What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

There's three times as many people in Western Australia playing rugby union (12,550) than rugby league (4,100).

In 2018, 2019 and 2021, the Western Force averaged 10,808, 8,430 and 8,275 to Perth Rectangular Stadium. That's similar to the Western Reds crowds in 1996 and 1997.

A NSWRL game at the WACA drew 21,992 in 1989. Similar numbers attended games in 1992 and 1993.

Since 2013 we've had 13 NRL games played at Perth Rectangular Stadium with an average attendance of 14,225. This number is similar to the 13,390 the Western Reds drew in 1995 with a reasonably competitive team.

It's reasonable to estimate that a Perth-based NRL team will average 15,000 in its first season, then drop down to 12,000 if they struggle over a number of seasons. If they're a powerhouse on the field then their numbers should at least match the Melbourne Storm at around 16,000.

Can a Perth-based team generate enough revenue from ticketing with 12,000 active fans to break even?

My guess is they would generate a similar revenue stream to the Cronulla Sharks at the reduced capacity Woolooware site, albeit with the burden of with paying rental to VenuesWest. I cannot see a Perth-based team generating an average attendance of 18,000 to the dilapidated Perth Rectangular Stadium. Its capacity is only 20,600 and the corporate facilities are not up to NRL standard.

I'd love to see the business plan for this proposed team. It doesn't have a high performance training centre and will have enormous difficulty luring players away from Brisbane and Sydney. Melbourne Storm will always be chosen over Perth by players overlooked by the clubs from Brisbane and Sydney because it's on the east coast and a contender for the premiership.

In my opinion, Perth is clearly the weakest potential bid and at long odds of getting the 18th licence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's three times as many people in Western Australia playing rugby union (12,550) than rugby league (4,100).

In 2018, 2019 and 2021, the Western Force averaged 10,808, 8,430 and 8,275 to Perth Rectangular Stadium. That's similar to the Western Reds crowds in 1996 and 1997.

A NSWRL game at the WACA drew 21,992 in 1989. Similar numbers attended games in 1992 and 1993.

Since 2013 we've had 13 NRL games played at Perth Rectangular Stadium with an average attendance of 14,225. This number is similar to the 13,390 the Western Reds drew in 1995 with a reasonably competitive team.

It's reasonable to estimate that a Perth-based NRL team will average 15,000 in its first season, then drop down to 12,000 if they struggle over a number of seasons. If they're a powerhouse on the field then their numbers should at least match the Melbourne Storm at around 16,000.

Can a Perth-based team generate enough revenue from ticketing with 12,000 active fans to break even?

My guess is they would generate a similar revenue stream to the Cronulla Sharks at the reduced capacity Woolooware site, albeit with the burden of with paying rental to VenuesWest. I cannot see a Perth-based team generating an average attendance of 18,000 to the dilapidated Perth Rectangular Stadium. Its capacity is only 20,600 and the corporate facilities are not up to NRL standard.

I'd love to see the business plan for this proposed team. It doesn't have a high performance training centre and will have enormous difficulty luring players away from Brisbane and Sydney. Melbourne Storm will always be chosen over Perth by players overlooked by the clubs from Brisbane and Sydney because it's on the east coast and a contender for the premiership.

In my opinion, Perth is clearly the weakest potential bid and at long odds of getting the 18th licence.
You’re comparing apples and oranges again. How many registered soccer players or netball or basketball players are there in nsw compared to rl players? a lot more.

Interest at grassroots does not = following of top tier.

Nrl is currently far more appealing and stronger than super rugby. Have some faith in your sport!

Not to mention after 30 years with no top tier sport what do you expect re playing numbers? We’ve had 10k male registered players in the past with half the population size of today. No reason we can’t rebuild to that with a club giving the sport the media And resources needed to make rugby league relevant in WA once again. That’s the same number of registered players as cronulla and st George regions. more than illawarra region etc.

as for the busines case, yep if it doesn’t stack up then we shouldn’t be entered. No one wants to se a club fail and have to wait another 30 years before NRL actually becomes a national comp again. Hopefully between the consortium of millionaire owners and the backing of the WA govt it stacks up. None of us know that yet.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Not so much talking about yesterday. In general they were always looked at as the losers of the comp. With Wests.
It's not a great brand
f**k off, what do you know about it, they weren't losers, they were perennial in choking, thats not the same thing... they were constantly in the finals, and mostly made a good season rankings, wests were always getting spoons, so no! not the same at all, i reckon they'd be this years version of the roosters or knights

Bukowski

Juniors
f**k off, what do you know about it, they weren't losers, they were perennial in choking, thats not the same thing... they were constantly in the finals, and mostly made a good season rankings, wests were always getting spoons, so no! not the same at all, i reckon they'd be this years version of the roosters or knights
I know as much as you. Your opinion of them is no better than mine. Got booted due to wet weather then couldn't even stay in a merger.
Laughing stock

MugaB

Coach
I know as much as you. Your opinion of them is no better than mine. Got booted due to wet weather then couldn't even stay in a merger.
Laughing stock
As much as i indeed, no dimwit, they couldn't finish building the stadium in the timefrane the newly formed dumb NRL had put on all the clubs, if anything the merger was a stopgap, but was always going to backfire, thise two teams were arch rivals..
They've only nowaday been a laughing stock due to the expansion articles of them s ratching at the door every time theres a licence up for grabs

Bukowski

Juniors
As much as i indeed, no dimwit, they couldn't finish building the stadium in the timefrane the newly formed dumb NRL had put on all the clubs, if anything the merger was a stopgap, but was always going to backfire, thise two teams were arch rivals..
They've only nowaday been a laughing stock due to the expansion articles of them s ratching at the door every time theres a licence up for grabs
Well they weren't thought of as winners. It's not a strong brand

MugaB

Coach
Well they weren't thought of as winners. It's not a strong brand
Its a very strong brand, its also a heritage brand, just like newtown jets, who were also perrenial losers, but when they made finals, they didn't choke they won them

Bukowski

Juniors
Its a very strong brand, its also a heritage brand, just like newtown jets, who were also perrenial losers, but when they made finals, they didn't choke they won them
I disagree. Everyone I knew growing just laughed at them.
They're gone the bears !!

You’re comparing apples and oranges again. How many registered soccer players or netball or basketball players are there in nsw compared to rl players? a lot more.

Interest at grassroots does not = following of top tier.

Comparing the participation rates between rugby league and rugby union isn't "apples and oranges". Both sports are dangerous. People who play either game are at a high risk of sustaining a serious injury.

Basketball and soccer are relatively safe contact sports. Comparing them to either code of rugby is "apples and oranges".

Bukowski

Juniors
Comparing the participation rates between rugby league and rugby union isn't "apples and oranges". Both sports are dangerous. People who play either game are at a high risk of sustaining a serious injury.

Basketball and soccer are relatively safe contact sports. Comparing them to either code of rugby is "apples and oranges".
Yet you bring up perth glory all the time. You forget most of your arguments. Lol

Perth Red

Post Whore

What’s dumb is believing just participation rates equals active supporters of professional sport, it’s beyond simplistic. If your theory was right soccer, basketball and netball top tier clubs would dwarf nrl club attendance. Just because union has more participants Than league in WA doesn’t mean force get bigger crowds than a nrl club will,

part of the reason for the gap is union is more social, university linked and remains an old boys network largely in perth, and nswrl, sorry arlc, has ignored perth for 25 years.
I’ve got 50 year old colleagues who struggle to walk up a flight of stairs still playing local union lol

Last edited:
Yet you bring up perth glory all the time. You forget most of your arguments. Lol
What are you rambling about now?

I only bring up the Perth Glory when people like you say Western Australians are parochial about all of its teams. I also being up the Western Force when that claim is made to prove you're full of shit.

You cannot make a coherent point or follow a discussion.

What’s dumb is believing just participation rates equals active supporters of professional sport, it’s beyond simplistic. If your theory was right soccer, basketball and netball top tier clubs would dwarf nrl club attendance. Just because union has more participants Than league in WA doesn’t mean force get bigger crowds than a nrl club will,

part of the reason for the gap is union is more social, university linked and remains an old boys network largely in perth, and nswrl, sorry arlc, has ignored perth for 25 years.
I’ve got 50 year old colleagues who struggle to walk up a flight of stairs still playing local union lol

You're kidding yourself if you think union shares more in common with soccer than league.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I only bring up the Perth Glory when people like you say Western Australians are parochial about all of its teams. I also being up the Western Force when that claim is made to prove you're full of shit.

Glory when well run we’re the best supported football club in australia, force when union was relevant had 20k plus crowds, wildcats are best supported basketball teams in australia, eagles have one of the biggest memberships in australia, dockers get over 35kmavg, scorchers got sell out crowds before they messed up the comp format.
yep perth gets behind it’s sports teams when the club and sport are well run. But just as quickly turn off if they aren’t. Maybe something to be learnt?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're kidding yourself if you think union shares more in common with soccer than league.
Eh? club union is no where near as Hard as club league. That is just one factor in the participation rates difference as I have pointed out.
A sport largely ignoring a city for 25 years and only using it as an atm is hardly going to have much interest in said sport is it?

Bukowski

Juniors

Look at the glory, don't look at the glory, look at the force, don't look at the force.
You know nothing outside of Brisbane and I'm being generous.

Glory when well run we’re the best supported football club in australia,

That was in the NSL days. The club was dominant on the pitch back in the late 90s and early 00s. I know because I watched the NSL on Optus Vision back in the day.

force when union was relevant had 20k plus crowds

Perth is also dominated by AFL - a battle rugby union side Western Force were never able to overcome due to their lack of success.

The Force boasted huge crowds in their first few years. But season after season of poor results soon saw those crowds dwindle, until they were axed last year because of financial reasons.

wildcats are best supported basketball teams in australia

Wildcats went for more than 30 seasons before dropping out of the top four on the ladder and won more titles than any other club.

Heading into another new year on top of the NBL ladder, the Perth Wildcats are set to break a world record that has stood in professional sports for two decades.

The Wildcats need only to hold on to a top-four position by the end of next month to break the international record of 29 consecutive play-off appearances, set by the Boston Bruins in the National Hockey League from 1968 to 1996, to lift the new global mark to 30.

It is a remarkable streak of sustained success that has endured a raft of both on-court and off-court difficulties, including player roster changes and financial woes, to remain intact.

eagles have one of the biggest memberships in australia, dockers get over 35kmavg, scorchers got sell out crowds before they messed up the comp format.
yep perth gets behind it’s sports teams when the club and sport are well run. But just as quickly turn off if they aren’t. Maybe something to be learnt?

Can you now see why I've been saying a Perth-based team will need a lot of money?

The club will need an operational budget similar to the Broncos to get the best juniors from SEQ before they're picked up by the Broncos, Dolphins, Storm and Roosters. They'll also need to look at Gosford and NZ.

Bukowski

Juniors
That was in the NSL days. The club was dominant on the pitch back in the late 90s and early 00s. I know because I watched the NSL on Optus Vision back in the day.

Perth is also dominated by AFL - a battle rugby union side Western Force were never able to overcome due to their lack of success.​
The Force boasted huge crowds in their first few years. But season after season of poor results soon saw those crowds dwindle, until they were axed last year because of financial reasons.​

Wildcats went for more than 30 seasons before dropping out of the top four on the ladder and won more titles than any other club.

Heading into another new year on top of the NBL ladder, the Perth Wildcats are set to break a world record that has stood in professional sports for two decades.​
The Wildcats need only to hold on to a top-four position by the end of next month to break the international record of 29 consecutive play-off appearances, set by the Boston Bruins in the National Hockey League from 1968 to 1996, to lift the new global mark to 30.​
It is a remarkable streak of sustained success that has endured a raft of both on-court and off-court difficulties, including player roster changes and financial woes, to remain intact.​

Can you now see why I've been saying a Perth-based team will need a lot of money?

The club will need an operational budget similar to the Broncos to get the best juniors from SEQ before they're picked up by the Broncos, Dolphins, Storm and Roosters. They'll also need to look at Gosford and NZ.
No one has said anything different, bad news for you is that they'll have a lot of money.