What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Can someone tell that afl loving simpleton from perth that since 1982 rugby league has added teams to:
Canberra
Illawarra
Brisbane
Newcastle
New Zealand
North Queensland
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Brisbane (north).

9 teams in 41 years = on average 1 new team every 4.5 years. Not bad for an organisation that lacks vision.

Canard

Immortal
How does placing an NRL team in Perth "grow" the game?

Melbourne has had a professional RL team for a quarter of a century. The Storm has been the most successful team in the NRL over that period.

Despite the Storm's onfield success, participation levels for RL in Victoria are shithouse!

When this inconvenient fact is pointed out you get all pissy and say it's the ARLC's fault for not investing in Victoria's local competitions. Your sooky "look over there" retort is proof that adding professional rugby league teams to cities where the game is a minority sport won't do shit unless hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on developing it at the grassroots level. AwFuL have done that in NSW and Queensland since the 90s for very little return.

You're off with the fairies if you think that adding an NRL club in Perth will lead to RL becoming a major sport in WA.

Let's get one thing straight. You're not really interested in growing the game. That's just an excuse you're using to get a team in Perth. If you truly cared about growing the game then you wouldn't take the piss out of the PNG bid. If you cannot see how strengthening RL in PNG will grow the game at the international level then there's no hope for you. I've seen you sook over Origin having higher status than Test RL, yet now you're whinging about the NRL trying to help the game grow outside of Australia.

We've got a plan to grow Test RL across the Pacific and your response is to heap shit on it because you view it as a threat to Perth getting the 18th licence!

In the past I did think Sydney had too many teams. If I was creating the competition from scratch then I wouldn't have nine teams in one city, but that's a hypothetical that has no bearing with reality. As long as the nine clubs in Sydney are viable then they have a right to compete in the NRL.
Let's be honest, you've suddenly changed your tune on Sydney (after years and years of railing against it) because it now suits your agenda.

Your next agenda is to claim the Storm are some huge failure.

- Bigger average crowds then 2/3rds of the NRL
- Got a new purpose built rectangular stadium a Decade before the home of RL(Sydney) had even one.
- 350k people watching the 2023 NRL GF
- State of Origin ratings increasing year of year
- More Vic born and/or raised NRL players then ever

You're an agenda driven dickhead

flippikat

Bench
Can someone tell that afl loving simpleton from perth that since 1982 rugby league has added teams to:
Canberra
Illawarra
Brisbane
Newcastle
New Zealand
North Queensland
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Brisbane (north).

9 teams in 41 years = on average 1 new team every 4.5 years. Not bad for an organisation that lacks vision.
Yet only ONE of those in AFL-land, while Perth & Adelaide were sacrificed within 2-3 years of their debut.

So, visionary if "solidifying our heartland markets" is visionary.. but not so much in taking on our biggest Australian competitor.

Nor is it visionary in taking on our biggest NZ competitor - Super Rugby - on this side of the ditch.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yet only ONE of those in AFL-land, while Perth & Adelaide were sacrificed within 2-3 years of their debut.

So, visionary if "solidifying our heartland markets" is visionary.. but not so much in taking on our biggest Australian competitor.

Nor is it visionary in taking on our biggest NZ competitor - Super Rugby - on this side of the ditch.

Another one obsessed with competitors. So lets ignore Newcastle, Gold Coast, North Queensland, Auckland and put a team in Adelaide because fumbleball are there.

You're confusing vision with delusion.

flippikat

Bench
Another one obsessed with competitors. So lets ignore Newcastle, Gold Coast, North Queensland, Auckland and put a team in Adelaide because fumbleball are there.

You're confusing vision with delusion.
I also mentioned NZ and taking on Rugby Union, yet you didn't even think to address that.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I also mentioned NZ and taking on Rugby Union, yet you didn't even think to address that.
I did address that and I will again. Who cares about our competitors. People who watch union or any other sport aren't going to flip just because you put a team there.

Sort yourself out, then grow. That's what the nrl has done. Much better strategy then filling dots on maps and then throwing money at those dots for decades, just to match a competitor.

flippikat

Bench
I did address that and I will again. Who cares about our competitors. People who watch union or any other sport aren't going to flip just because you put a team there.

Sort yourself out, then grow. That's what the nrl has done. Much better strategy then filling dots on maps and then throwing money at those dots for decades, just to match a competitor.
Great, so WHEN exactly does the "then grow" stage happen? Because other big sports competitions have ALREADY seen value in (ahem) "dots on maps", as you call it...

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Great, so WHEN exactly does the "then grow" stage happen? Because every other big sports competition has ALREADY seen value in (ahem) "dots on maps", as you call it...
Melbourne. Auckland. North Queensland. Dolphins. Gold Coast. Look at that, not just consolidation but growth too. At the same time.

Fumbleball was already in wa and sa, yet that gets counted as visionary expansion?

So how's the value of wgs or western farce going for our competitors? One mob is pissing hundreds of millions a year up the wall, the other is f**king broke.

docbrown

Coach
Howbout we hope to get both or all, f**k this 20 team mentality, lets push for 24, then all bases are covered, bears, pirates, jets, bulls, rams, firehawks, png etc
Colors aren't an issue, ive said for a long time choise the black and gold of WA add a tertiary color that sets them apart...
WA state isn't a club, so as long as it doesn't conflict with QLD or NSW wont matter what color the pirates pick, my preference is go the black and yellow, with an orange trim
That's the thing. 24 is actually feasible for the NRL. It's just the order of the roll out that people complain about and some on here are extremely biased. Unlike AFL, the NRL can get players from any country that plays league or union. The idea of game quality diminishing is illusory. Anybody who has lived in the states can tell you that even though fans know only 2 teams can make it to the Super Bowl or World Series, things like the Division and Conference finals make for miniature battle along the way. As the NRL expands they just need to build those into their competition.

Ideally with 7-8 new teams we'd cover Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Wellington, Christchurch, PNG, Brisbane 3 and potentially the Sunshine Coast. Have a 4 division of 6 teams or 6 divisions of 4 teams etc. 1 or 2 Qld divisions, a NZ division, a VIC/SA/WA division etc. That's 3 entire countries essentially given saturation coverage.

Colk

First Grade
That's the thing. 24 is actually feasible for the NRL. It's just the order of the roll out that people complain about and some on here are extremely biased. Unlike AFL, the NRL can get players from any country that plays league or union. The idea of game quality diminishing is illusory. Anybody who has lived in the states can tell you that even though fans know only 2 teams can make it to the Super Bowl or World Series, things like the Division and Conference finals make for miniature battle along the way. As the NRL expands they just need to build those into their competition.

Ideally with 7-8 new teams we'd cover Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2, Wellington, Christchurch, PNG, Brisbane 3 and potentially the Sunshine Coast. Have a 4 division of 6 teams or 6 divisions of 4 teams etc. 1 or 2 Qld divisions, a NZ division, a VIC/SA/WA division etc. That's 3 entire countries essentially given saturation coverage.

I’d admire your enthusiasm but we surely don’t have the population for 24 teams. 20 is hard enough to justify really.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is the actual latest news on a WA bid for the NRL? Is it happening or is it just bullshit?
Just waiting for nrl to decide when and where it wants club 18.
WA govt has funded the business case and bid development,
perth consortium is ready to bid, awaiting to hear if it will be in partnership with a second tier entity or stand alone,
WA premier has had conversations with vlandys about what they are offering which seems to have changed his mind about Perths viability.
just a question of time now to see what the arlc decide they want to do next.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Just waiting for nrl to decide when and where it wants club 18.
WA govt has funded the business case and bid development,
perth consortium is ready to bid, awaiting to hear if it will be in partnership with a second tier entity or stand alone,
WA premier has had conversations with vlandys about what they are offering which seems to have changed his mind about Perths viability.
just a question of time now to see what the arlc decide they want to do next.
What's the latest West Coast bid news?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are the only person in the world who would consider any of those colours or combinations whacky or polarising. Every one of those combinations I brought up are used by some of the most famous and successful brands in world sport lol.

It isn't even hard to find 'decent' examples of these colours in use, even pink and brown (Inter Miami, St. Pauli, Cleveland, etc) which are harder to pull off.

This is all just nonsense post hoc justification to do something very stupid because you are married to a brand that barely exists at all, and are personally incapable of envisioning anything different.

Who f**king cares!

Plenty of pro team schemes are influenced by state or official colours. Just in the NRL alone the Broncos, Raiders, Storm, both the Warriors schemes, and almost certainly others, include official colours as elements of their brands.

This is only a problem in your head.
Why are you so upset about something That may never happen? Chill man. I think we can create something unique and relevant to WA and our brand whatever that may end up being. But it should be something that sells well and that people are happy to wear the merch of. I’m not seeing many people walking around in Pink and brown clothing items!
if we end up getting the WC Pirates into the NRL then predominantly black with old gold and dash of red or white works for the brand and is a nice nod back to the reds, if it’s a different brand then it could be anything. as long as it’s not blue!

IMG_1497.jpeg

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
No news is good news lol
but no, it’s all quiet on the western front
Why is it good news?
At this point you'd want it in the news every week..
Meanwhile eyes will be on NZ where high quality test matches will be held...
What's the strategy out there? Be forgotten about?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why is it good news?
At this point you'd want it in the news every week..
Meanwhile eyes will be on NZ where high quality test matches will be held...
What's the strategy out there? Be forgotten about?
Becaise it means the nrl still hasnt decided where club 18 will be or of if there will be announcements about club 19 and 20.

not really we’ve been down that road twice before and got burnt badly. Being in the media isnt going to sway nrls decision, it just leaves egg on face of successful businessmen leading bids and frustration of fans.

if the bid and govt werent talking to the commission I’d be concerned, but we know they are and are now waiting on the commission deciding where to call for bids from. Vlandys will by now have a good idea of what perth is offering, if it’s enough to see them invited to be club 18, and if the nrl has a genuine desire to open up new markets, only time will tell.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Becaise it means the nrl still hasnt decided where club 18 will be or of if there will be announcements about club 19 and 20.

not really we’ve been down that road twice before and got burnt badly. Being in the media isnt going to sway nrls decision, it just leaves egg on face of successful businessmen leading bids and frustration of fans.

if the bid and govt werent talking to the commission I’d be concerned, but we know they are and are now waiting on the commission deciding where to call for bids from. Vlandys will by now have a good idea of what perth is offering, if it’s enough to see them invited to be club 18, and if the nrl has a genuine desire to open up new markets, only time will tell.
I can't believe how much you wrote to say nothing. This has consumed you .

Latest posts