What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
What do people think our predominant colour should be out of red,black and gold club colours? I am thinking mainly scarlet red home jersey and black away.

Since the Illasox wear their Steelers heritage jersey like twice a year I'd say the WCP should be looking at using a primarily bright red jersey with yellow/black chevron/trim.

Plain red is such a strong colour and is so severely underused in the NRL

GAZF

First Grade
What do people think our predominant colour should be out of red,black and gold club colours? I am thinking mainly scarlet red home jersey and black away.

Red primary jersey. Gold secondary jersey. Gives the best contrast

Goddo

Bench
Article below basically says the ARLC wants regular games in Perth over the next few years, until they expand there.

It really is shut the gate time on the expansion argument. Its Perth and a "Brisbane" bid.

Fait accompli.

REGULAR Sunday twilight games may be played in Perth next season so they can be broadcast in the eastern states on Sunday evenings.

Acting ARL Commission chief executive Shane Mattiske and director of development Andrew Hill were in Perth for Saturday night's Manly-Warriors match and met with various WA government department officials about supporting more NRL fixtures.

The Herald understands the ARLC is keen on the matches to help provide a new Sunday evening timeslot to sell to television networks as part of the new broadcast deal, and Western Australia Rugby League chief executive John Sackson confirmed plans to play at least three games in Perth next season.

''The networks are looking at how they can best leverage the time difference and I have heard that they are looking at the prospect of twilight games on a Sunday,'' Sackson said.

''The NRL are already talking about the likelihood of three fully fledged NRL fixtures over here next year. They have identified Western Australia as a real key, priority market and they are looking at ways and means they can continue to develop the game here.

''One of the ways they are looking at it is to get at least three games into Perth next season and perhaps the year after. Hopefully that will lead into us having a West Coast Pirates team running out every second week.''

The WARL's bid for a team received a further boost on Saturday night when a crowd of 20,095 attended Paterson's Stadium to watch Manly snatch a 24-22 win over the Warriors.

The attendance bettered the 15,559 who saw Brisbane beat South Sydney 20-12 earlier this year and was bigger than the crowds for the two matches in Sydney on Saturday night, with 15,650 cheering the Bulldogs to victory over North Queensland at ANZ Stadium and 7,848 watching Cronulla lose to Penrith at Toyota Stadium.

''David Perry and Scott Penn from Manly rolled the dice and I guess took a bit of a gamble to play the game here, but they were very happy with the game financially and obviously the icing on the cake was the result,'' Sackson said.

The Rabbitohs have one year remaining on a five-year deal to play a match in Perth and it is understood that Melbourne, Brisbane and Wests Tigers are other clubs the ARLC and broadcasters are keen to play there.

''We had a couple of government departmental meetings with Shane and Andrew on Friday and all of those government departments reflected their support for the game and the prospect of an NRL franchise in Perth,''Sackson said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...gular-games-20120729-236ju.html#ixzz223lVSW3G

flamin

Juniors
Good article from WA:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/14401704/rugby-league-comes-of-age/

Rugby league comes of age
Nick Taylor, The West Australian
July 30, 2012,

Rugby league Tests, World Cup fixtures, the National Rugby League All-Stars game and more NRL premiership matches are on the horizon for Perth - and the WA Rugby League has been told to keep working towards its own NRL side.

Australian Rugby League Commission acting chief executive Shane Mattiske was among the 20,095 spectators at Patersons Stadium on Saturday and saw Manly's remarkable comeback to beat the New Zealand Warriors 24-22 and stay in contention for the finals.

He also had talks with the State Government and the Department of Sport and Recreation about the future of the game in Perth.

"West Australian rugby league is a growth market for the game and we'll continue to invest in it," Mattiske said.

"Saturday's game was a strong sign that we need to continue the focus in terms of television coverage and bringing major rugby league events to Perth.

"Perth is certainly in the frame for major events."

The ARLC expects to announce a new television deal within months that could lead to a further two teams in the 2015 competition.

"The ARL Commission is working through a five-year strategic plan aligned to the broadcast negotiations. At the conclusion we will be able to make an indication in terms of the games expansion," Mattiske said.

"We've been in meetings with the WA Rugby League and clearly communicating that the WA market is important and we are continuing to focus on that.

"They need to allow our planning and negotiations to progress."

WARL chairman Richard Campbell said Saturday's match had been a great advertisement for the game and was pleased with the discussions with Mattiske.

"The turnout demonstrated the support for rugby league in WA," Campbell said.

"The commission is confident that WA rugby league is strong and happy with the structure that we have in place.

"In the immediate future we can expect more NRL games and we can work with that. We are working feverishly in the background, making sure that everything is in place for an announcement."

juro

Bench
It was great to see the impressive crowd over there on the weekend, especially compared to some of the very low crowds in other games.

Question for the guys in WA: How much media attention did the game on the weekend generate, both before and after the game? eg - time in nightly news bulletins?

And how come the Perth crowds are strong, but the TV ratings are weak?

Perth Tiger

Bench
well the olympics have taken over the media so it is hard to judge the media attention but it got a pretty good write up in the Sunday paper.

The bid team do a pretty good job of letting most of the RL comunnity know when the games are on and encourage people to get out and support RL and the WA bid.

The TV stations on the other hand rarely advertise what time the game is on and the times are pretty bad of tv viewers. Friday starts at 5.30 when people are only just getting home from work or having dinner and Sunday starts at 4, the same time as fox so I (and most people) watch the game on fox instead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great news and wonderful the ARLC were there to see the support for the game first hand. Wonder if they are kicking themselves at the decision not to hold the Test in Perth in October?

In terms of media covg, it did ok with Manly's trip to the kids hospital and coaching clinic with the kids shown on prime time news.The West Australia covered it quite well but they are notoriously fickle at not covering sport that doesn't have a Perth team in it so always going to be a uphill battle with them until the Pirates are in the NRL.

In terms of TV figures, the methodology is so poor in terms of sample size that it is very difficult to make any accurate assumptions of smallish viewing figures. The other thing Ch9 did was to shift the Sunday game from a live spot on Ch9 to a delayed spot on GEM. This saw the reported figures drop dramatically as many RL fans have Fox here after years of not getting the game on FTA and FOX show the Sunday game at the same delayed time in WA. Like me most peopl will be tune in to Fox to watch it ad free.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like they may be looking to test the waters with a live Sunday evening game out of Perth. Reckon a 5:30/6pm KO in Perth during Winter is perfect and will see big crowds for the games. NIB is due to be ready for Mar/Apr next year so we can move back there and fill the place.

DC_fan

Coach
Yes 2014 and 2015 are still a few years away and no official decision has yet been made to bring the Pirates in to the competition.

But maybe its time to discuss who should be coach, CEO and players the team should be looking to sign.

I will throw Todd Greenburgs name in as CEO. Rated by many as the best in the game at the moment.

As for coach, well what about Craig Bellamy. He has the name, experience and most importantly the success. After 10 yers of service with the Storm he could be looking for a new challenge.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn't be disappointed in Bellamy! More realistically we could go for Nathan Brown who has done a great job in SL with maybe a senior player manager to help with development of our Jnr and reserve strucutres, maybe someone like Graham Murray?

Presuming we aren't talking Benny Elias (lol) I would quite like to see a CEO from WA and wouldn't be adverse to stealing someone from AFL here. Add into that executive team a GM with NRL experience (maybe the guy from NQ Cowboys who started out at Western Reds and has done a great job with them?).

Players I hope we can bring back some WA connected players and some star SL English players. We have 9 SG Ball Jnrs in Toyota cup at mo so some of them may be ready to step up to 1st grade in 2015. Bring Cory Paterson back from SL, maybe the Bryson wingers if they are still up to it and Jon Green, Jarrod Saffy back from RU and then 2 or 3 marquee signings from other clubs. We need to hit the ground running and not be a 7 year basket case like the Western Force!

Main thing I want to see is the ARLC start to invest some serious money into the WARL and support us to really grow the grassroots game here so we can have our own players coming through as soon as possible. An investment of $2mill a year from 2013 would be awsome in giving us the resources to really get into schools and boost our Jnr numbers. Expansion into WA can't just be about 1st grade and what value we bring to TV execs, it needs to be a strategy that grows the whole of the game. This is the main reason we need the Pirates to triumph over Sage's top only interests.

Goddo

Bench
Wouldn't be a bad idea to target Sam Tomkins to fill fulback - he is keen to play in the NRL from his comments, he is quality, exchange rate makes it enticing, and he is comming off contract around 2014-15 from memory.

I think his next contract will be with an NRL club. Get in there Pirates.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh Sam Tomkins should be our key target, Perth lifestyle is going to be a major drawcard for players. Probably why 66 out of 88 want to see Perth as the expansion team! Josh Charnley at Wigan would be great at centre for us as well. Reckon there will be a lot of players who build 2015 get out clauses in their contracts as the two new clubs look to fill their rosters.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yeah i would to trying to pick up anyone with a WA connection and then try and cherry pick the best of of the UK with Tomkins being at the top of the list.

If 2 teams are brought in at the same time it will make it difficult to attract big names from the east without paying overs but the poms are moving away from home anyway to come the NRL so it puts us on a level playing field.

I would also love to see us pick up one or two frenchies from Catalans. With a bit of media training and success they would be a real point of difference in marketing the team

DIOGENES

Juniors
Yeah
I would also love to see us pick up one or two frenchies from Catalans. With a bit of media training and success they would be a real point of difference in marketing the team

You don't have to go to Catalonia mate, you can get them in most pub toilets.

(Someone had to say it)

dimitri

First Grade
PERTH SET TO HOST MORE NRL GAMES

http://sportbizinsider.com.au/news/perth-set-to-host-more-nrl-games-as-it-awaits-expansion-decision/

The Australian Rugby League Commission is expected to send at least three matches to Perth next season with the possibility of more regular matches under the terms of a new TV deal.

Interim ARLC chief executive Shane Mattiske and director of development Andrew Hill were in Perth for Saturday night’s Manly-Warriors match which drew a crowd of more than 20,000 fans to Subiaco Oval. They met with WA government departmens and the WARL boss John Sackson about playing more games there.

Sackson and the WARL are behind a bid to bring an NRL team to Perth. Although no timetable has been set for expansion, 2015 is considered likely.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the ARLC is keen on regular west coast matches to help provide a new Sunday evening time slot to sell to television networks as part of the new broadcast deal.

”The networks are looking at how they can best leverage the time difference and I have heard that they are looking at the prospect of twilight games on a Sunday,” Sackson told the paper.

”The NRL are already talking about the likelihood of three fully fledged NRL fixtures over here next year. They have identified Western Australia as a real key, priority market and they are looking at ways and means they can continue to develop the game here.

”One of the ways they are looking at it is to get at least three games into Perth next season and perhaps the year after. Hopefully that will lead into us having a West Coast Pirates team running out every second week.”

LJC

Juniors
Looks promising.
A 4pm game would be aired in the East Coast at 7pm. Ideal on a Sunday. For mine, I believe Sunday evening games should replace Mondays. It is way too much of an inconvenience for clubs and fans. I know it (Monday Nights)rates well on TV , but so can Sundays. Everyone is home! Remember we used to have Sunday night footy on free to air TV years ago. Pay TV can reap the rewards instead. It worked well!
Games in WA on Saturday afternoons/evenings could also work very well!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would only be 7pm for first few rounds then goes to 2 hours time difference unless we ever bring in daylight saving again!

5pm Perth ko, 7 pm Sunday night live would be perfect for crowds and tv ratings.

Latest posts