What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

greenBV4

Bench
Shouldn’t really be an issue when you’ve got the Brisbane/Denver/London broncos or the North Queensland/Dallas cowboys etc?
Argument could be that those are overseas leagues

But then we also have tigers, Bulldogs and (almost) eagles in both the NRL and AFL

As long as they aren't calling themselves "The" Reds and have a location as a differential it should be fine

Pippen94

First Grade
Raiders is a synonym for Pirate, already taken. I guess they could use Marauders. That's more intimidating like he hoped the name could be. Or could be return of the Reds name and jersey. Or could be a whole new name, something WA-related?

Reds are a failed brand.

Brian potter

First Grade
Teams sharing a name in the same Australian sporting market is more an issue and probably not ideal, compared to different leagues in different countries. But Richmond Tigers and Wests Tigers don't have an issue.
can’t remember there being an issue when the western reds existed alongside the queensland reds?
Worse/weirder tho, in the QLD Cup you have both Wynnum-Manly and Tweed Heads sharing the Seagulls name without issue. I can't think of a league in the world where teams within the league share the same name.
haha!!
that is weird.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Reds are a failed brand.
Agree. Exanple....Gold Coast Giants to Gold Coast-Tweed Heads Seagulls to Gold Coast Chargers to Gold Coast Titans. All different organizations, corp entities. So I'd assune the next Perth bid will be a whole new corp entity and thus would seek a new identity, name, colors.

Pippen94

First Grade
Agree. Exanple....Gold Coast Giants to Gold Coast-Tweed Heads Seagulls to Gold Coast Chargers to Gold Coast Titans. All different organizations, corp entities. So I'd assune the next Perth bid will be a whole new corp entity and thus would seek a new identity, name, colors.

Yep. That's what pirate group said

jim_57

Staff member
Shouldn’t really be an issue when you’ve got the Brisbane/Denver/London broncos or the North Queensland/Dallas cowboys etc?

Shouldn’t be. There was a bid called Brisbane Bombers so if that wasn’t squashed I’m not sure if QLD Reds would have much of a case trying to stop the use of Reds. They’ve co-existed in the 90s previously too.

Bukowski

Juniors
Teams sharing a name in the same Australian sporting market is more an issue and probably not ideal, compared to different leagues in different countries. But Richmond Tigers and Wests Tigers don't have an issue.

Worse/weirder tho, in the QLD Cup you have both Wynnum-Manly and Tweed Heads sharing the Seagulls name without issue. I can't think of a league in the world where teams within the league share the same name.
Just last year you also had the Wests Magpies and Wenty Magpies in the NSWRL KOE.

MugaB

Coach
That's an old Fremantle Roosters jersey. An NRLWA club.
Im not exactly sure thats right, yes there is a fremantle roosters, but being sponsored by western union back a few decades ago... and Sydney roosters also being sponsored by Western union... kinda have to bs on that one..
Most of the fremantle roosters gear ive seen has cash converters, but thats all recently tho

Nuke

Staff member
Im not exactly sure thats right, yes there is a fremantle roosters, but being sponsored by western union back a few decades ago... and Sydney roosters also being sponsored by Western union... kinda have to bs on that one..
Most of the fremantle roosters gear ive seen has cash converters, but thats all recently tho
Recently, yes, but back in the last of the heavy cotton footy jersey days (early 2000's) Freo Roosters also had Western Union as a major sponsor.

I've been in and around local WA League since 1993. You might have to trust me on this one!

*Edit: If you zoom in on the fella's right hand, just behind it you can partially see the old WARL badge (logo attached below).
Warl_logo.png

MugaB

Coach
Recently, yes, but back in the last of the heavy cotton footy jersey days (early 2000's) Freo Roosters also had Western Union as a major sponsor.

I've been in and around local WA League since 1993. You might have to trust me on this one!

*Edit: If you zoom in on the fella's right hand, just behind it you can partially see the old WARL badge (logo attached below).
View attachment 77810
My quote still stands.... only 2!