What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

jim_57

Staff member
Origin in Perth 2025 and 2028. Just announced

That’s 4 of the next 5 neutral venues locked in with 2024 & 2026 in Melbourne. 2027 still open for Auckland or Adelaide If that falls through.

Also this article says that it is NRL policy to have one neutral venue each series. I know that has been apparent for a while but I’ve never seen it actually mentioned that it was an official policy.

Last edited:

Bukowski

Juniors
That’s 4 of the next 5 neutral venues locked in with 2024 & 2026 in Melbourne. 2027 still open for Auckland or Adelaide If that falls through.

Also this article says that it is NRL policy to have one neutral venue each series. I know that has been apparent for a while but I’ve never seen it actually mentioned that it was an official policy.
I don't like the neutral venue every year. Every third year would be ideal. Sydney and Brisbane deserve/need two home games every three years at least

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Agreed. Pirates is a ridiculous name. And yes it should be a stand alone club.
Raiders is a synonym for Pirate, already taken. I guess they could use Marauders. That's more intimidating like he hoped the name could be. Or could be return of the Reds name and jersey. Or could be a whole new name, something WA-related?

jim_57

Staff member
What’s the issue with super rugby?

Probably wouldn’t be an issue but QLD Reds are a Super Rugby team. They play in Maroon and have a koala as a logo but name would be the same. If it was an issue they could just be ‘WA/Perth Red Kangaroos’, no more of a mouthful than Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs or North Queensland Cowboys.

Brian potter

First Grade
Probably wouldn’t be an issue but QLD Reds are a Super Rugby team. They play in Maroon and have a koala as a logo but name would be the same. If it was an issue they could just be ‘WA/Perth Red Kangaroos’, no more of a mouthful than Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs or North Queensland Cowboys.
Shouldn’t really be an issue when you’ve got the Brisbane/Denver/London broncos or the North Queensland/Dallas cowboys etc?

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Shouldn’t really be an issue when you’ve got the Brisbane/Denver/London broncos or the North Queensland/Dallas cowboys etc?
Teams sharing a name in the same Australian sporting market is more an issue and probably not ideal, compared to different leagues in different countries. But Richmond Tigers and Wests Tigers don't have an issue.

Worse/weirder tho, in the QLD Cup you have both Wynnum-Manly and Tweed Heads sharing the Seagulls name without issue. I can't think of a league in the world where teams within the league share the same name.

Pippen94

First Grade
Teams sharing a name in the same Australian sporting market is more an issue and probably not ideal, compared to different leagues in different countries. But Richmond Tigers and Wests Tigers don't have an issue.

Worse/weirder tho, in the QLD Cup you have both Wynnum-Manly and Tweed Heads sharing the Seagulls name without issue. I can't think of a league in the world where teams within the league share the same name.

Leagues with p/r would have this