What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Pippen94

First Grade
Sure everything is relative in that sense but you misunderstand. Rugby Union; or at least Super Rugby, isn’t as popular as the NRL. Not even close. So what use is referencing it in comparison to the potential of a NRL franchise?

By which metric is nrl bigger than rugby in Perth?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Sydney are feeling the love of Perth’s legions of rugby league fans — and a pair of Rabbitohs stars have backed the city to one day home its own NRL franchise.

Approximately 1000 fans took the trip to McGillivray Oval on Wednesday to watch the Rabbitohs’ training, ahead of this Saturday’s NRL double-header at Optus Stadium.

There has been growing appetite for a Perth-based NRL team for some time, with legendary Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett telling The West Australian last week he backed a WA Government bid to field a team in the national competition.

Local fans embraced South Sydney’s presence on Wednesday, with star full-back Latrell Mitchell’s presence drawing a cast of hundreds in the hunt for his autograph.

Centre Campbell Graham, who has scored 15 tries in 17 games for South Sydney this season, said he was taken aback by the turn-out to their training session and said it was proof Perth was ready for its own team.

“I think the turnout today of South fans shows that there is love for local league over here and there’s definitely an opportunity for it to grow over here,” Graham said.

“We love coming over here, it’s a beautiful part of the world, a beautiful part of Australia and I think they’re more than capable of hosting a rugby league team.

“If you look at the Redcliffe Dolphins this year, they’ve slotted in no dramas at all, a lot of people thought that they would struggle with performances and they proved a lot of people wrong.

“It probably shows that there is the talent out there across Australia to host more rugby league teams and the more teams and clubs there are around Australia and around the world, the better for our game, the better for the competition, so I’m fully for it.”

Forward Keaon Koloamatangi echoed his teammate’s words, with the New South Wales second rower throwing his support behind Perth having their own team.

“I’ve played here in the NRL Nines when I was a bit younger and they had a mad fanbase out here. I didn’t know much about Perth, but the last couple of times I’ve been here, you could tell that they’re crazy about rugby league.

“You see the Dolphins and how much they’ve bought into the game and it’ll be pretty good to see a team across Australia come to the NRL.”

Pippen94

First Grade
South Sydney are feeling the love of Perth’s legions of rugby league fans — and a pair of Rabbitohs stars have backed the city to one day home its own NRL franchise.

Approximately 1000 fans took the trip to McGillivray Oval on Wednesday to watch the Rabbitohs’ training, ahead of this Saturday’s NRL double-header at Optus Stadium.

There has been growing appetite for a Perth-based NRL team for some time, with legendary Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett telling The West Australian last week he backed a WA Government bid to field a team in the national competition.

Local fans embraced South Sydney’s presence on Wednesday, with star full-back Latrell Mitchell’s presence drawing a cast of hundreds in the hunt for his autograph.

Centre Campbell Graham, who has scored 15 tries in 17 games for South Sydney this season, said he was taken aback by the turn-out to their training session and said it was proof Perth was ready for its own team.

“I think the turnout today of South fans shows that there is love for local league over here and there’s definitely an opportunity for it to grow over here,” Graham said.

“We love coming over here, it’s a beautiful part of the world, a beautiful part of Australia and I think they’re more than capable of hosting a rugby league team.

“If you look at the Redcliffe Dolphins this year, they’ve slotted in no dramas at all, a lot of people thought that they would struggle with performances and they proved a lot of people wrong.

“It probably shows that there is the talent out there across Australia to host more rugby league teams and the more teams and clubs there are around Australia and around the world, the better for our game, the better for the competition, so I’m fully for it.”

Forward Keaon Koloamatangi echoed his teammate’s words, with the New South Wales second rower throwing his support behind Perth having their own team.

“I’ve played here in the NRL Nines when I was a bit younger and they had a mad fanbase out here. I didn’t know much about Perth, but the last couple of times I’ve been here, you could tell that they’re crazy about rugby league.

“You see the Dolphins and how much they’ve bought into the game and it’ll be pretty good to see a team across Australia come to the NRL.”

Nothing article

Perth Red

Post Whore
As perth continues to rapidly grow its great to see the new suburbs taking up rugby league and new clubs starting up.

Alkimos club leading the charge for rugby league in WA​

The FIFA Women’s World Cup may have WA’s attention in women’s sport but a northern suburbs club is leading the charge for another sports code.

WA has been without a national rugby league team since the days of the Western Reds but State of Origin matches in Perth have drawn sellout crowds.

The Alkimos Tigers club hopes these games bring about a surge in its numbers and be a precursor to WA re-entering the national rugby league stage.

-ADVERTISEMENT-

Based in Heath Park, Eglinton, the club started in 2016 and now has close to 300 members aged from four to 60.

President Zoe Becker said the Tigers started with just six junior teams in 2016 but that number had since doubled.

A national sports participation report released by Roy Morgan last month showed rugby league was the 15th most popular sport for children aged 6 to 13.

The Alkimos Tigers introduced a senior men’s team in 2019 and a senior women’s team in 2020. The seniors teams held their first home games at Heath Park on July 8.

“Even though WA has traditionally been an AFL State, rugby league is definitely on the rise,” Ms Becker said.

“Having hosted the State of Origin last year and with the four NRL teams heading west this August, it really helps bring awareness to our game and generates excitement in the community.”

Alkimos Tigers club captain and past NRLW premiership and World Cup player Anneka Stephens said she loved giving back to a grass-roots community club.

“Being part of a club like Alkimos Tigers is so important to me as even though WA is not a traditional NRL State — yet — being able to show my children and other younger players, especially our girls, that you can make it to the highest level means a lot,” she said.

The Alkimos Tigers are based in the heart of the Amberton Beach development.

Developer Stockland allows the club to use the community hub as their club canteen and awarded it a community grant to help it buy playing tags for the women’s team.

Stockland WA communities general manager Col Dutton said the Alkimos Tigers home ground was important to the community.

“The Alkimos Tigers is inclusive of age and gender and form part of the heart and soul of the Amberton Beach community,” he said.

“Heath Park is used by the club all year round and it’s great to see the grant helping to support the women’s league tag team.”

Ms Becker said the not-for-profit club relied on grants and volunteers to sustain its operations.

“Receiving a grant like this means we can keep our fees to a minimum and keep people in the sport, so we are very grateful,” she said.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Western Australia ripe for NRL expansion and can learn from Dolphins success says Wayne Bennett​

The CEO of NRL expansion team the Dolphins says a WA franchise makes “perfect sense” but would need the salary cap and recruiting concessions they never received.

Terry Reader will bring the Redcliffe team from Brisbane’s northern corridor to Perth for an August double-header at Optus Stadium and hopes it becomes an annual trip against a Perth-based team in the future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The 2023 NRL Perth double header attracted a record crowd of 45,814 rugby league fans to Optus stadium. This is the largest attendance for a NRL event in perth eclipsing the 38,824 in 2018. Just another strong message that Perth is ready and waiting to host its own NRL club.

Top 10 Record RL attendances in Perth
2019 SOO 59,721 (sold out)
2022 SOO 59,358 (sold out)
2023 Nrl Double header 45,814
2018 Nrl Double header 38,824
1995 Western Reds 24,932
2020 NRL nines 24,867
1995 Western Reds 20,985
2016 Kangaroos v Kiwis 20,283 (sold out)
2015 NRL game 20,272 (sold out)
2014 NRL game 20,267 (sold out)

Colk

First Grade
By which metric is nrl bigger than rugby in Perth?!

Do you want to one day address a point or do you want to talk like a politician?

Nowhere in Australia where there’s been a Super Rugby side as well as a Rugby League side in the same location has the Super Rugby side been more popular than the NRL side. Put a side in Perth and it will be the same thing

Now you can call that coincidental, but I would suggest that Super Rugby just doesn’t have a big audience or marketability. Same as A-League doesn’t have a big following and a few other competitions.

That’s the point: Rugby Union is the least of NRL’s concerns.

Pippen94

First Grade
The 2023 NRL Perth double header attracted a record crowd of 45,814 rugby league fans to Optus stadium. This is the largest attendance for a NRL event in perth eclipsing the 38,824 in 2018. Just another strong message that Perth is ready and waiting to host its own NRL club.

Top 10 Record RL attendances in Perth
2019 SOO 59,721 (sold out)
2022 SOO 59,358 (sold out)
2023 Nrl Double header 45,814
2018 Nrl Double header 38,824
1995 Western Reds 24,932
2020 NRL nines 24,867
1995 Western Reds 20,985
2016 Kangaroos v Kiwis 20,283 (sold out)
2015 NRL game 20,272 (sold out)
2014 NRL game 20,267 (sold out)

What attendance did last stand alone NRL game get in Perth?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Do you want to one day address a point or do you want to talk like a politician?

Nowhere in Australia where there’s been a Super Rugby side as well as a Rugby League side in the same location has the Super Rugby side been more popular than the NRL side. Put a side in Perth and it will be the same thing

Now you can call that coincidental, but I would suggest that Super Rugby just doesn’t have a big audience or marketability. Same as A-League doesn’t have a big following and a few other competitions.

That’s the point: Rugby Union is the least of NRL’s concerns.

NRL isn't big in perth

Pippen94

First Grade
Doesn’t need to be, nrl is relatively a small pro comp, you only need to be reasonably popular to make it work. Most clubs are profitable on 14k crowd Avgs And a $13mill football club revenue,

..clubs have gone broke with those numbers too. Get a backer..

Perth Red

Post Whore
..clubs have gone broke with those numbers too. Get a backer..
Not witha $17mill nrl grant they haven’t. The nrl announced all clubs as profitable last year. Some clubs in Sydney have pitiful fc revenue levels but still managed to be profitable. We got this.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Isnt the point of the broadcast deal to also support the finances of the NRL clubs, revenue sharing? A bunch of that to spread around to grassroots but also to prop up clubs operating at or near loss.

But the NRL needs to ensure the next deal brings a lot more in than the last deal they accepted.