financially worthwhile, a Manly team at Suncorp playing on alternative weekends to the Broncos would be an absolute winner IMHO. Furthermore, the draw is rigged so they get good exposure on TV for 5-10 years as a thank you AND they create a Sydney Sea Eagles membership base/season ticket whereby the draw is also rigged so that Manly play 6-8 games in Sydney each season. Thereby, Manly fans would be able to attend all these games in Sydney. (I wonder how many of the people in the crowd of 15-18,000 each Manly game goes to more than 1-3 games a season at Brookvale anyway). Again, this is just a hypothetical really, and I do not wish to aggravate or annoy Manly fans. The same option could be given to them to move to South NZ as Manly always seem very well supported amongst Kiwi fans. I know there's the argument we forgo the North Shore without Manly but I personally don't see Brookvale ever getting redone OR a 'new' boutique stadium getting built from anywhere to Chatswood to Narrabeen.

* I also foresee a time where the NRL runs Jr football. The NRL clubs will focus solely on developing their squad, recruitment and retention, and all junior players will come through a draft system from NSW/QLD club structures and from within the NZ, WA and anywhere else once those junior bases are built. The AFL has a draft due to a player association agreement, so I can't see why the NRL can't have the same thing.

In fact, the NRL should be organising all match day events/entertainment, total NRL wide sponsorship deals, TV/internet deals, advertising revenues, promotion, etc. The NRL clubs should focus solely on their squads, training, playing and winning. And that's about it.

I know I'll get shouted down. Again, I do not wish to offend anyone's team. I think vigorous debate is good. I also think it's time to stop thinking suburban and getting this game back to the forefront. There is so much that is fun, good and great about the game. Sure, there are negatives, but with elbow grease the NRL and RL as a code can be amazing.

Clifferd

Coach
To me it makes more sense for Souffs to play out of the SFS and in the near future have Tigers/Eels/Dragons have half their games played out of ANZ and the others at their traditional home grounds

taipan

Referee
I'd be surprised to see any new teams before 2021-22. Greenberg has no vision for growth and we will see little beyond helping out the existing clubs over the next 5 years, sadly.

" No vision for growth" or more likely ensuring all current clubs are financially underpinned before expansion push.

We have seen money wasted on GC/Lions/GWS on early expansions.Ditto Rebels/Force.

West Tigers financial problems just about resolved,ditto Dragons with Win boss involved..Leaves Titans and Newcastle for eventual sale which should be well resolved by 2018.

Pushing into new territory ,when your current clubs are struggling is not a great commercial argument.Lose a couple of Sydney clubs and fumble ball gets a further leg up.SL 1995 was a classic example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And there in lies the problem. For 100 years all current clubs haven't been financially viable at different times and for different reasons. If you are waiting for that to happen before expansion we are in for a verrrrry long wait. Too many clubs chasing corporate $ in NSW, an apathetic fanbase and a traditional inability of club management to spend only what they earn plus a reliance on leagues club income which can dramatically fluctuate are all reasons. Sure the NRL can throw more TV $ millions at each of the 16 clubs, which seems to be its current plan, but the chances that in 2-3 years time we are going to have 16 financially vibrant clubs is extremely remote, and so is expansion because of it.

Now love them or hate them, the AFL has accepted the reality, put in place structures to underpin the heartland clubs and those that are or might struggle and not let it cloud their expansion vision. In this way they bail out the strugglers and still invest heavily in growth.

Until NRL does the same there will be no confidence for expansion because of the fear of failure in some of the 16 existing clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
" No vision for growth" or more likely ensuring all current clubs are financially underpinned before expansion push.

We have seen money wasted on GC/Lions/GWS on early expansions.Ditto Rebels/Force.

West Tigers financial problems just about resolved,ditto Dragons with Win boss involved..Leaves Titans and Newcastle for eventual sale which should be well resolved by 2018.

Pushing into new territory ,when your current clubs are struggling is not a great commercial argument.Lose a couple of Sydney clubs and fumble ball gets a further leg up.SL 1995 was a classic example.

Is there any evidence that clubs have gotten financially stronger since the big increase in the TV deal in 2010?
The grant to the clubs gets bigger, but that goes to either the players or the football program (i.e. wrestling coaches and the like). Any increase in grant will always just see inflation in the football department wages. Has revenue increased from any other source other than club grants?
Bring in stronger clubs, that will potentially kill off weak clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Precisely, look at a club like Parra. Good supporter base, large membership income, decent corporate portfolio, big increase in NRL grants in last 5 years. You'd think they'd be going ok but still needed $5million in Leagues club funding to spend what they spent last year. Only takes another pokie law change and they are screwed like Dragons and Wests. Private ownership the answer? Well not if you look at titans and Knights were private ownership nearly sank them, Knights despite one of the biggest
fanbases in the comp. Waiting for all current clubs to feel safe and secure is like waiting for a lotto win, you can be hopeful but the odds are slim!

siv

First Grade
We need a plan

Even if it starts with pathways expansion

But we seem to be stuck with the old 14 team post SL war model in a disgruntled 16 team format

But every tier is a mess with no direction

From U16s/U18s where regional Australia is not repesented

U20s trying to be killed off by QLD factions

No U23s leaving a gaping gap for forwards development

To a half-arsed reserve grade - which isnt reserve grade doesnt address national state representations

International program being undermined by SOO

Bush football ongoing issues

And no real RL growth for over 25 years

taipan

Referee
Is there any evidence that clubs have gotten financially stronger since the big increase in the TV deal in 2010?
The grant to the clubs gets bigger, but that goes to either the players or the football program (i.e. wrestling coaches and the like). Any increase in grant will always just see inflation in the football department wages. Has revenue increased from any other source other than club grants?
Bring in stronger clubs, that will potentially kill off weak clubs.

The full effect of the club grants doesn't come in til 2018 to the clubs so the effect is not immediate,despite there being an increase next year.
As Tigers and Dragons are in a better financial position than they were 6 months ago is a start.Penrith is in a better position.
The Titans were down and out and now have sponsorships worth in total $10m over a few years.They were a basket case a year or so ago.

Grants are expected to cover they full salary cap and a separate grant for promotional/development work.

Haven't got the figures but believe merchandise revenue is well up.

And pray which are the stronger clubs to bring in ATM? Perth is no guarantee,and i want that club in.The WA economy is in huge debt ,and the mining industry has a multitude of problems.

Perth Red

Post Whore
98k watched origin in Perth. Can only imagine what it would be if Ch9 didn't bury it on a digital channel with no promotion.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Well that's typical Ch9 in Perth, I some times listen to 6PR when they do there AFL report,Sorry "sports report" and NRL never gets a mention,I think the blokes on the evening sports show are better but the bloke who does 9 sport whose name escapes me ATM is an AFL nut job.
If you think that's bad the local ABC dont cover NRL because they dont have a team in Perth so to them they are not National enough,also the Morning Show host gets connipitions when NRL is mentioned he hates it

Latest posts