What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
One-off double header against a new team playing 13 games - will the crowd still turn up if you're 2-20 and getting belted each week?
Probably as many as for any other club, and probably more than some. I guess we’ll never know if we never try. The two years pre covid the bottom few so called heartland teams avg’d under 12k so the bars not exactly high!

Jamberoo

Juniors
If Perth played @ Optus Rnd 1 (+ finals), then 11 @ HBF, reckon they would average 16k - 18k - top 4 for crowds after Broncos, Eels & Knights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe Perth will get a womens team before a mens one lol

A call on new clubs will be made in July, with North Queensland and Canberra the two early favourites after making clear submissions to join.

The Warriors will be given an early chance after being forced to withdraw from the currently-running postponed 2021 season due to COVID-19.

Aside from them, Melbourne, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Canterbury have made clear their intent to join current clubs Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Parramatta, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters.

"You want to think about the criteria very carefully," NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said.

"The location will play part of that, but also existing pathways and existing talent.

"It's great for players to grow up playing junior fully and then aspire to play at the elite level in that region and not having to relocate.

"Which clubs are going to be putting forward proposals around how they're planning to invest all the way down (will also be crucial)."

While the current round of expansion will likely only include current NRL clubs, there is breadth to go beyond those as Abdo dreams of a larger competition.

That could include the potential of sides in the Pacific Islands or Papua New Guinea, as well as interest from Perth with Western Australia the current champions from teams outside NSW, ACT and Queensland.

"There's nothing stopping us from thinking differently about where women's clubs may be situated beyond an NRL club licence," Abdo said.

"It's difficult to predict where we will end, because hopefully we never do we just keep growing."

Tigers1986

Juniors
Wests and Cronulla would have to be bigger favourites than Cowboys or Canberra given their investment into the pathway systems, Wests especially (high schools, country champs, tarsha, NSW premiership) plus some 'big' players signed who may be swayed as marquee (Vette-Welsh, Apps, Sergis, Curtin).

The Great Dane

First Grade
Wests and Cronulla would have to be bigger favourites than Cowboys or Canberra given their investment into the pathway systems, Wests especially (high schools, country champs, tarsha, NSW premiership) plus some 'big' players signed who may be swayed as marquee (Vette-Welsh, Apps, Sergis, Curtin).
Doesn't mean that they are good options for the NRLW going forward.

I mean FFS, everybody with two braincells to rub together agrees that there're to many Sydney clubs in the NRL. So why would we knowing and willingly recreate that problem in the NRLW when there's no reason to?

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors
Doesn't mean that they are good options for the NRLW going forward.

I mean FFS, everybody with two braincells to rub together agrees that there're to many Sydney clubs in the NRL. So why would we knowing and willingly recreate that problem in the NRLW when there's no reason to?
Absolutely, it should be great news for women all over Australia not just women who live in Sydney.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Absolutely, it should be great news for women all over Australia not just women who live in Sydney.
Nothing to do with being "great news" for anyone.

It should be built to be a viable product independent of the men's league, and as such a new source of income and a new way to promote the sport for NRL. Not an astroturfed publicity stunt of league a like AFLW (and most women's sport frankly) that runs out of steam after a few seasons once the novelty wears off.

gallagher

Juniors
Nothing to do with being "great news" for anyone.

It should be built to be a viable product independent of the men's league, and as such a new source of income and a new way to promote the sport for NRL. Not an astroturfed publicity stunt of league a like AFLW (and most women's sport frankly) that runs out of steam after a few seasons once the novelty wears off.
Gotcha, its bad news for women who love league

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tricky one as I can see the Kudos, tv coverage and sponsorships etc that comes from branding same as NRL clubs but with such a ltd pool of players maybe it would have been better to set up an independent from clubs State comp with 3 or 4 Sydney rep clubs. I guess the NRL doesnt want to foot all the bill so is happy for the clubs to pick up some of the tab. I guess eventually it it evolves into a full comp then it can played on same day as the NRL mens game giving fans two games for price of one.

Sadly it does mean the talented ladies in the West are unlikely to progress or get opportunities as the salaries dont justify upping sticks and moving across the country at the moment for most.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Gotcha, its bad news for women who love league
No, I'm saying we shouldn't be looking at it as a product "for a female audience" any more than the Telstra premiership is "for a male audience".

Make the male demographic unwelcome, or it uncool for them to support NRLW sides, and you're cutting off 50% of the potential audience and consumer base and basically murdering any chance that the league will be successful.
That is what has murdered the growth of basically every female league in America historically, and it always starts with political entities, lets be straight normally Feminists, whom only care about the sport and league in so much as they can use it to push their political agenda, saying things like it's 'great news for women'.

In other words what I'm saying is that if we want the NRLW to be successful then it needs to be great news for footy fans no matter who they are, not just for female footy fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, I'm saying we shouldn't be looking at it as a product "for a female audience" any more than the Telstra premiership is "for a male audience".

Make the male demographic unwelcome, or it uncool for them to support NRLW sides, and you're cutting off 50% of the potential audience and consumer base and basically murdering any chance that the league will be successful.
That is what has murdered the growth of basically every female league in America historically, and it always starts with political entities, lets be straight normally Feminists, whom only care about the sport and league in so much as they can use it to push their political agenda, saying things like it's 'great news for women'.

In other words what I'm saying is that if we want the NRLW to be successful then it needs to be great news for footy fans no matter who they are, not just for female footy fans.
In reality then it needs to offer something different to the mens game. Otherwise it will always be looked on as second rate to the mens game and the followers of the mens game wont be that interested. I think thats a big part of the issues of womens sport generally, even in areas like Tennis and golf where the womens game is much more developed and followed. At the moment the traditional tackling style, clean PoTB and free flowing nature of the womens game is what makes it enjoyable and different from the grind of NRLM. If they can maintain that as they become more professional will be interesting to see.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Tricky one as I can see the Kudos, tv coverage and sponsorships etc that comes from branding same as NRL clubs
Yeah such great kudos that none of them are capable of drawing an attendance larger than 3 digits until the final quarter of the game when people start getting in early for the NRL...

This argument that the women's teams sharing branding with the NRL sides leads to better coverage and sponsorship opportunities is the biggest baseless post-hock rationalisation I've seen in a long time.

Truth be told (and to be fair you said it yourself), the NRL, and most other women's leagues, do it that way because it's cheaper and easier.

The Great Dane

First Grade
In reality then it needs to offer something different to the mens game. Otherwise it will always be looked on as second rate to the mens game and the followers of the mens game wont be that interested. I think thats a big part of the issues of womens sport generally, even in areas like Tennis and golf where the womens game is much more developed and followed. At the moment the traditional tackling style, clean PoTB and free flowing nature of the womens game is what makes it enjoyable and different from the grind of NRLM. If they can maintain that as they become more professional will be interesting to see.
Um-hum, which is why it needs to target niche audiences that aren't, or can't be, supported by the men's league.

In the NRL's case the obvious route would have been to target smaller established fanbases whom will never get/be able to support an NRL side, such as North Sydney, Newtown, some of the clubs in Brisbane, small country markets, etc, with some glamorous markets chucked in where possible.

Had they have done that then it would have had it's own independent audience as a base, but still been capable of drawing the interest of your general RL fan, and I'd argue that there would have been just as much, if not more, fanfare around the league.

Though from the NRL's point of view the problem with that model is that it's more expensive and it creates more competition in market for their existing clubs, which is bad argumentation, but is almost certainly the way they are seeing things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah such great kudos that none of them are capable of drawing an attendance larger than 3 digits until the final quarter of the game when people start getting in early for the NRL...

This argument that the women's teams sharing branding with the NRL sides leads to better coverage and sponsorship opportunities is the biggest baseless post-hock rationalisation I've seen in a long time.

Truth be told (and to be fair you said it yourself), the NRL, and most other women's leagues, do it that way because it's cheaper and easier.
TBf can you name me a womens team sport in Australia (apart from AFLW in its early days) that can draw a 4 digit crowd? Its easier for NRL to package the NRLW into the tv deal where production costs can be rolled into NRL coverage than go out and find decent coverage for an independent womens comp that has no recognizable branding. But yes ultimately its probably to help share the costs, which if it is the only way of making it happen is fair enough

The Great Dane

First Grade
TBf can you name me a womens team sport in Australia (apart from AFLW in its early days) that can draw a 4 digit crowd?
Netball.

Now what I wonder is the major difference between Netball and the other leagues?

The other Australian example is Canberra Utd, the only independent club in A-league women's. Though I think they are struggling ATM, but that's more a product of the times.

BTW, the AFLW only had good crowds early on because tickets were free...
Its easier for NRL to package the NRLW into the tv deal where production costs can be rolled into NRL coverage than go out and find decent coverage for an independent womens comp that has no recognizable branding. But yes ultimately its probably to help share the costs, which if it is the only way of making it happen is fair enough
Easier doesn't mean better, and I simply don't accept that no broadcaster would be have been interest in the NRLW unless the NRL clubs were involved.

Sure the coverage may not have been as good as the NRL's at least initially, but as long as it's a decent standard than that's not an issue.

LimeRick

Juniors
Netball.

Now what I wonder is the major difference between Netball and the other leagues?

The other Australian example is Canberra Utd, the only independent club in A-league women's. Though I think they are struggling ATM, but that's more a product of the times.

BTW, the AFLW only had good crowds early on because tickets were free...

Easier doesn't mean better, and I simply don't accept that no broadcaster would be have been interest in the NRLW unless the NRL clubs were involved.

Sure the coverage may not have been as good as the NRL's at least initially, but as long as it's a decent standard than that's not an issue.

Only a quarter of AFLW crowds this year had only three digits, and a bunch were WA teams forced to play home games in Melbourne.

The common denominator between AFLW and Canberra United crowds is clean air from the men's games.

I've always found it crazy that NRLW synchs with the NRL, particularly with finals (I get it's to play the gfs at the same time). The women are clearly going to take a backseat to men. They've done amazingly well on TV, but the crowds would do so much better if they weren't competing with the men.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to Perth, tickets for Origin have gone on sale today. Be surprised if it doesn't sell out quickly though sure there's plenty like me that are in two minds on spending $600 on tickets when the NRL continues to ignore our plea for a club.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Fittler tips Perth for NRL expansion team​

With the Queensland-based Dolphins joining the NRL in 2023, NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has tipped Perth as a potential expansion city as the code takes State of Origin west again in 2022.
Perth will host game two of this year's State of Origin series and Fittler believes the showcase fixture will draw even more support for the game in Western Australia.

"We've got the Dolphins coming in next year to the NRL and there's talk of another team to make it an 18-team competition in the near future so, Perth's always been one of those areas that we've spoke about," the Blues coach said.
"Obviously the time difference, it's a popular sport over here - the competition with the AFL is tough but it's something off this (Origin) game that will create a lot of interest and get rugby league rolling again."

The Dolphins are the NRL's first expansion side since Gold Coast in 2007 and the 34th club in the history of the game.
Perth last had a rugby league franchise in 1997 when the Perth Reds played in the Super League before being axed from the competition later that year.

Fittler tips Perth for NRL expansion team​

With the Queensland-based Dolphins joining the NRL in 2023, NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has tipped Perth as a potential expansion city as the code takes State of Origin west again in 2022.
Perth will host game two of this year's State of Origin series and Fittler believes the showcase fixture will draw even more support for the game in Western Australia.

"We've got the Dolphins coming in next year to the NRL and there's talk of another team to make it an 18-team competition in the near future so, Perth's always been one of those areas that we've spoke about," the Blues coach said.
"Obviously the time difference, it's a popular sport over here - the competition with the AFL is tough but it's something off this (Origin) game that will create a lot of interest and get rugby league rolling again."

The Dolphins are the NRL's first expansion side since Gold Coast in 2007 and the 34th club in the history of the game.
Perth last had a rugby league franchise in 1997 when the Perth Reds played in the Super League before being axed from the competition later that year.

Whoever wrote that article needs to read few history books. The idiot said there's only been 34 teams in the game's history. There were clubs playing in northern England 13 years before the f**ken NSWRFL existed.

Yes, Perth would be a good place for an NRL team. There is a following and a chance to grow the game. Getting the existing clubs and state bodies to do what needs to be done to make it work is the hard part.

Latest posts