What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
There're so many options. Pink or brown for a start, both of which can be great when done well. Orange, green, and purple schemes are under represented in the NRL and Australian sport in general as well. There're a bunch of classic sports schemes that aren't represented in the NRL either like black and yellow, red and black, yellow and red, black and white, orange and blue, green and yellow, green and orange, green and white, etc, etc, I could go on forever.

You could easily get away with a red scheme if your heart is set on it as well, though it would probably be wise to use a darker shade like burgundy or blood, or one that's closer to pink or orange on the spectrum, instead of the typical vibrant red shades that the rest of the teams with red in their scheme are using.

The Storm have basically abandoned purple and yellow for purple, silver/white, and navy, and as the saying goes, use it or lose it. So I personally wouldn't begrudge an expansion team if they went that route.

You could even explore playing with tones (ochre, pastels, neon, etc, etc), fabrics, and textures. The potential is only limited by your imagination and that that already exists in the NRL.
I said decent colours! Pink or brown are neither. That’s why no one uses them. Orange, purple and green in current clubs colours, Sure orange and green could be used together but yuck! only nice brand colours I can think that go together are green and white or silver. They won’t use black and yellow as state rep side colours. Red and black bears will kick up about. So then you’re Into whacky polarising colour schemes.

im going off the colours of the current pirate badge, which gives a nod to the western reds brand colours. Sure if it’s not pirates then it could be anything. At the moment the pirates brands has chosen red, black,gold and white in the badge colours. It’s just unfortunate the dolphins have got in first and plagiarised them when they could have gone with red and silver or white like their historic brand is. They didn’t need to add black into what they had. so f**k them take it back with different shades and predominantly home black jersey, they will stick with predominantly red jersey. We could drop the red altogether and just have black, old gold and white I suppose.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go with Black and Yellow, like dane brought up some months back the Pittsburgh Pirates colour scheme looks the best
It’s the WA state teams colours, I can’t see us using it for that reason. Black and old gold maybe.

jim_57

Staff member
What colours would you suggest? Reality is most useable ones are already in use in some ways. Brown is horrible so no wonder hardly any sports club uses it. i can’t think of a decent colour not used in nrl currently?

I said decent colours! Pink or brown are neither. That’s why no one uses them. Orange, purple and green in current clubs colours, Sure orange and green could be used together but yuck! only nice brand colours I can think that go together are green and white or silver. They won’t use black and yellow as state rep side colours. Red and black bears will kick up about. So then you’re Into whacky polarising colour schemes.

im going off the colours of the current pirate badge, which gives a nod to the western reds brand colours. Sure if it’s not pirates then it could be anything. At the moment the pirates brands has chosen red, black,gold and white in the badge colours. It’s just unfortunate the dolphins have got in first and plagiarised them when they could have gone with red and silver or white like their historic brand is. They didn’t need to add black into what they had. so f**k them take it back with different shades and predominantly home black jersey, they will stick with predominantly red jersey. We could drop the red altogether and just have black, old gold and white I suppose.

Lol what?

Everyone should just play in different shades respectable white/grey/black, maybe a nice navy but nothing too lairy.
1696468844712.jpeg
images

Yuck.
Brown & White looks good too as does any number of unused combination of Orange/Yellow/Green/Red/Purple/Black/White and yes even Blue that would be unique in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to see WA players making it to international level, women’s game growing really strongly over here.

2023 WA International call ups
Kennedy Cherrington - Australia
Hayley Hifo - Tonga
Anneka Stephens - Cook Islands
Shanice Parker - NZ
Destiny Brill - Samoa

Royce Hunt - Samoa
Waqa Blake - Fiji

Last edited:
It’s just unfortunate the dolphins have got in first and plagiarised them when they could have gone with red and silver or white like their historic brand is. They didn’t need to add black into what they had. so f**k them take it back with different shades and predominantly home black jersey, they will stick with predominantly red jersey. We could drop the red altogether and just have black, old gold and white I suppose.

Not everything is about Perth!

The sense of entitlement you've displayed in this post is borderline insane. You expect established clubs from rugby league heartland to bend over backwards for a proposed team from a fumbleball city. There's no guarantee the Pirates will get an NRL licence.

Dolphins didn't whinge about not being allowed to use their traditional colour scheme of red and white. They have a far greater reason to be upset given their long and storied history.

You're just going to have to accept that Perth is not in any position to make demands on these matters.

Posts like the one you just made are the reason I'm starting to hope Perth never gets a team.

That’s amusing coming from someone who has two nrl teams in his city and wants a third at the expense of cities without one lol

Sigh!

When will you get it through your thick skull that Perth is not a rugby league city and has little to offer the game?

A third Brisbane team will generate more revenue than one from Perth. We know Ch9 prefer a third Brisbane team over one from Perth because it will generate better ratings and more advertising revenue for their network.

Ch9 is a business and need to see a return on their investment. They won't get that with a team in Perth.

Gobsmacked

Bench

🤣🤣🤣
Take what back?
You're not a team!
There's no Pirates..
Have you lost your mind?

Wb1234

Referee
What’s dumb is believing just participation rates equals active supporters of professional sport, it’s beyond simplistic. If your theory was right soccer, basketball and netball top tier clubs would dwarf nrl club attendance. Just because union has more participants Than league in WA doesn’t mean force get bigger crowds than a nrl club will,

part of the reason for the gap is union is more social, university linked and remains an old boys network largely in perth, and nswrl, sorry arlc, has ignored perth for 25 years.
I’ve got 50 year old colleagues who struggle to walk up a flight of stairs still playing local union lol
Auskick

Canard

Immortal
Sigh!

When will you get it through your thick skull that Perth is not a rugby league city and has little to offer the game?

A third Brisbane team will generate more revenue than one from Perth. We know Ch9 prefer a third Brisbane team over one from Perth because it will generate better ratings and more advertising revenue for their network.

Ch9 is a business and need to see a return on their investment. They won't get that with a team in Perth.
And why would you give a f**k about what C9 want?

Canard

Immortal

This is a cooked take! Why would you want to create brand confusion??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sigh!

When will you stop being so arsey and accept some people want to se the game grow into new markets and some think the game is fine as is and should just stick to mainly two states. I’m happy for club 18 to be anywhere other than Brisbane or Sydney.

if ch9 said they’d prefer bears back in ns would you be supporting their reintroduction? I suspect not becasue you are hypocrite. youve been calling for culling Sydney teams for years but now want to see more teams in brisbane at the expense of growing game.

MugaB

Coach
When will you stop being so arsey and accept some people want to se the game grow into new markets and some think the game is fine as is and should just stick to mainly two states. I’m happy for club 18 to be anywhere other than Brisbane or Sydney.

if ch9 said they’d prefer bears back in ns would you be supporting their reintroduction? I suspect not becasue you are hypocrite. youve been calling for culling Sydney teams for years but now want to see more teams in brisbane at the expense of growing game.
Howbout we hope to get both or all, f**k this 20 team mentality, lets push for 24, then all bases are covered, bears, pirates, jets, bulls, rams, firehawks, png etc
Colors aren't an issue, ive said for a long time choise the black and gold of WA add a tertiary color that sets them apart...
WA state isn't a club, so as long as it doesn't conflict with QLD or NSW wont matter what color the pirates pick, my preference is go the black and yellow, with an orange trim

Perth Red

Post Whore
Howbout we hope to get both or all, f**k this 20 team mentality, lets push for 24, then all bases are covered, bears, pirates, jets, bulls, rams, firehawks, png etc
Colors aren't an issue, ive said for a long time choise the black and gold of WA add a tertiary color that sets them apart...
WA state isn't a club, so as long as it doesn't conflict with QLD or NSW wont matter what color the pirates pick, my preference is go the black and yellow, with an orange trim
I don’t disagree, to me a 22 or 24 team two conference comp should be the long term vision for the game. But alas this is rugby league and apart from a brief moment in time in the late 80’s early 90’s it has never shown such ambition, courage or business ability to reach such lofty goals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
we’ve dabbled with similar colours with the pirates sg ball Jerseys and they looked a bit shit tbh

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpeg
    IMG_1493.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 2

How does placing an NRL team in Perth "grow" the game?

Melbourne has had a professional RL team for a quarter of a century. The Storm has been the most successful team in the NRL over that period.

Despite the Storm's onfield success, participation levels for RL in Victoria are shithouse!

When this inconvenient fact is pointed out you get all pissy and say it's the ARLC's fault for not investing in Victoria's local competitions. Your sooky "look over there" retort is proof that adding professional rugby league teams to cities where the game is a minority sport won't do shit unless hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on developing it at the grassroots level. AwFuL have done that in NSW and Queensland since the 90s for very little return.

You're off with the fairies if you think that adding an NRL club in Perth will lead to RL becoming a major sport in WA.

Let's get one thing straight. You're not really interested in growing the game. That's just an excuse you're using to get a team in Perth. If you truly cared about growing the game then you wouldn't take the piss out of the PNG bid. If you cannot see how strengthening RL in PNG will grow the game at the international level then there's no hope for you. I've seen you sook over Origin having higher status than Test RL, yet now you're whinging about the NRL trying to help the game grow outside of Australia.

We've got a plan to grow Test RL across the Pacific and your response is to heap shit on it because you view it as a threat to Perth getting the 18th licence!

In the past I did think Sydney had too many teams. If I was creating the competition from scratch then I wouldn't have nine teams in one city, but that's a hypothetical that has no bearing with reality. As long as the nine clubs in Sydney are viable then they have a right to compete in the NRL.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You are the only person in the world who would consider any of those colours or combinations whacky or polarising. Every one of those combinations I brought up are used by some of the most famous and successful brands in world sport lol.

It isn't even hard to find 'decent' examples of these colours in use, even pink and brown (Inter Miami, St. Pauli, Cleveland, etc) which are harder to pull off.
This is all just nonsense post hoc justification to do something very stupid because you are married to a brand that barely exists at all, and are personally incapable of envisioning anything different.
It’s the WA state teams colours, I can’t see us using it for that reason. Black and old gold maybe.
Who f**king cares!

Plenty of pro team schemes are influenced by state or official colours. Just in the NRL alone the Broncos, Raiders, Storm, both the Warriors schemes, and almost certainly others, include official colours as elements of their brands.

This is only a problem in your head.

Latest posts