What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

The Reds were cut to make way for a Melbourne team. A Melbourne team was request by Foxtel / News Limited as part of the competition merger as they didn't have any penetrations into the Victorian market ... they didn't have the AFL at that stage.
That's one reason. The other reason is News Ltd didn't want to prop up a Perth-based team while establishing one in Melbourne.

It's sad because Perth does have potential and has done more for the game to warrant one, but the big wigs chose Melbourne due to demographics. The irony of all this is @Perth Red supports Melbourne Storm, despite them being the biggest obstacle in the way of Perth having its own team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's not what I said. Go back and read what you quoted to see what I actually said. Specifically the part about the Cowboys needing to take out a loan to build a stadium at Willows.

The Western Reds didn't take out a loan to build a stadium. They played at a cricket ground that was built decades earlier by the WACA.

To argue that the Cowboys having to cover the costs of building a stadium from scratch at a discontinued horse racing venue is "exact same" as playing out of a cricket ground that was built decades earlier is just plain dumb.

Knock off the lies.

The Cowboys generate over $22m from football operations. Only the Broncos generate more money from this stream. You know this as you've seen the annual reports and posted the figures on here.

I've seen you argue that a Perth-based club will be able to generate as much money from football operations as the Cowboys do.

Perth Reds were cut in October 1997 because they were financially destitute and lacked a viable fanbase.

Are you stupid enough to think News Ltd and the ARL were going to keep funnelling money into a team that averaged 8.5k to its games, despite having a strong roster?

The only reason the Cowboys made the cut was because they had a strong fanbase. Stop blaming everyone else for Perth's refusal to support the Reds when the club needed it.
Did nrl cowboys get funding from the LC last year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very good result that.
hopefully there are some players the club scouts think might be up for further transition.
Hopefully, but this is where the problems start though. Not much else for them in WA RL so off to the force to play union or have to pack up and move east for the family.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I know as much as you. Your opinion of them is no better than mine. Got booted due to wet weather then couldn't even stay in a merger.
Laughing stock
The Bears didn’t book North Sydney Oval as they thought Bluetongue Stadium would be finished, a mistake with building materials in the roof and then constant wet weather delayed the Stadiums completion as a result of this the Bears played the whole 1999 season away with many games played in Qld.
As for the finer details of the merger, that was a takeover NOT a merger, you only had to look at the colours of the Northern Eagles and the players they retained from Manly Warringah and the players who they released from North Sydney.
The North Sydney Chairman at the time signed papers over to Manly that if the merger failed the NRL license would revert back to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.
That was all Eagles’ stalwarts like Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton needed, mind you the former Bears Chairman now also had a new high paying job at Manly Leagues Club as well as driving around in a brand spanking new red mazarati, so he did very well for himself.

Last edited:
Hopefully, but this is where the problems start though. Not much else for them in WA RL so off to the force to play union or have to pack up and move east for the family.

What's wrong with having to move to the east coast?

Hundreds of Queenslanders had no option but to head to Sydney or Melbourne to get a start in the NRL.

Just as many New Zealanders have been forced to travel to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Townsville for a chance to further their career.

MugaB

Coach
Good call
Not really, isn't there a perf or wa thread for all these congratulation posts... no one on a expansion forum cares unless they are actually from their state, not that PR cares, he just wants to double post and blanket every thread with his "WA is great at league propaganda".. i get how he is devoted to his local leagues but this isn't expansion news, its borderline trolling

Pneuma

First Grade
Not really, isn't there a perf or wa thread for all these congratulation posts... no one on a expansion forum cares unless they are actually from their state, not that PR cares, he just wants to double post and blanket every thread with his "WA is great at league propaganda".. i get how he is devoted to his local leagues but this isn't expansion news, its borderline trolling
I’m with you 100%. He’s the first one to call out people for being off topic yet does it himself all the time.

MugaB

Coach
I’m with you 100%. He’s the first one to call out people for being off topic yet does it himself all the time.
Ohhhh... but theres a correlation between claiming or congratulating a WA player, and a WA expansion bid.... they might one day play in that side.... ffs

docbrown

Coach
As much as Perth Red is an annoying merkin, there were some good FTA ratings figures from Perth.

The NRL rated at 42% of the AFL grand final rating. Considering that Perth were effectively neutrals for both games, that's a decent base to build from. Also the 16-39 demos in Perth (out of all FTA ratings) were higher for NRL than the AFL (23.5% to 17%).

But if you compare the interest in those demos directly it's 31,000 to 53,000 viewers - so NRL has 60% of the AFL's interest in that demo category.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would you like me to comment every time you post something in here totally irrelevant to the thread? It’ll keep me busy but I can!

Just trying to help the east coast ignorance about WA not producing players. Education is Important!

Bukowski

Juniors
As much as Perth Red is an annoying merkin, there were some good FTA ratings figures from Perth.

The NRL rated at 42% of the AFL grand final rating. Considering that Perth were effectively neutrals for both games, that's a decent base to build from. Also the 16-39 demos in Perth (out of all FTA ratings) were higher for NRL than the AFL (23.5% to 17%).

But if you compare the interest in those demos directly it's 31,000 to 53,000 viewers - so NRL has 60% of the AFL's interest in that demo category.
I'm sure the Wallabies last night rated higher.

Latest posts