What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Colk

First Grade
Dragons
souths
roosters
storm
broncos
warriors

all owned or backed by private owners. LC’s revenue has been dwindling in recent years as the next generation gambles online, once the boomer pokie addicts have pegged it then LC’s could be in trouble. Hence why many of them are now diversifying into other business areas.

A perth club will need some decent investors to give nrl security but we have at least 3 millionaires keen to buy in, one of them has more money and assets than the redcliffe dolphins has.

I forgot about the Warriors. I knew of everybody else

If you’regoing to claim Sunshine Coast is going to travel to suncorp to support dolphins then we’ll claim the whole of WA ready to back the West Coast Pirates ie 2.7million!

of course perth makes sense as the next club, we just need to get rid of Vlandys and his puppet before that decision is made!
Dolphins will be taking games to Sunshine Coast.

L

Like I said it’s smoke and mirrors. fox are NOT paying anymore in 2023 than they did in the last deal. Ch9 are NOT paying anymore cash than in the last deal. Expansion has not brought in anymore cash to the nrl And will cost it $15million a year. That’s the facts, you’d have to ask our leader why he couldn’t get more money than the last deal despite adding a brisbane club that was supposed to be Valuable to tv.
Are you suggesting that Foxtel would have paid the exact same amount without The Dolphins?

That's just speculation and not fact.

We can only go by the information presented to us. It wouldn't surprise me if Foxtel were going to pay us $100m less than last time due to COVID-19, their spiralling debt and ratings for NRL being down in recent seasons. They've shed a lot of content and jobs due to their financial woes.

Dragons
souths
roosters
storm
broncos
warriors

all owned or backed by private owners. LC’s revenue has been dwindling in recent years as the next generation gambles online, once the boomer pokie addicts have pegged it then LC’s could be in trouble. Hence why many of them are now diversifying into other business areas.

A perth club will need some decent investors to give nrl security but we have at least 3 millionaires keen to buy in, one of them has more money and assets than the redcliffe dolphins has.
Weren't some of these blokes involved with the Reds in the 90s?

RedVee

First Grade
I agree. Perth should be the next team. The market has 2m people and supports its teams.

My only concern for Perth and NZ 2 is financial security.

Do they have enough assets and financiers to survive a tough period like COVID-19?

Pokies are illegal in Perth so the Pirates/Reds will rely on memberships and investors. Tinker's antics at Newcastle will make the ARLC think twice about a club relying mostly on a millionaire. Titans had trouble and needed to be bailed out.

If Bruce Gordon bails out of the Dragons then they might be in trouble as Steelers Leagues struggles to make money.

Sydney Souffs could be in the shit when Crowe pulls out and the onfield success dries up.

Brisbane 3's biggest selling point is it will have the asset base and money from their Leagues Club to be financially viable and a powerhouse from day one. Ideally it wouldn't be considered until 2035, but if it's the only solvent option in 2027 or the networks want another Brisbane team then that will be who they promote.
Forget the Steelers, they own 0% of the Dragons and I cannot imagine they would be able to replace the Gordon’s if they wanted out. Indications are that Bruce Gordon’s son is the one with an interest and he is younger than Bruce’s 90 odd years.
But the problem with personal ownership is that ‘things can change’ - so you are correct, there is no guarantee.

I vote #1 Perth for team 18.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you suggesting that Foxtel would have paid the exact same amount without The Dolphins?

That's just speculation and not fact.

We can only go by the information presented to us. It wouldn't surprise me if Foxtel were going to pay us $100m less than last time due to COVID-19, their spiralling debt and ratings for NRL being down in recent seasons. They've shed a lot of content and jobs due to their financial woes.
I’m saying for a fact that they are paying exactly the same for a comp with the dolphins as they paid in 2017 for a comp without the dolphins. Ie no more than they dI’d in the previous deal for a 16 team comp.

Either a) Vlandys signed up to a really sht deal worth $100mill less than last time or b) it was all smoke and mirrors to make it sound like expansion brought in $100mill from fox when in fact theyve paid the same as last time. You choose.

I’m saying for a fact that they are paying exactly the same for a comp with the dolphins as they paid in 2017 for a comp without the dolphins. Ie no more than they dI’d in the previous deal for a 16 team comp.

Either a) Vlandys signed up to a really sht deal worth $100mill less than last time or b) it was all smoke and mirrors to make it sound like expansion brought in $100mill from fox when in fact theyve paid the same as last time. You choose.
So it's all a conspiracy by PVL and News Ltd?

That's what you're saying and I find it a bit far fetched.

I don't trust News Ltd, but I don't see why they would pretend they paid $100m more to fund expansion if they were going to pay the same amount for a 16 team competition. This is a company that has never done any favours for RL and even admitted in the past that it prefers fumbleball.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Titans for sure should be renamed.
NQ should have been the Crocs.(Was that basketball team already around?)
OIP.CHzUrPLEb9uhXiODcDPtSAHaFj

Perth Red

Post Whore
So it's all a conspiracy by PVL and News Ltd?

That's what you're saying and I find it a bit far fetched.

I don't trust News Ltd, but I don't see why they would pretend they paid $100m more to fund expansion if they were going to pay the same amount for a 16 team competition. This is a company that has never done any favours for RL and even admitted in the past that it prefers fumbleball.
I think it was smoke and mirrors imo, it allowed Vlandys to announce that expansion was more than paying for itself without the tv companies actually paying anymore money. maybe it was just a coincidence that news ltd offered $100mill less then in 2017 then offered $100mill for expansion? lol.

I think it was smoke and mirrors imo, it allowed Vlandys to announce that expansion was more than paying for itself without the tv companies actually paying anymore money. maybe it was just a coincidence that news ltd offered $100mill less then in 2017 then offered $100mill for expansion? lol.
You could be right. Murdoch got to where he is by knowing how to negotiate.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Absolute nonsense, if you wait until decisions are being made to start having the argument then it'll be too late (again).

The argument needs to be had out now, not left until it's too late to have any influence on the thinking of the people making the decisions. Of course it won't be had because there isn't one mainstream voice that stands on this side of the argument anymore, but that's beside the point.

There will inevitably be people whom push for a "traditional" club in NZ as well, so this argument, and/or other similar ones, will inevitably come up in NZ as well. So there's no getting around it, it needs to be had out.

BTW, the Redcliffe decision will force the 3rd Brisbane club (which is now inevitable so long as the NRL continues to grow), and any subsequent clubs in Brisbane, to be suburban/regional.
There's also a good chance that the 18th club will be from Brisbane, so it's already on the radar. If the money in NZ doesn't add up then odds are that Brisbane is up for the 18th license, unless of course if there're massive changes at the administrative level of the sport between now and then, which is extremely unlikely.

News will cave to another club so long as they believe that it's not a threat to the Broncos.

In other words they won't oppose a third Brisbane club, they'll just make sure that the one picked is the least threat to the Broncos, like they did with the Dolphins.

The Titans, Storm, and/or Dolphins will probably make a stink about it, but they have no real power or leverage over the NRL or ARLC, so it'll make no difference. The other clubs won't back them up either, where the next club is placed makes little difference to them once the decision has been made to expand.
You are so salty about the Dolphins being admitted to the NRL. Firstly, let's let them kick off and play a few seasons before we declare them a failure and secondly, they are much more stable and with much stronger foundations than some NRL clubs you are comparing them to.

Finally, they were the best bid of the ones presented so get over it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game needs the Dolphins to be a massive success. If they fail it could be another 20 years till we see next expansion.

gallagher

Juniors
The pirates need to get their backers to bid to join the womens comp. Sure, there would be hurdles and it would be costly but it would be a foot in the door. Give VLandys something to think about, and he couldn't just blow off people wanting to put money into the women's game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The pirates need to get their backers to bid to join the womens comp. Sure, there would be hurdles and it would be costly but it would be a foot in the door. Give VLandys something to think about, and he couldn't just blow off people wanting to put money into the women's game.
No one’s going to invest in a loss making venture with little kudos. Rl isn’t a charity! If I was a multi millionaire I wouldn’t be putting a cent into rugby league here till I had a cast iron guarantee of an nrl club. We’ve seen too many false promises to trust the nrl and a chairman who thinks we are a waste of money.

gallagher

Juniors
Well they gotta try something to get back in the conversation. Investing in an NRL men's team would be loss making aswell. Are you saying there's no one willing to invest in the men's either?

Nuke

Staff member
There's a growing market for womens Rugby League in WA. I think we're up to 3 representatives in the NRLW already? Personally, I feel more aren't that far away too.

I also believe any new NRL clubs will be obligated to also include an NRLW side as part of their licence agreement, which I agree with. I understand the Dolphins will be required to include a womens team too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well they gotta try something to get back in the conversation. Investing in an NRL men's team would be loss making aswell. Are you saying there's no one willing to invest in the men's either?
There’s people willing to invest in an nrl team. That brings kudos, possible ROI and is the goal for rich rl fans willing to put millions in. No one wants to waste money on a womens team or a nsw cup team In the “hope” the nrl may take notice.

gallagher

Juniors
There’s people willing to invest in an nrl team. That brings kudos, possible ROI and is the goal for rich rl fans willing to put millions in. No one wants to waste money on a womens team or a nsw cup team In the “hope” the nrl may take notice.
I see it as another avenue to get to an NRL license. If they're just waiting for VLandys to quit then they could be waiting a bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see it as another avenue to get to an NRL license. If they're just waiting for VLandys to quit then they could be waiting a bit.
Well Grant told the WARL to concentrate on jnrs as a step to a club. Cumins has pumped millions into jnr development, guess what still no sign of a club 9 years later. you’d be nuts to spend on rugby league in WA without a clad iron agreement for a club,