What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
16'000 tickets sold so far for tommorows game. Weather forecast great. May crack 20'000 with a good walk up!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Work underway on Pirates new home

Construction commences at nib Stadium

Portfolio: Sport and Recreation, Finance
Works under way on $95.14million redevelopment
Completion of major construction works expected by March 2013
Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron today turned the sod on the State Government’s $95.14million upgrade of nib Stadium in East Perth.

With work having started on July 2, changes including the dismantling of the temporary eastern and southern grandstands, are already visible onsite.

“Back in June I announced that all temporary sections of nib Stadium would be replaced within the $95.14million budget, and that BGC Construction had been awarded the head construction contract for the redevelopment,” Mr Waldron said.

“The Department of Sport and Recreation has assisted BGC in arranging the removal of the temporary grandstands and the builder has wasted no time getting started, ensuring this project progresses at a pace to minimise impact on the sporting codes involved.”

Finance Minister Simon O’Brien said he was pleased with the progress of work and was looking forward to another State Government project being delivered on-time and on-budget.

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Default.aspx?ItemId=150562

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't worry nib stadium will be ready long before we enter. Although looking at tonight's crowd they may need to bring forward phase 2 to get it up to 25,000!

joshie

Live Update Team
Awesome work from Perth to get that many to the ground and even have a few Pirates flags through the ground. This bid has momentum now.

Quidgybo

Bench
A thought. Should the Perth/WA Reds brand be maintained for use by Flegg/NYC and/or a future NSW Cup side? Thinking long term, assuming the Pirates get the nod, when the time comes to consider a second NRL side based in Perth it might be useful to be able to build on a brand that has some history and low level awareness with the general public. Would allow the second side to get a jump on public acceptance and give a Pirates vs Reds derby some real bite from day one.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Won't be two teams in Perth ever. If we run a nsw cup team I can see them being named to have a link back to Pirates. Buccaneers maybe?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do people think our predominant colour should be out of red,black and gold club colours? I am thinking mainly scarlet red home jersey and black away.

RedVee

First Grade
Does the WA state team have a nickname? Maybe give them the Reds to use like SA's rep team use the Rams.

Yes, I thought that when the pirates name was announced. Fits with Blues and Maroons as well. Is the Qld Union team using Reds an issue?

What do people think our predominant colour should be out of red,black and gold club colours? I am thinking mainly scarlet red home jersey and black away.
Sounds good, though a lot of clubs seem to have a mainly white jersey to roll out at times. Or would white with red,black,gold trim evoke Reds memories?
Maybe keep the Red/Scarlet (with black/gold trim?) for the State team?

RedVee

First Grade
Great to see the crowd last night, they got to witness a pretty exciting match as well. Hopefully there were a few 'undecideds' there to be converted.

The thing with the West Coast bid is, IMO, it is the only bid location that just about everybody wants in. I hope that counts for something.

I hope there are a few more games taken over next year as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well when you consider 20k paying $30-50+ corporates plus govt funding Manly must have made a mint! I'd be surprised if other clubs aren't considering taking a game to Perth next season.