What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Teams sharing a name in the same Australian sporting market is more an issue and probably not ideal, compared to different leagues in different countries. But Richmond Tigers and Wests Tigers don't have an issue.

Worse/weirder tho, in the QLD Cup you have both Wynnum-Manly and Tweed Heads sharing the Seagulls name without issue. I can't think of a league in the world where teams within the league share the same name.
In the NSWRL there's the Asquith, Wentworthville and Western Suburbs Magpies, and a few years ago they all had teams in the same competition.

Nuke

Staff member
If 'Pirates' are a bit cartoonish, then how about something mythical but along the same lines. Again, not a serious suggestion, but this would at least be unique!

WCK logo.jpg

* Please note: Design was a quickly done one today. It'd definitely need cleaning up if it were to be a serious consideration.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If 'Pirates' are a bit cartoonish, then how about something mythical but along the same lines. Again, not a serious suggestion, but this would at least be unique!

View attachment 77837

* Please note: Design was a quickly done one today. It'd definitely need cleaning up if it were to be a serious consideration.
'Unique' lol-
1691683016458.png
https://www.nhl.com/kraken

It's even funnier when you consider that not only did you independently come up with the same brand concept as the newest American major league team, but you also independently came up with the concept of the main logo being the first letter of the team's location formed out of tentacles.

I guess the lesson is that almost nothing is truly unique anymore. If you can imagine it then somebody else, somewhere else, at some other time, has imagined it as well, and then it becomes a question of if they made their idea a reality, or if you can improve on it.

Nuke

Staff member
Hand on my heart, I've never heard of them. However I stand by my description of 'unique'. Only one other professional sporting team on Earth would be using the same moniker. None in the Australian sporting landscape, likewise none in any professional (or even amateur?) Rugby League comp in the world.

But regardless, as I originally stated: My 'suggestion' was not a serious one. Just a bit of fun for me, if nothing else.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hand on my heart, I've never heard of them. However I stand by my description of 'unique'. Only one other professional sporting team on Earth would be using the same moniker. None in the Australian sporting landscape, likewise none in any professional (or even amateur?) Rugby League comp in the world.

But regardless, as I originally stated: My 'suggestion' was not a serious one. Just a bit of fun for me, if nothing else.
I totally believe that you hadn't heard of them, that's why I said you came up with it independently, but I think it's a stretch to say that it's still unique because a single professional team uses it.

That single team is a member of one of the Big Four Major Leagues in the US which has a massive international audience. Whether we like it or not Krakens will be associated with Seattle ice hockey from this point on, and that association will be pointed out whenever somebody else tries to use a similar brand.

If we use the names of Australian wildlife then it'll be pretty unique.

Western Australia Reds. Red kangaroo.

Why not just the West Coast or Western Australian or Perth Rugby League club/Team?
Then let the nickname moniker grow organically.

Everyone craps on about 'bring back the bears'. Let's bring back the reds!

I'd like to see the return of the Reds. They weren't given a fair go in the 90s. Bring 'em back back!

A big boxing kangaroo mascot would be great at games. All sorts of merchandise could be sold. At each home game the Reds mascot can have a mock boxing bout with the away team's mascot. The kids watching will love that.

DIOGENES

Juniors

View attachment 77837

No that’s no good - it reminds me of Princess Clara in Drawn Together

The Great Dane

First Grade
The market research would need to be done, but I doubt that the Western Reds brand is recognisable enough to be particularly valuable anymore, and I don't think that it'd translate well in the modern market anyway. They'd almost certainly be better keeping it as a heritage brand that they cart out on special occasions for niche nostalgia sales.

A fresh start is almost certainly the way to go, and if I was them I'd probably pull the old fan vote out for the free publicity and engagement.